[Review] Mf Xdacv3 & X10v3 Modified By Zanash

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by STELLABAGPUSS, Apr 26, 2006.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

I Can Find Out Tomorrow From My Work Shop Tomorrow, Maybe Have Some Left, Nando.

nando, Oct 18, 2006
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks a million, Nando.

Fergus, Oct 18, 2006
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Sorry about that Fergus, I forgot to check the stock status before sending the link. Good luck looking for AD826

STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 19, 2006
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

It seems very hard to source the AD826 anywhere online. Farnell e-mailed me this morning, saying that they no longer stocked the AD826 in the UK, but if I paid them an up-front £15 they could get me some within 2/3 days.

I wonder would the AD845 be a suitable alternative?

Fergus, Oct 19, 2006
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

personally , i don't think that those op-amps will go"and" work well with the m.f. gear, but if you want them we can get them however if you are willing to modifie to a grade that will make "quote" a significance, being to your liking or not , it will be a gamble. but all of us as individuals have a different and personal taste of the way we listen to music, to each it's own, if you can tell me what you want to get more of your M.F. maybe i can help you more, regards nando.

nando, Oct 19, 2006
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

I can personally recommend the AD826, in my XDACV3, Although I've have never heard the AD845,it's is supposed to be up there with the AD826. The main thing is to have socket soldered in place, and just have go and listen for yourself! The cheap 5534's that are in the XDACV3 are really cheap to replace if you end up not enjoying the sound, so would only be a case of dropping some 5534 back into the sockets.

When my unit came back from Zanash, he replaced the 5534 with a Burr Brown OPA2604, these made a big difference to sound, in terms of space and the speed that percussion of music. TBH swapping over to AD826 was an improvement, but not a hugh one, more of a suttle one, the improvements being "to my ears" timing and a better natural presentation.I could honestly live with the OPA2604 if I had to go back, yes....the difference is that small IMO.

I still have to 2 x OPA2604 if you want them, you can have for nothing if you like Fergus ? Just PM me with your address, and you can give them a go.

What mods have done on your XDACV3 so far Fergus ?

7. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Thanks for your kind offer, but I've already ordered a couple of OPA2604s from farnell, along with a good quality 8 pin IC socket.

I haven't started modding the DAC yet. To tell you the truth, I'm a bit reticent about it. I don't mind modding the X-CAN or even the X-10, but I don't like messing around with sensitive digital equipment. However, my brother is pretty good around electronics, I think I'll get him to do it.

I think you're right about the "subtle" differences between op-amps. There's a point you get to when the differences between certain components is very minimal, at which case it's a matter of personal preferences.

My own choices are very much guided by your's and Zanash's experiments with the X-DAC. What's the OPA2604 like? I've heard differing opinions about it: some say it warm sounding, others that it's cold and analytical.

Hopefully, Nando will be able to get me two AD826s. If not, I'll go with the 2604s.

Thanks again.

Fergus

PS I'm also going to try the big Russian PIO caps, as you did. I'm also going to try them as bypass caps in the output stage of the X-CAN.

Fergus, Oct 19, 2006
  8. STELLABAGPUSS

TBH I would described the 2604 or 826 as being cold or warm in my set up,as they both display good High & low Frequenices & they are both can be analytical, with perhaps the 826 being more so than the 2604,as I've said this a very small difference between both Op Amps.

I can't say that I blame you being a bit worried DIYing the XDACv3, and TBH this is why I sent my unit to Zanash, although I done the easy mods myself, removing op amps and replacing with sockets was just to tricky for me.
    I can't stress how much you be surprised by what an improvement the Russian PIO caps make.
    If you are ever in West Wales, you could take a listen, but I'm guessing you are miles away!

9. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Just a bit - a couple of miles outside Belfast.

Fergus, Oct 19, 2006
  10. STELLABAGPUSS

I guess your name should have been a give away!
    Keep us up to date with your mods,as you go along!

11. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Just managed to source a couple of AD826s. Hooray!!!

Fergus, Oct 19, 2006
  12. STELLABAGPUSS

Great News Fergus, now you can play with both op amps, and see which you prefer !

13. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Hooray!! Hooray!!!

Fergus, Oct 19, 2006
  14. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

Did those bits and peices arrive safely ?

zanash, Oct 20, 2006
  15. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

Everything arrived okay. Thanks.

Fergus, Oct 20, 2006
  16. STELLABAGPUSS

Fergus

The OPA2604s arrived this morning. They are wrapped in "electrostatic conductive bags" because they can be damaged by electricity created by the body.

How can you best fit the op-amp without damaging it?

Fergus, Oct 20, 2006
  17. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

hi fergus, sorry that i took so long , got hold of T.I. AD826'S, my engineer can not guarantee that fitting them your self will make that much of a difference,, anyway the unit will have to go through test to see if they will work with the circuit, having said that i am not aware of what other changes you made, best regards, nando

nando, Oct 20, 2006
  18. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

don't wear nylon underwear ! or rub your self on a nylon carpet ...get a wrist band static eliminator if your worried. I've just got on and fitted them in the past and not had a problem yet.

zanash, Oct 21, 2006
  19. STELLABAGPUSS

nando nando

wow, good for you, people do things different, others are more precautious, with certain gear..nando.

nando, Oct 21, 2006
  20. STELLABAGPUSS

pim

Hello everybody!

May I join the club of happy X-DAC modders :) and especially to share my BIG thanks to Zanash and others for the great instructions!

I also documented my project in http://modhifi.blogspot.com/

- Pekka

pim, Oct 21, 2006
Ask a Question