[Review] Naim CD555 and Nvi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Naim CD555 and Nvi

Tonight I attended a Billy Vee evening in Lewisham listening to the new CD555 and Nvi.

It was certainly interesting. Here's some thoughts:

Nvi. This is the new Naim all in one unit (think of it as a direct competitor to the Linn movie classic). It has a DVD player, 5 internal amps (digital ones), switch mode power supply and can have a DABS tuner module added.
    It was shown off using a Runco DLP projector. Can't say I liked the Runco as I got occasional "rainbow effect" glitches, which were rather offputting. Never seen them before with any projector (use an LCD myself).
    I have to say that the picture quality was pretty stunning. Much better 3D depth than my own 575a/AE500 combination, better resistance to smear during fast panning and movement and much better detail. Very impressive stuff.
    Unfortunately you then get to listen to it. Talk about drab. Simply the most boring Naim system I've ever heard, sounded like just about any other AV system. I tried a quick comparison on getting home with my own DVD>stereo>speakers setup, and my own system blew it out of the water.
    So, bit of mixed bag. The problem is why anyone would now bother. The audio side was pretty pants, and the video side will be superceeded next year with the advent of HD blue ray.

The CD555 is the new £20k Naim CDP and power supply. £14k for the player and £6k for the power supply.
    I missed some of the dem, so missed the movement through different bits being added into a CDS3 based system. I'm told that the power supply made one of the biggest jumps.
    Unfortunately it was far more difficult for me to get a handle on the CDP. The rest of the kit were a 552/500 and some behemoth B&Ws. The problem is that I simply haven't heard a pair of B&Ws I like, and these were no different. Just boring and with a stodgy bass. Add in the fact that I believe that Naim amps don't seperate instruments that well, and you're left with a hard job telling just how good the CDP is. My guess is that it's actually pretty damn good.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 2, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

JonR

Mike,

Interesting review - I'm going to hear the 555 in a couple of weeks. One thing I want to address about your post though - are you sure about those prices, because that's not what Naim have quoted.

Unless things have changed since they first announced it of course!

My understanding, however, is that the total cost of the new 555 (including power supply) is £14k, with head unit is £10k and the power supply is £4k. The power supply can be bought separately to upgrade the CDS3 or the CDX2.

Did Billy Vee tell you different?

Regards,

Jon

JonR, Dec 3, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Jon,
    Have to admit that the cost data was second hand from another chap there. So if they're wrong, I do apologise.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 3, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

I'm curious to how much better the CD555 is over the CDS3, which I find to be a superb cd player. Given that the new player is twice the price (or more), I'd expect a significant improvement in performance, but to be honest I think in that regard I might be disappointed. My own experience is that cd players start to hit the wall of diminishing returns far more quickly than speakers or amplifiers (or turntables) - and that that last 2% doubles the price.

Absolutely no plan to spend that kind of money on a cd player though - anyone who is really ought either to consider a cheaper player and donating some to charity or perhaps looking to (much) cheaper alteratives - I hear the GNSC Opus 21 (modified version of my CDP) is very nice indeed, and if my unit is fatally wounded it might make sense to get them to rebuilt it rather than Resolution Audio. I digress...

jtc, Dec 3, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Nils

Hi JTC,

I'm hoping to splash out on a new CDP in a couple of months time, and have heard the Opus 21 with my Sugden Amps (it sounded far better than it does currently with my pink triangle). I'm a bit of a sucker for second hand gear though, and should be able to get it for around about the 2K mark, so my question is - how reliable do you think it is? Will it end up costing me a bomb if I get one without a guarantee, in terms of future work?

Also, who are GNSC? and lastly have you thought about making tweaks to the player?

Sorry about all the questions,

Nils

Nils, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

Nils, I don't know precisely what happened to my player (it should return by the end of the week) but I can say that early models (mine included) had their transports replaced. In my case twice! However, the three year warranty is good, and though mine had just expired, the distributor was kind enough to cover the repairs anyway. Or at least, I presume this is the case (no bill has been presented to me so far).

I have considered tweaks, but what puts me off currently is the fact it'd have to be sent overseas to get those tweaks. Oh, and the cost of the tweaks themselves. However, everyone who has heard the GNSC-modded Opus 21 rates it the best cd player they've ever heard so perhaps it's money well spent.

Other than that, I really rate the common-or-garden Opus 21. It's goood enough not to be embarrassed by good vinyl, and sounds very analogue (in a good way) with excellent timing and I couldn't really ask for more...

John

jtc, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Mr_Sukebe

Nils

Thanks John,

I've contacted GNSC to see whether they'd sell me a UK spec, reference modded Opus 21. According to one of the dodgy online currency converter, it should cost the same price as buying the Opus 21 new here. But that's assuming they can get hold of the UK model and hasn't factored in import taxes and all that. I'll let you know what they say about whether it can be done and costs, etc.

Nils

Nils, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

Nils, the UK-spec and US-spec ought to be the same, I'd think, or easy to adapt. My player should be back at the end of the week, can't wait...

jtc, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Mr_Sukebe

johnhunt recidivist

Mr s

i think Billy Vee would like to think they reside in at worst Lee Green and at best Blackheath

your locally

John

johnhunt, Dec 16, 2005
  10. Mr_Sukebe

zchaw18

Selling GNSC opus 21

Hi,

If you're interested there's a GNSC modded RA opus 21 system including modded amplifier on Ebay with Cardas Golden Reference speaker cabling. It is extremely good and am only selling as I want a UDP. Its black/ black and Steve Huntley modded it for me with the UK in mind- needs different alignment of the capacitors- don't buy on on audiogon from US and think if you switch the voltage switch to 220 V it will work! Took about 3 months for the work- near mint condition. Email me if you're interested...

zchaw18, Dec 18, 2005
  11. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

Hmmmm... well, as I already have one I'll count myself out, but at £4.5k it seems a good price. I've never heard the RA amp, but the stock player is a fantastic player and I'm sure the mods take it further. My Opus is now out of warranty (though kindly the UK distributor is repairing it FOC - don't know what caused it to die, though I shall find out in due course) and I may therefore get it done in a year or so. Good luck with the auction! Interested to hear your thoughts on the player, and curious as to why you didn't just get a universal transport to connect to the digital in on the Opus, rather than flog the lot,...

jtc, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I'm quite happy to compare our mods against Steve's (GNSC) and have done on a few occations now :)

wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2005
  13. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

WM, do you mod Opus 21s? I'd be quite interested in a UK-based mod if such a thing existed...

jtc, Dec 18, 2005
  14. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes Tc, I have personally performed mods on 2 players, one for a French gentleman, the other for a UK based chap.
    One gent had a mild tweek the other had more extensive work carried out.
    The can be improved by a fair margin especially in the presence and palpability areas, which their lacking, also dynamics & flow.
    If you are interested TC, please could you mail me by via coherent systems website. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 18, 2005
  15. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

Email sent.

jtc, Dec 20, 2005
  16. Mr_Sukebe

mike lacey Akiverer

I have heard two dems, one of solely the 555, and one showing increments. IMO, the 555 is a fair bit ahead of the CDS3. Noticeably so, very organic, analogue sound to my ears.

You can run a CDS3 head unit with the 555PS which gives some of the mprovements over the XPS2. I suspect Naim will sell a fair few of these units.

Regards

Mike

mike lacey, Dec 27, 2005
  17. Mr_Sukebe

jtc

Hmmm... still not convinced. I might be wrong, but my experience in listening to various different 'high-end' cd players (from Sim Audio, Naim, my own RA, Wadia, etc.) is that at this end of the scale, differences are relatively small, and though they're quite easily identifiable, there just aren't the gains to be had that people claim.

I would definitely like to hear a 555, but I would be extremely surprised if it is any more than subtley better than a CDS3 (for instance) and not the dramatic improvement people claim...

Anyway, academic, innit? Can't justify nor afford £15k on a cd player when I've still got a mortage. Now, if I didn't have that mortgage then perhaps... but I do, so that's that.

jtc, Dec 28, 2005
  18. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

JTC>
    Justifying the purchase of any high end item, whether a watch, CDP or car never seems to be rational process. From what I've seen, it's simply that someone has decided that they ant to spend some money on themselves, and the item in question fits the bill. Quite clearly for a 555, that has to be a pretty substantial present to oneself, but then people do buy diamond encrusted watches, so why not?

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 28, 2005
Ask a Question