[Review] Mf Xdacv3 & X10v3 Modified By Zanash

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by STELLABAGPUSS, Apr 26, 2006.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Second that in regards to the XPSUV3, for the money....it's a rip off.I could have bulit one myself. However it makes a big difference on the XDACV3 & X10V3 compared to running the wallwart unit. I can't really comment on the XPSUV3 running a X can unit. The truth is the nearly all MF's X Series are mainly well thought out (Apart from the X10V3), but it's the quality of the components that are fitted, that let the side down, cheapo everything.

In regards to Mike, he started off nice, but as soon as Zanash posted on the DIY section of his forum, Mike seemed to be a little ****ed, thinking that Zanash was trying to take trade away from him.

Anyway Dito on Zanash, I've have since learn't so much from people like himself on various HI-FI forums, it's good to know that it's not all about money!

STELLABAGPUSS, Jun 18, 2006
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for your message. :) Always good to hear from those who have modded the X-DAC etc, as it helps focus the mind on what "must" be done.

I've very often thought of replacing the internal wiring in all my X-COMPONENTS (X-CANS, X-DAC V3, and X-10V3), but have never got round to it. However, I do know what a massive difference good silver-based interconnects and speaker cable can make.

I too have thought that the essential "weak-link" of any X-COMPONENTS based system is the relatively poor quality of the PSU cables. I'd appreciate any help you can give here. :) :)

I've read elsewhere of Zanash's comprehensive mods to the X-DAC V3. As far as I know, he was the first to experiment and significantly improve this device.

And recently my mind has turned to my own prospective "improvements" to X-DAC V3. Obviously, the JAMICON caps will have to go. In all likelihood, I'll replace with PANASONIC FCs, although I hear BLACKGATES work very well. Also a ripe area for upgrade are the 6 output buffering op-amps. I wonder if I replaced the stock 5532 op-amps for something "better" - a BURR BROWN OPA2134 or OPA 2604, or an AD823 or OP275 - would it bring improvements to the sound or simply degrade it? The 5532 may be old and cheap but they are still very well respected in audio circles. As to the internal wiring, well, you and Zanash already have invaluable experience of that particular mod.

Thanks again for your message. :) Greatly appreciated. :)

Fergus.

Fergus, Jun 18, 2006
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

I'm not a fan of blackgates so can't comment on them in the x series, other than the ones I've heard which for me don't live upto the hype. The pannas are great from the off. Do consider that the six opamps are there for a reason ! the biggest change will be from the last pair, but swapping the others will have an effect but they may alter the filtering regime too much, so care must be taken. As to which opamps thats quite personal, I like the 604 series as its cheap ! [there mono's in the dac] also 2132/2134 series but if you want top performance you need the 627 or AD845 IMO, but they do not come cheap. Remember to fit a good socket so future swaps are easy. The power cable can be changed but I've only built a couple and not heard them !!

zanash, Jun 19, 2006
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks Zanash

:) Thanks Zanash,

When I said the BLACKGATES worked "very well", I wasn't commenting from experience, merely hearsay. I also "hear" they take an age to burn-in. My own opinion is that they are vastly over-priced: surely, the sonic benefits they bring could not be justified money-wise. :yikes:

To me, the science of op-amps is a "dark art", much akin to alchemy. :confused: As with the BLACKGATES, I've no direct, hands on, experience of op-amps. As you say, which op-amp you choose is highly personal. Maybe if I stay within the 5532 family of op-amps. Obviously, not all 5532s are the same. That way, I won't f*** up to badly. I could perhaps change the stock JRC5532s and replace it with one from PHILLIPs or SIGNETICs. Is it right that ANALOGUE DEVICES are going to produce a 5532 chip?

Fergus

Fergus, Jun 19, 2006
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

look for the AN spec [if you can get them still] these are specially selected chips on grounds of performance. But the opa604's should see off the the pedestrian 5532's by a country mile....well they do for me anyway.

oh yes there are some good comentaries on opamps and sound if you google or look for Dejan V. Veselinovic ex of TNT fame [?]

zanash, Jun 20, 2006
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

Just thought I would give you all a update on my XDACV3. Thanks to Zanash guidence,I have now replaced the Audio Output Caps and 2 of the 6 Op Amps....So was it worth it?

Firstly I swapped the 2 x Starget Caps for what I believe are called Paper in Oil Caps. They are green in colour, but sadly I can't see a manufactures name on them, these caps are hugh in size, so you have to be carefull where you place them, thankfully I used cable ties to reduced movment.

Straight from it off, it was noticable that these OIL/PAPER Caps made a big improvement, firstly the Lower Frequencies were now clearer, but with the balance being right,and not over blown ,this resulted in a warmer sound, the imageing now grew in size. The high frequencies also came across as being sweeter, and not as harse as the stargets. If anything, the sound is now closer to my Modded X10V3, although it still dosen't have the hugh soundstage that X10V3 has. At least the XDACV3 isn't as dry sounding now, it's certainly more musical than prior to the starget being fitted.
    Now the Opamps, I'm decided to change them purely to see what the accaimed AD826 was like having read good comments. I must point out that the 2 x burr browns OPA2604 they have replaced are very good to my hears, and between the ne5532 there was no competion.
    So yes, there was an improvement when I fitted the AD826,the most noticeable being the speed of the high frequencies were a little faster, but the major trump card for me was the high frequencies quality, Cymbals and Other percussional just seem less splashly, and generally cleaner.
    As you can guess, I'm very happy with the mod's, all thats left really is to upgrade some resistors, but I will leave that for another day. Now all I have to do is repair my X10V3, shame on me being so clumsy!

STELLABAGPUSS, Jun 26, 2006
  7. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

The green cap are straight from the old USSR's military surplus ...off a chap in lithuainia [fleabay] they are 2uf2 400v and are the size of 1.5 x C cells so you have to have room to fit ! the 0.1uf are the size of a AAA ! but again very good.

I was very suprised at the quality and speed of supply and would recommend the seller.

zanash, Jun 27, 2006
  8. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Well done again you two. :)

The output stage was, for me, a bit of a problem. Personally, I was going to fit a good electrolytic, then bypass it with a polyprop. But again the ingenious Zanash comes up thrumps with a simplier and sonically better solution. :D What values are the military surplus caps - 2uF or 0.1UF? And is this guy fleaboy on e-bay?

Good to see an experiment with op-amps. Also good to see they bring noticeable sonic improvements. :D By the way, are the op-amps in the X-DAC V3 dual or mono, because they seem to be placed in parallel? (I've just found out the AD826 is duel - doh!!!)

Fergus

Fergus, Jun 27, 2006
  9. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

zanash, Jun 27, 2006
  10. STELLABAGPUSS

Not sure about the dual/mono placement in the XDACV3 Opamps, TBH I was just recommended th AD826, and being that I had sockets already in place, I just swapped them and listened.

You should really take a listen to those Russian Caps, it has really transformed my sound, making everything more musical.

STELLABAGPUSS, Jun 28, 2006
  11. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

Hello Earl , Small World,

nando, Jun 28, 2006
  12. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Zanash's mods to the X-DAC V3 are comprehensive and, as far as I can read, highly successful.

However, is the following suggestion (not mine I hasten to add) viable. Can the output stage of the X-DAC V3 be "bypassed" altogether and the DAC chip (24 bit DELTA SIGMA) "coupled directly to the output jacks through a high quality film cap."

Fergus

Fergus, Sep 27, 2006
  13. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

yes and no, you could put me in a very difficult possicion as i am a dealer, how ever it does void the guarantee, but yes it can be done at your peril.

nando, Sep 27, 2006
  14. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

p.s. change caps and resistors, pref. black gates.schhh...

nando, Sep 27, 2006
  15. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks Nando,

Guarantee just about the expire, so I'm safe enough there. Already have the caps. BLACKGATES are too expensive, so I'll try PANASONIC FCs - they're very good in other MF products.

The "at your own peril" suggests some potential danger and sends a shiver down my spine. Don't worry. Not being that proficient with a soldering iron, or indeed the specifics of the technology, I'll leave that particular mod to the professionals.

Fergus

P.S. Would be interested to know what resistor you'd recommend, and where to buy them?

Fergus, Sep 28, 2006
  16. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

resistors, there are many makes you can get , tolerance "god" + or - 5% variation , having said that i can not guide you any further as i don't know what mods you and company are doing, to me as a dealer much rather not get involved , regards nando.

nando, Sep 28, 2006
  17. STELLABAGPUSS

Why not give Zanash a PM, I'm sure be would be more than willing to offer some advice, he certainly done a superb job on mine, there are also some easy mods on the unit that can be done yourself, change the internal wiring, which you would have to have basic soldering skills, and I do mean basic! Damping the case and chips, TBH even the Panasonic FC Caps are easy. The biggest improvement was a change of Audio Output Cap, Zanash gave me some Green Coloured Ex Russian Miltary, Paper In Oil Caps, they are a bit of pain to fit,simply due to there size, but what a difference... everything is simply more musical, and although you will never escape that digital sound totally, it certainly sounds a little more like analog. You can PM myself if I can be of any further help as well.

STELLABAGPUSS, Sep 29, 2006
  18. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Does anybody know where I could pick up a couple of AD826 op-amps for the X-DAC V3?

Fergus, Oct 18, 2006
  19. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 18, 2006
  20. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks.

RS has discontinued the AD826; maybe it's not RoHS compliant. Farnell are also out of stock. I was hoping someone out there might have a couple to spare.

Fergus, Oct 18, 2006
Ask a Question