[Review] Netgear MP101 wireless mp3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rodrat, Apr 8, 2004.

1. rodrat

rodrat

Netgear MP101 wireless mp3

About a month ago, I set up a Belkin wireless network so that I could link my old computer. A couple of weeks ago I saw the Netgear wireless MP3 player on ebay. I won the auction and paid £93. Early days, but I thought I would post my initial impressions.

What a clever bit of kit. It plugs into the hi-fi through rca's, and then streams all the MP3's from my computer. Provided you leave the server software up and running, you can play by artist, albums, playlist etc. Nice big display and a remote.

I was surprised by the sound quality. Up until now, I had just played through the computer speakers. Its not up to cd standard but perfectly acceptable. Its one of those toys that has a large grin factor

The only downsides are the usual sqelch noises from some downloaded tracks and that the wirless network only just has the range from upstairs to down. Moving the wireless router on to the floor has cured the problem. Belkin claim up to 250 feet in optimum circumstances, but it is closer to 25 through walls.

Why did I want one? Cos I love techie toys.

Rod

rodrat, Apr 8, 2004
  2. rodrat

michaelab desafinado

I've been tempted to get a similar device and have been looking at www.slimp3.com . That one has a digital output so I could plug it into my DAC64 so I can expect pretty good sound quality.

I don't have anything on my PC as MP3 that I don't also have the CD for so you might say "what's the point?" but it would be much better for background/party music situations where you didn't have to keep faffing about with CDs. Also, it's just such a cool idea (in a geeky kind of way :shame: ) :D

Only problem I will have is that I doubt my wireless coverage will extend from my home office to the hifi system. When I'm using the laptop in the living room it's already pretty flaky.

The other thing that worries me is all the 2.4Ghz RF radiation so close to my hifi (the device has to transmit as well as receive). Probably has no audible effect but it would bug me.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 8, 2004
  3. rodrat

rodrat

I should have pointed out that my mp3's are downloads of stuff I already own on vinyl or rips from my cd's I am in the process of copying direct from the records but Its a very slow process.

I hadn't thought about the rf radiation, but as I have a had a dect phone fairly close to the hi-fi for years without mishap, I am not that worried.

The seller also had a problem with his wi-fi equipped laptop. They seem to have a crap range. I am using the usb2 wireless network rather than installed cards. I suspect that the computer itself hinders the range. My Belkin instructions suggest keeping the sender unit away from computers or large metal objects.

Rod

rodrat, Apr 8, 2004
  4. rodrat

Sgt Rock

Michael,

If coverage is an issue, buy two access points and link them together with an ethernet cable, set them up exactly the same but have them on different channels, i.e 1 on 1 and 1 on 13, you could also reduce the power if you had more AP's

I wouldn't worry about the RF BTW.

Sgt Rock, Apr 8, 2004
Ask a Question