[Review] Sennheiser HD650 headphones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Thanks, AK. I know Precide. I listened to Model 1 when I was checking out headphones, but couldn't hear that they were any better than the Floats. Although I can't match Mr. Birkett, I have three headphones

Beyerdynamic 880
    Grado SR125
    Jecklin Float I

The Grados are great, but they have two annoying deficiencies, (a) a short cord, and (b) a cord from each earpiece that meets under your chin. By law, the wire from headphones should come from one earpiece and be generously long (the Beyers is short but a more-than-generous extension lead comes with them).

tones, Oct 19, 2004
  2. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tones model one and two EXACTLY same as JF's 1 and 2 precide have always made them for Jecklin, AMT's exactly same as Float electrostatic, due to it's construction it displays all the characteristics of electrostatic, but is actually transducer(s'pose the idea is similar to NXT drivers, these are folded over in the AMT(believe they also make drivers for loudspeakers using AMT), but does not need high voltages so no energiser, the AMT's come with a switchbox that atatches to your spoeaker outs, and speaker cable is attached to this, you then flick switch for listening to either, I didn't want to add this to my current set up, but I have run them using other Poweramps from second pre out, and currently use them with McCormack micro integrated drive(from my preamp tape out), this is basically a headphone/preamp with small output stage and 4 binding posts. Very versatile as ouputs around 5 w/rms so will run pair of speakers in second system for example.

Next time you get a chance listen to ERGO's AMT they will surprise you, my local dealer reckons the sound as good if not better than stax 007 model or whatever (around £2.5k) haven't heard the stax in question, but punchier than 4040 i listened to. They have the dynamics and texture of good loudspeaker set up, only difference is in soundstage, great for Jazz, classical and accoustic.

Oh and they have around a dozen feet of cord that enters one side only, i'd agree that these should be deriguer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
    analoguekid, Oct 19, 2004
  3. tones

Not at that price they won't!

tones, Oct 19, 2004
  4. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah, I got mine for £150 though s/h, bargain!

analoguekid, Oct 19, 2004
  5. tones

WOW! Steal me a pair, would you, please!

tones, Oct 20, 2004
  6. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Got them on ebay and was only bidder, paid £150 + £7 postage. Keep looking, you never know.

analoguekid, Oct 20, 2004
  7. tones

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I only have one pair now, and possibly no headphone amp if I decide to sell it ;)

PBirkett, Oct 20, 2004
  8. tones

PeteH Natural Blue

I looked for those AMT uber-headphone thingies on Ebay for a few weeks with absolutely no joy - they seem a bit thin on the ground, along with AKG K1000s. Eventually I got bored and bought a pair of HD600s from Ask - all I need now is a headphone socket and I'm sorted. :D

PeteH, Oct 20, 2004
  9. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Hey Pete i would keep looking, you can always sell yer HD's if you get them, the AMT's or an electrostatic would suit your taste in music down to the ground, I wasn't really looking for cans seriously at the time, and expected them to go for higher, but was willing to gamble £150, had they gone above £200 I wouldn't have bothered, boy am I glad no one else bidded. Before you buy an amp, have you considered Stax, i feel they might be to your taste also. You'd easily get what you paid for the 600's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3274&item=5726411085&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3274&item=5726555401&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=81741&item=5726782156&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2004
    analoguekid, Oct 20, 2004
  10. tones

Tom_G

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
    Tom_G, Dec 1, 2007
  11. tones

speedy.steve

I started on Grado SR-125's but then heard HD-650's.
    They suit my gear better.
    I have tuned the mid range up a bit with a different interconnect to the Headphone amp and the DAC I am using gives more midrange and upper midrange than my previous CD player.
    This really brought the HD-650's alive. I rate them very highly - I think this is what others mean when they write that you have to drive them properly.
    They sound much closer to my valve amp (don't think for a minute this is all valvey and warm - it isn't, it's clean, crisp, wide frequencied, and dynamic) and my ProAc D25 speakers.

speedy.steve, Jan 18, 2008
  12. tones

jebustheone

Ive wanted a the 650s for ages. Glowing reviews everywhere it seems. Unfortunately, i can't drive 300ohms :(

jebustheone, Mar 24, 2008
Ask a Question