[Review] Review of Naim pre power amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Apr 9, 2007.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Review of Naim pre power amps

Hello, I have recently had an upgrade in my system and hope the following review / opinions are of interest. here goes.
    My previous system was a Linn LK1 and LK280 power with a Linn LP12 turntable (recently serviced and added trampolin) with a Goldring mm 1042 cartridge mounted in a Linn basic arm. My cd was handled by a Micromega stage 6 connected using Audioquest ruby leads. The speakers are Linn Keilidh with the original tweeter. Speaker cable is the qed silver aniversary terminated with quality plugs.
    Now I recently purchased from Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield, who I must say were superb, a new naim 122x pre and 150x power amp.
    I originally narrowed my chioce of listening to 4 amps which were a Quad 99 and 909, a cyrus pre and power (model name escapes me), a sugden A21 and finally the naim amps.
    All these amps were good in there own way the quad was very neutral and ultra safe whereas the clinical cyrus was a bit bright with the cheap interconnect used to demo. But changing to my audioquest calmed it down lovely. The A21 Sugden is a nice amp and lots of folk will happily live with it and it it brought slow blues to life.
    The Naim was on second in the demo running order and these really did bring the music out of the box's which were Nimkas but in my opinion didnt do much for me. The soundstage is wide and the level of base is just about right for me. I was even more suprised that the ample sounded even better on my speakers.
    The company Moorgate lent me there demo amps while mine were ready to collect, great service. I thin I have a nice balance with the system and have no problem listing to long sessions. By the way the new ones do sound a little narrow on soundstage till there run in, and having done that they sound a lot better after about 1 month.
    I am currently running my LK1 into the 122x aux phono and using this as a step up for the turntable. I will be selling this soon so I will need a phono amp so if anyone can recommend one please feel free.
    I hope you enjoyed the above and by the way I intend to get a flatcap 2x but need to listen to the improvement that they say happens when hooking these up.
    Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Apr 9, 2007
Ask a Question