[Review] Pre-amp experiences

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Dec 13, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Pre-amp experiences

Prompted by the current thread on Pre-amps being unsexy or not, I thought I'd share recent pre-amp experiences.....

This last few months I've been on a kind of pre-amp trip, involving several different pre-amps with 2 different power amps. Pre-amps do make a big difference to the overall sound, its a question of balance.

Started off with Sugden Headmaster as pre with PS Audio HCA-2 power and Graaf 5050... with PS Audio the sound was very good, the slight warmth of the Sugden balancing nicely with the neutrally cool PS Audio.
    With Graaf 5050 power amp, the warmth just became a bit too soft and cuddly and boring.

Then tried Audio Research LS2 and LS7 with the PS Audio, had them loan from 2nd hand dealer.
    LS2 - ouch, too cold and clinical.
    LS7 - Mmmm, nice... deep detailed soundstage and natural sounding. If only it had remote control....

Then - Croft Vitale SC.... very nice but the ARC LS7 was better. Fiddly mono volume controls annoying.

Lastly... Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate. This is passive with (Hooray!) remote control. This lets so much more through than any of the other pre-amps tried. Very Neutral too, it woke the Graaf 5050 up and produced the most gorgeuous warm but not at all soft sound, very welcoming pull-you-in sort of sound that made you want to listen for hours. :)

Unfortunately by then I'd decided the Graaf had to go :( as it runs too hot.... So now on the Audio Synthesis passive + PS Audio. This has tons of detail, big soundstage again but the warmth is a bit lacking, not quite as magical as the AS/Graaf combo. But a very good 2nd best as it looks like valve power amps are not a path open to me.

That's where I'm sticking for now.... although the Sugden Headmaster + PS Audio combo had a touch of warmth which was more comforting, it lost out for detail and imaging compared to where I am now.

alanbeeb, Dec 13, 2004
Ask a Question