[Review] NVA AP10P Amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by i.j.russell, Aug 22, 2006.

1. i.j.russell

i.j.russell

NVA AP10P Amplifier

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and bought one of these via ebay for £180. It is a small black perspex cased 15w single input integrated amplifier with headphone socket.

When I picked the box up from DHL I thought that they had forgotten to pack the amp inside the box as it was so light. The
    build quality and finish is a little agricultural although the black perspex case does look very cool.

I am running the amp with a highly modified Arcam Alpha 5+ cd player (although I have an original Exposure cd player on the way), Arcaydis bookshelf speakers on target stands using NVA LS1 speaker cable and Chord Anthem interconnects.

I am primarily using the amp as a headphone amplifier for late night listening via my Grado SR125 headphones; At this task it is fantastic. I have a Rega Ear dedicated headphone amp and the NVA is much better in pure hifi terms and in PRaT.

Via the speakers, the NVA is preffered to my Audiolab S and P combination. The little amp is able to get at the heart of a piece of music in a way that the Audiolabs can't. Of course the NVA lacks that little bit in absolute terms but the smile on my face was well worth the money.

I am that impressed with the NVA that I intend to sell my orinal F-series Audiolabs and get an AP50 or AP70.

Ian

i.j.russell, Aug 22, 2006
  2. i.j.russell

cdgeorge

NVA still good?

Are you still happy with your NVA now you have owned it for a while? I am searching for that perfect little power amp (or integrated perhaps) and so far the best I have heard by a long shot is an old Leak Stereo 20. I am just looking for the modern equivalent with that superb midrange and airy room filling presence.

It might be that only valves can achieve this, however I would prefer the low maintenance of solid state if possible.

Oh and I have heard the Sugden A21a which is sometimes compared to having a valve-like sound, but it's still way behind the Leak Stereo 20 sonically (in my system anyway).

Perhaps the Sugden does not like the Triangle Cometes 4ohm impedence.

cdgeorge, Feb 8, 2007
  3. i.j.russell

i.j.russell

Yes I am still very happy with my NVA.

If you are after a valve-like sound then NVA is not a route to go. Modern valve amps are pretty much maintenance free. I am sure that the guys on this site could recommend something suitable.

i.j.russell, Feb 8, 2007
  4. i.j.russell

cdgeorge

I don't really know if I am after a valve-like sound as such - I have heard some pretty dire valve amplifiers (such as the Unison Reseach S2) - soft and over easy on the ear is not on the agenda. Whether valve or transistor, I am primarily looking for that beguiling and airy midrange that the Leak managed to pull off. It might be that transistors can pull this off too.

Since my interest in the NVA, I have also picked up interest in the NuForce, this makes an interesting read: http://www.nuforce.com/free-the-music.htm

But saying that, how would you describe the sound of the NVA?

cdgeorge, Feb 11, 2007
  5. i.j.russell

i.j.russell

Try http://www.nene-valley-audio.com for the lowdown on the nVA sound!

Have you thought about a NOS DAC? The LB3 is good but it is outclassed by many modern DACs particularly in the area that you are interested in.

i.j.russell, Feb 13, 2007
  6. i.j.russell

cdgeorge

Thanks, I will investigate the NOS DAC - I need all the tips I can get whilst researching my options.

I have been checking out a DAC from Redgum Audio - an interesting DAC that does not need an expensive transport to sound good.

I like the idea a lot. After all, a transport just sends 1's and 0's down to the DAC, and it does not take an engineering masterpiece to do this. So why the need for a hefty overly expensive transport anyway? This is Redgum Audio's philosophy, and I like it.

cdgeorge, Feb 16, 2007
  7. i.j.russell

cdgeorge

Since you spurred my interest in a NOS DAC I started investigating my options... it looks like the Consonance CD120 fits the bill quite nicely (NOS DAC with DAC resolution : 16bit TDA1543).

cdgeorge, Feb 17, 2007
  8. i.j.russell

Allan10

Allan10, May 18, 2007
  9. i.j.russell

ADPully

I have had all of these amps and better - My advice buy the £90 TA-10.1 it blows them out of the water - no question.

ADPully, Jul 21, 2007
  10. i.j.russell

Colin2040

Just noticed this thread,I have just taken ownership of a Trends amp as a stand in for when I am upgrading my 300b.I can agree with the previous point it really is jaw dropping for £80 including postage and it can be monblocked or used as a power amp.I am really shocked at how good it is.I am going to order a second and monblock them

Colin2040, Jul 22, 2007
  11. i.j.russell

rockhopper

Hi Colin,

where did you order this from? Seems a good deal for £80!

rockhopper, Jul 22, 2007
  12. i.j.russell

ADPully

ADPully, Jul 22, 2007
  13. i.j.russell

rockhopper

cheers ADPully,

is this thing meant to be able to power difficult speakers? My new speaker are Neat Motives, which are rated 85db - would it be a joke trying to run such a speaker with this? I do have a much better amp - but thought it might be something to experiment with?

rockhopper, Jul 22, 2007
  14. i.j.russell

ADPully

I have tried the TA10.1 with
    Jordan Watts modules OK
    Pioneer HPM1100 didnt work well
    QuadELS57 excellent (this is a great combination)
    Klipschorns Brilliant
    SMC AL22 old TM lines I have - Brilliant

Since plumbing for valves in 1981 after an audiolab I have struggled to find any transistor amps that sound OK - Sugden A21, Electrocompaniet 25w thing and a krell KSA100Mk2 have been the only ones that have lasted past 1/2 hour for me - That is Untill the TA-10.1 came along Ultimately Its not quite as good as a a good single ended amp for me I have tried but it does play tunes Ok and isnt tireing to hear for long periods.

Cant say about it driving your speakers in your setup . But It drve Quad ELS 57s better than a quad 909 by a shocking distance.
    Frankly what have you got to lose - £90

It does need careful partnering though.

ADPully, Jul 22, 2007
  15. i.j.russell

rockhopper

cheers pully.

I might give it a go sometime, but im not expecting much, as Neat speakers so like a lot of power up em.

BTW, sorry for hijacking the thread!

rockhopper, Jul 23, 2007
  16. i.j.russell

Colin2040

Sorry Rockhopper been on hols and just catching up I bought from Desktop audio and I have just checked I paid £89.95 , sorry I kew it wasnt a fortune in fact its cheaper than any cable I own.

Colin2040, Aug 5, 2007
Ask a Question