[Review] Surprising Arcam FMJ cd players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by GAZZ, Sep 21, 2003.

1. GAZZ

GAZZ

Surprising Arcam FMJ cd players

Listened to an arcam fmj 23 + 33 cd players. In my opinion and others the 23 was the better cd player.

I'll right an review soon.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Sep 21, 2003
  2. GAZZ

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Gazz, your a music lover rather than 'hifi' then, I came to the same conclution a while ago, I use to run a an Arcam fmj 23 in the second system, an underattted player in it's bracket. WM

wadia-miester, Sep 21, 2003
  3. GAZZ

GAZZ

Arcam cd player FMJ 23t against FMJ 33.

Test
    Arcam fmj23t
    Arcam fmj33

Tested with
    Arcam A85 P85,+ power amp.
    B&W CDM1nt.

Cyrus 7amp + power supply
    Dynaudio 52

Arcam 7se+ tag dac20
    With both sets of amps and speakers.

I was just settling down Thursday evening, when the phone rang. Hey do you want to come round with that mains power thingy (Lynwood mains filter + power supply) bring your Arcam and tag dac too. So off I went, I got there and my brother's mate had an Arcam fmj33 (he had it on trial), to test against the fmj23 and my 7se+dac20.

First off was my 7se/dac20, there was no surprise here for me but it was said to be good but smooth by the other two, a sound I like. In my opinion the 7se+dac20 went better with the A85/P85 and the dynaudio, which I was taken back as I have a pair of B&W 601's2 at home.

Right down to what I went around for. Next up the Arcam fmj23t, an improvement on the 7se/dac20 the 23t had better what some people call PRaT, pace rhythm and timing. It was'nt long before my foot was tapping along with Crowded house, ok it may not have the detail but it was enjoyable.

So when we set up the Arcam fmj33. I was expecting an improvement on the fmj23t in detail, keep the enjoyment factor, what a disappointment! The fmj33 was safe it had detail but the 33 had lost its foot tapping factor, which is why most people like the fmj23t. 'It must need running in' was one comment and it 's not as nice on the ear was another. Back on went fmj23t just in case we were wrong, but no the foot-tapping factor came back.

Conclusion

The Arcam fmj33 is a good player, but at the price I would look elsewhere, even try and find a fmj23t as in my opinion the 23t is a better player and should be on your list to audition.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Sep 22, 2003
Ask a Question