[Review] Rega Acrylic platter: internet purchase joy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sq225917, Aug 30, 2007.

1. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Rega Acrylic platter: internet purchase joy

Well my new baby arrived today. Courtesy of ebay.de vendor 'acrylteller'.

The item description was for a Rega P5 24mm acrylic platter. I parted with £85 in euros inc 2 day delivery, and low and behold it arrives like clockwork.

[​IMG]

As you can probably tell from the images the quality of workmanship is immaculate, as good a platter as i've ever seen perched on top of any Basis or Clearaudio model. The machining is perfect, no surface imprefections, the top surface is extra fine machined with a smaller reach than the sides. All the internal and external angles are chamfered to help break up standing waves.

[​IMG]

The label recess has a laser etched logo in place and overall fit and finish is just perfect. He supplies a 2mm brass spacer for the arm for VTA adjustment, but as i'm using it without the mat, none is needed.

I've seen and heard a few acrylic platters over the past couple of years and in terms of quality of finish, this one is streets ahead. The SRM platters look rough and ready in comparisson.

[​IMG]

My pet peave with the Rega decks has always been that the sub-platters are never round, they are always out a few .01mm. I had mine skimmed 'perfectly' round a while back. Surprisingly, there is less variance from round in this platter than there was in my Rega sub-platter, it's as close to perfectly concentric as i can test.

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting for the return of my usual DV cart, but with the replacement MM in place this firmly trounces my damped 12mm glass platter, which was way better than the same glass platter undamped.

It's not often you get very pleasantly surprised with online purchases but i truly feel like i've hit gold here. It performs flawlessly, and looks way expensive.

From speaking with the seller directly, apparently he's happy to do any design to order even if he doesn't have them off the shelf, so to speak.

Roll on the return of the fixed DV 20-x..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
    sq225917, Aug 30, 2007
  2. sq225917

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I saw Simons Rega platter today and can vouch that it genuinely is a really high quality piece of engineering. I've done a lot of turning in the past and this really is nicely done - I would buy one (in fact I just might and I don't even own a Rega).

YNMOAN, Aug 30, 2007
  3. sq225917

Lefty

Just seen this... wow! What is the height of the new platter? It looks a lot deeper than the standard Rega one. Also, is it any heavier/lighter than the glass platter?

I might have to order one...

Lefty

Lefty, Feb 5, 2008
  4. sq225917

Lefty

Just looked at acrylteller's shop. I can't find the Rega platter. Is it a custom job?

Lefty

Lefty, Feb 5, 2008
  5. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

lefty, you can just email the guy, perfect english speaker, i think the model name was p24, P for rega Planar and 24 for the depth of the platter.

sq225917, Feb 6, 2008
Ask a Question