[Review] Proac Tablette ref. 8 signature

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Proac Tablette ref. 8 signature

my bro' has just acquired these, and I have em for a while :), he also has R1SC, so we are both proac nuts.

Trying them out, ouch, they are very alive, lori mckenna, american folksy singer songwriter with a strident voice at times is not the best match, but reveals the character well.

compared to the r1sc, they are, well, more alive, the r1s are more mature, sedate, mercedes if you like, these are ferrari, friendly ferrari tho' not impractical or useless day to day, I haven't heard somthing so alive since some hi end jamos and naim kit.
    If you like naim you will love these.
    the bass is slightly less than the r1's, a tiny 4 incher tho its hugely respectable and nicely fullsome, typical proac trademarks, doesn't thwack quite the same but its all there.After adaptation, one never feels one is missing out, its quite remarkable its only a custom seas 4 incher with copper phase plug.
    Partly due to the mid/top end, its very enhanced, very projected, as I like it, they remind me a bit of some beloved Harbeth c7s, again that forward quality.
    Imaging and stage is BIG with all capitals, the r1s have a seductive relaxed mid, that really is addictive, these go for the live feel, boy at times my heart gets a racin', they really are alive.

Switching to classical, on strings they have harmonics, richness in depths, again something of the older naim cd players character that I so prize, that instrumental tone that is just right. Some proacs are slightly thin, these are certainly not. The things I pick up right away are the stage, and the instrumental tone, I don't like thinness and also dislike dull shut in character.

Detail, too, finely etched that upper mid enhanced really works here, you can really pick harpsichords out and hear the doubling of wind instruments, even the seats creaking!!

its only a quick review just to give the traits and character, but I like these a lot, I have had a few proacs, tablette 3, 50, my bro had the ref. 8, sadly not now to a/b, but they definately get measurably better with each incarnation, these are an accurate speaker, very studio like, they are as good as the r1sc's in a different way, the r1s' I would say would suit someone mid 50s, these mid 20s to 30s, different more forward voicing, these are so good, so live, so alive, detailed, music is a joy with them, I even like my transistor amp a lot through these, I could be very happy with them, Hats off to Stuart Tyler again who has done an exceptional design, mostly I think progression in drive unit design.
    having had a quick peek at the xover, yes its typical text book tyler, 3rd order electrical on tweeter, and 2nd order with RLC on bass, his xovers don't change much, so its obvious he starts with a kind of set xover, developed and tweaks gently till he finds what he likes. Proacs history in continous refinement with similar drive units, again obvious to me he has a blanket coverall xover.There is, something inherently right and correct with tyler's voicing tho', and they are a peice of cake load/currentwise.
    My bro is leaving these, I am not going to want to part, maybe if I save up I could buy them off a him?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jan 1, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Gromit Buffet-blower

Nice review - you've very much hit the nail on the head as to why I like them so much. :)

Gromit, Jan 2, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

nice cartridge ;)

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Gromit Buffet-blower

:D lol

Yup - the 103's sounding just dandy now it's got a few more hours under its belt. Suits the ProAcs really well too which is a bonus - there just seems to be something fundamentally right about how it goes about things. Schweet. :)

Gromit, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I try telling all but they don't seem to believe me about how good it is for the cash :rolleyes:
    has the sibilance gone?

nice phonostage too, great bass, tad dark in the top but good music.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Gromit Buffet-blower

Yup - seems to work better with a 1kOhm loading, livens it up a bit. Bought a used MC15 Super recently, in nice nick, just to do a bit of comparing - the MC's a nice sounding cartridge, cleaner than the Denon undoubtedly but in terms of blood and guts and sheer 'get up and go' it doesn't sound anywhere near as convincing. Considering I was after the 103 to use as a stop-gap, until I'd decided on what to buy, it's doing a damn fine job in the meantime - see no hurry to change now. May try to get hold of another - if only I could find a 103R as I hear these are more than a little bit special.

Gromit, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

nicolap99 Denis

Yes, nice review.
    See my signature for my current system, used to have a pair of Tab 50's in the same system before upgrading to the Response 1SC's.

I've always liked the ProAc sound, daresay i'll never buy a differnt brand. Can't put into words the sound, it just sounds right to me.

nicolap99, Jan 10, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I have to say, I really like the sc's, too, they are a tad more sedate, but so seductive and 'right' that's all you can say :)

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

This might sound odd... but have you heard the CC2s used as a stereo pair?

I-S, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I have noticed some tannoy reveal's used as a stereo, these were the centre ones, essentially makes a dappolito style speaker, different

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 11, 2005
Ask a Question