[Review] NAD C320BEE Stero Integrated Amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Sep 24, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

NAD C320BEE Stero Integrated Amplifier

[​IMG]

As some of you know, I swapped amps about 3 weeks ago from a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS AV receiver to a NAD C320BEE stereo integrated amp. For some time, I'd been after better music performance, which the Yamaha was certainly not giving me. I traded in the Yamaha, MF X-ACT DAC and a pair of Mission m30 speakers, to get the NAD. I'd heard the NAD C320 before with a C520 CD player and always had been after that combination for a while. Having bought the excellent C521BEE CD player reviewed here a couple of years previously, which I've been extremely pleased with, I'd guessed my ears were in for a sonic treat.

Got it home and hooked it up with a pair of Mission m70s, the above CDP, my TT and PC. Build quality is excellent and it looks good in the titanium colour. I've put the amp on top of the CDP for ventilation.

Popped Dire Straits' 'Brothers in Arms' into the tray and headed for track 9. The realism of the thunderstorm at the beginning of the track is superb - very close to the real thing!

Sound is more detailed and open - I can hear instruments that I'd not heard before in songs. It appears to be more layered, rather than simply being lumped together. I

've also noticed that recordings that sounded compressed in the top end - such as Chicago - 21 and Phil Collins - Testify, definately sound better. There is definately compression there, but not as noticable as through my old amp. Treble is not harsh and fatiguing - one of the reasons I'm a fan of the C521BEE player is the warmth it offers - the C320BEE only improves upon this further. I use tone defeat, as I've had no need to tweak the bass/treble controlled.

Bass is punchy and fast, without sounding boomy and bloated. Timing appears to be good - certainly gets your toes tapping, wanting to spin tune after tune.

The headphone stage is excellent - I use a pair of Sony MDR-CD480 heaphones and do a fair bit of late night listening with them. No complaints with the sound quality.

I'm pretty sure the amp can go loud - haven't had a chance to play at loud volumes yet (you can bet I will when I get a chance), but it always appears to be very much in control of the music. It also sounds great at low volume levels too.

I've just replaced the jumpers that go from the pre to power sockets with some silver links that Zanash has made up. They've improved detail even further than the spare QED Qunex 1 that I was using for a while. Sound definately has more air to it. I'm also testing one of his interconnects and will report back on my findings after a couple of days - I've been listening to mainly PC-based music tonight). However, the Top Gun soundtrack, that can sound pretty bright and compressed sounded superb earlier from CD.

This is an excellent amp that offers superb value for money and sounds great with a wide range of music - anything from Enigma, Diana Krall, Phil Collins, Chicago, Jean-Michel Jarre sounds good through this! Highly recommeneded and it's C521BEE CD player is an ideal partner.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
    nsherin, Sep 24, 2005
  2. nsherin

rockhopper

Hi there,

good review, seems a good amp too.

I was wondering if you have heard the C352T model?

From what I have read, this will be suitable to my Mordaunt-Short speakers. My speakers are quite power hungry, and bright sounding. I think the NAD should have more than enough power, and should warm the sound up too.

rockhopper, Nov 11, 2005
  3. nsherin

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, it rocks Rockhopper...it's what I have - well, got the c350 and c270 power amp...

needless to say, I sold on your MF x-80...

mr cat, Nov 11, 2005
  4. nsherin

rockhopper

Hi Mr Cat,

Is your C350 effectively used just as a pre-amp, leaving the power to the C270?? If so, is this a big improvement on the C350 by itself? Also, how does the C350 (by itself) compare to the X80?

Cheers.

rockhopper, Nov 11, 2005
  5. nsherin

rockhopper

I liked the sound of the X80, and dont want to buy another amp to find it is not as good. I would imagine the advantage of the C352 would be the extra power, which I need to run my speakers.

rockhopper, Nov 11, 2005
  6. nsherin

well, I prefered the sound of the nad - or rather - there wasn't any improvement on the nad with the x-80....the power amp adds a lot more grunt...

but in my ears - I did prefer the nad c350 (by itself) to the x-80

feel free to pop down for a demo - but I'm away next week

mr cat, Nov 11, 2005
  7. nsherin

rockhopper

what impressed me with the X80 was the speed, seperation, and detail. Would you say the C350 is at least on par in these areas?

Back to my other question, is your C350 used purely as a pre-amp, leaving the power to the C270?

Thanks for the offer of coming through for a demo. Its appreciated, I just cant seem to get much spare time at the moment. :( Which makes me wonder whether theres much point in buying an amp :confused:

rockhopper, Nov 11, 2005
  8. nsherin

Thanks Rockhopper! I'm certainly pleased with it - the move back to stereo from surround has definately enhanced my enjoyment of music/my system. Not had the opportunity to hear the 352CT, but if it's anything like the C320BEE, I expect it'll sound pretty good!

I run Mission m70 speakers with mine, which are quite bright - certainly were with my Sony TA-FE230 amp and to some extent my Yamaha HTR-5540RDS. The NAD has certainly tamed the brightness and I think also helps to contribute to the warm sound I get from my Rotel RT-940AX tuner, as Rotel gear can also err on the side of bright. Certainly all sounds good to my ears at any rate.

In fact, I'm also very impressed at how good MP3s sound through this amp using a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard as a source. For convenience, I use iTunes a fair bit (my CD collection/MP3 collection are catalogued with it, as well as using it for my iPod) and I'm pleasently surprised. Many people dismiss MP3, but given a half-decent amp and speakers, it can actually sound pretty good!

nsherin, Nov 12, 2005
  9. nsherin

rockhopper

Hi nsherin,

yeah im thinking of getting an ipod myself (probably nano), unfortunately though I doubt i'll be using it with my system as its set up in the loft now. I want something fairly basic for downstairs, so I am thinking of converting all my CDs to MP3 format (storing on my PC), and using a Nano with something like the Monitor Audio ipod system (I forget the name of it now). OK so I know it wont sound anything like my proper system, but it should be fine for background music.

I cant use a wireless network setup though as I dont have an internet connection at home.

Back to the amp, I think the C352CT is definately the way forward for my system. From what I have read about it, i'm fairly sure it will be well matched to my Mordaunt-Shorts... I hope.

I can get one for around £260 new, I think thats a pretty good deal. They dont come up 2nd hand very often for some reason..

rockhopper, Nov 14, 2005
  10. nsherin

well, to me the c350 sounded better...tho you may disagree...

with my c270 - i now bi-amp thus having speaker cables going to both amps...not suere if thats the same purpose as a pre amp setup...

no probls about the demo - but you should at least try to get a demo - even if it's getting a loan of the amp at your place...
    but i found the nad has a warmer sound...I guess both amps are as good as each other, just different characteristics

edit - having the power amp for AV duties is amazing...i was listening to U2 live and it blew me away!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
    mr cat, Nov 17, 2005
  11. nsherin

rockhopper

thanks,
    Was it U2 - Vertigo from Chicago on TV the other night? I watched the first half and thought it was great. Great band!

rockhopper, Nov 18, 2005
  12. nsherin

no, it was a dvd (live at Slane castle) - i did watch a bit of that program too - but i don't have my setup through my av amp for watching normal tv and i thought the sound was dull in comparison...lol!

mr cat, Nov 18, 2005
  13. nsherin

andrew1810

Sorry to jump in the thread here, but you don't need an internet connection to have a wireless network, just get an access point without broadband capabilities.

Andrew

andrew1810, Nov 18, 2005
  14. nsherin

Or, buy a broadband router (for future needs) and simply use the access point feature of it.

Enjoy the C352T - I'm sure it'll sound great - and £260 is a bargain! I'm certainly not regretting my purchase of the C320BEE. Listening to some Kate Bush (in MP3 format) with a few beers, through headphones and I've never heard MP3 sound so damn good!

nsherin, Nov 19, 2005
  15. nsherin

rockhopper

Hi nsherin,

thanks, yeah its looking like the C352 definately. I know what'll happen though - i'll buy it then they'll bring out a brand spanking new model straight away! Dont you hate it when that happens. I think the 352s been out a while now. As it is i'll have to wait for Santa anyway, so you never know there may be better things just around the corner..

i'll post a review once I get it anyway.

rockhopper, Nov 21, 2005
  16. nsherin

Would be interested to read your thoughts on it. Not sure what NAD have in the pipeline - their NetCap player that they announced end of last year/early this year seems to have been shevled. The new Master series (replacing the S series) also don't seem to be about yet....

nsherin, Nov 26, 2005
  17. nsherin

Douzeper

Hi folks! (first post here)

I have a NAD C372 and the NAD C542 CD Player pumping through B&W 704's, I love the NAD sound although its took me some time to get it the way I want with trying different cabling etc

Would love a NAD S300 but I need to save a few pounds (wish the kids would stop eating).

Douzeper, Dec 4, 2005
  18. nsherin

Welcome to ZG, Douzeper. Sounds like you have a very nice setup there. The S range and the new Master ranges are very nice. Wish I could afford either of those myself!

nsherin, Dec 4, 2005
  19. nsherin

buy yourself a c272 power amp...it'll work a treat!

mr cat, Dec 5, 2005
  20. nsherin

Douzeper

Been considering a C272, wondering would there be that much benefit along with the C372? I see it does recommend this in the manual though.

Would not be better with pre amp/power amp, or would the gains still be impressive?

Douzeper, Dec 5, 2005
Ask a Question