[Review] Promitheus Passive Tvc Amp From Malaya

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Oct 3, 2006.

1. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

shindo have just been dropped from their uk distributor due to a) difficulty getting warranty issues sorted, and b) they no longer meet current safety regs.

This was straight from the horses mouth.

bottleneck, Dec 21, 2006
  2. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I've currently got an Audio Valve Eklipse preamp - German make - absolutely excellent - different sound to the Promitheus TVC but surprisingly detailed for a valve pre. This was an alternative to trying the Shindo- thanks for the info on this - so that will be Nick I guess (horses mouth)?

larkrise, Dec 21, 2006
  3. larkrise

anubisgrau

a good preamp indeed and a very competent rival to EAR 864 except it doesn't have any of TdP products hype.... which might be better for focusing on music, not gear.

after a long resistance and despite ordering promitheus TVC, i bought yesterday electrocompaniet EC4.7 Mk2..... the only preamp I have ever tried with an immediate synergy with my ATCs and absolutely stunning product for its current price on a s/h market (mine was stupidly cheap, i paid under 500 quid for a mint one so i had to treat myself for x-mas).
    just for case that the TVC doesn't find its place in my system, or if i realize i can't live without remote.

anubisgrau, Dec 21, 2006
  4. larkrise

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Nice buy! I've seen them going here where they are made for the equivalent of £575 and up. Mind you, our VAT is 25% :)

SteveC, Dec 21, 2006
  5. larkrise

anubisgrau

mine was 700E, that's £470 today. i could knock it down even more but it would be a gamble.

EC gear is badly understated at some markets.

anubisgrau, Dec 21, 2006
  6. larkrise

BTW Gordan - what's the differences between the 4.5 to 4.7 electro's?

larkrise, Dec 27, 2006
  7. larkrise

anubisgrau

sorry i have no experience with any other than 4.7 but according to EC experts, there is not too much difference between 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 except in a number of inputs (4.5 should have just 1 balanced and 1 se or something like that, while 4.7 is a full function pre).
    soundwise, 4.5 is considered to be the most tubelike - a very common choice for EC lovers on budget. 4.7 has the most of improvements in bass extension and control (truly fantastic) plus more detail, however its dark nature in top range would not suit every system. those who miss to fit it into their system would describe it as "having sunglasses on a sunny day".
    when buying 4.7 you should look for later versions you will recognize with a gain switch (0-9db) on the back and light dimmer under the fascia. early ones don't have this and they sound slightly inferior - there was a certain inconsistency between different production series as they were not happy with its welcome on the market and initial not so favorable comparisons with 4.6 (fe output gain varied between +2 and -2 db so you really have to try it if it works for you)
    they have also upgrades in power supply and better caps that will set you around 250E from an EC dealer in case you want to get your to the latest spec (see details following a link from www.electrocompaniet.no).

anubisgrau, Dec 27, 2006
  8. larkrise

Thanks for mentioning the Eklipse, Larkrise, that has popped up on my radar recently too. How do you find it tonally - not a bit warm perhaps? I wouldn't want to give away any detail either. Do you use the stock valves? My nearest dealer for this is about 2 hrs drive away so it could be with the trip to find out for myself, perhaps.

SteveC, Jan 1, 2007
  9. larkrise

ROHS regs

On return to work I have an email from the Swedish distributor Teruo Harada telling me it is to do with new EU regulations on hazardous substances. Here is the relevant bit: "Maybe as you know, from August this year [2006] it is a new directive inside EU, ROHS(Restriction of the Use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment). And according to its, all [of their Shindo] tube amplifiers are not allowed to sell inside EU, so I was forced to stop import of Shindo products to Sweden..."

SteveC, Jan 2, 2007
  10. larkrise

Hi Steve - just noticed the question - the Eklipse is terrific and a close call to the tvc - it is a different sound but it is detailed, great soundstage and yes it is warm but I like it - tvc is detailed but a bit . . . er . . . cold? using stock valves which i am told are better from another user/owner.

I've ordered the Promitheus reference dual mono with its upgraded components - so shall report in when it arrives.

larkrise, Jan 6, 2007
  11. larkrise

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I too am using the Audiovalve Eklipse - its good. not too warm but does a little bit of sweetness, as well as soundstage depth.

I tried changing the golden dragon ecc82s that came with mine to mullards but frankly not convinced it made much difference to the sound.

The Eklipse has XLR outputs - but they are not balanced.

I also like it because its remote control works from absolutely any angle.

alanbeeb, Jan 6, 2007
  12. larkrise

Well, if you decide to sell either of them, let me know :) Nice to hear a pretty similar comment from you too Alan.

SteveC, Jan 7, 2007
  13. larkrise

ockam

Hi everybody.
    WADIA-MIESTER,
    could you explain more about your experiences withTVCs (subjective impressions, associated equipment, etc) ?
    I'm planning to order one of these Promitheus preamp, so
    I'm very interested on negative opinions.

Thanks.

ockam, May 18, 2007
  14. larkrise

ADPully

Re the Promitheus - For the price the level of performance is astonishing. There may be a downside. It might not suit your equipment.

I think there are two new kids on the block have redefined the cost point where high end starts these are:-

Class T or D amplifiers - Trend Audio TA10.1 = £90
    Battery supply for TA10.1 Maplin portable car starter £19.99
    Promitheus TVC preamp = £175

These items have a level of performance that must really be frightening manfacturers and dealers of equipment in the £500 - £3000 range both valve and solid state.

One example - played side by side the trends TA10 was a significant improvement on a Quad 606 costing 10 times as much.

As more an more of this stuff is sold I can see prices of TVC's and class D amplifiers dropping even lower.

Jump on the bandwagon - you will not regret it
    Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
    ADPully, Jul 15, 2007
  15. larkrise

jaspal kallar

Hi,

I've had the Promitheus TVC (balanced version) for 7 months and think it's really good although I can only compare it to my 10 year old Cyrus Pre.

Anyway reading that thread on Audiocircle about the Promi I gather teaming the Promi and the Trends Audio TA 10.1 (used as power amp only) yields very good results. The thought of going battery has always intrigued me. Has anybody done it with the Trends?

jaspal

jaspal kallar, Jul 16, 2007
  16. larkrise

ADPully

Yes - see my comment above - The portable car starter is a battery.
    So I have Ta-10.1 , Prometheus and battery.

It works

ADPully, Jul 16, 2007
  17. larkrise

jaspal kallar

What is your source, speaker (how efficient, 4 or 8 ohm), cables (IC and spkr)?

Did you have to make or get a specfic cable for connecting the protable battery to the Trends Audio?

Also how long does the battery last on average before you have to charge it up again?

I can only guess and say that you must have really good sound with the Promi + Ta-10.1 and battery !

However, just curious, did you use the Ta-10.1 as pre&power also (i.e without the Promi) ?

I'm in process of buying one of those BYOB amps so may sell my Promi but I may keep it and buy a ta 10.1 2nd hand as a backup/2nd system. Many Promi owners say if you can stretch to the Ref versions then they are well worth the extra cost.

jaspal.

jaspal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
    jaspal kallar, Jul 17, 2007
  18. larkrise

ADPully

Battery last many hours - over a weeks listening 3 hours a night
    All the leads you need come with the charger thingy so its a plug and play jobby

Not sure how many TA-10's you are going to find second hand

My system is specified in the My Kit thread - please look here for it

Whats a BYOB amp?

I do use TA10.1 as a battery powered integrated its very good and with my with klipschorns works well.

reference Promis are quite a lot more expensive around double the cost. Frankly I would not buy a ref without a careful trial

ADPully, Jul 17, 2007
  19. larkrise

jaspal kallar

Much better than I expected and it's plug and play :)

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm

Not pretty I suppose but I awaiting a 2nd hand version from someone in OZ, so I thought it was worth a try.
    It's BYOB DAC that I'm looking to try actually some day (soon).

Thanks for your answers, btw!

jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Jul 17, 2007
  20. larkrise

ADPully

Thanks Jaspal The BYOB dac and Amp sounds just up my street 'squite expensive for what it looks like.
    Andy

ADPully, Jul 17, 2007
Ask a Question