[Review] The SB+

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

The SB+

The idea of a HD based music server has intrigued me for a long time, particularly so since Julian made comments on on how brilliant the functionality was on his SB2.

What put me off the standard Squeezebox were the comments regarding absolute audio quality. However, towards the end of last year, a potential saviour pops up on my radar. RobH (PF mod and very nice chap) bought himself an SB+, which is a heavily modified SB3, with dedicated power supplies, upgraded clocks etc. More importantly, Rob's comment was that it was on par with a seriously good CD player.

So, it was time to get to work. From some helpful advice, I downloaded a pre-configured version of Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and got to work ripping all 482 of my CDs. Along the way I had a very good chat with Patrick (the builder of the SB+) and put an order in for a digital only version.

As preparation work, my PC received upgrades with a couple of new hard drives, one to save all my music on, the other as a backup to cover against HD failure. For networking, I then added a Netgear wireless router.

So during last week, I finally got everything running. The SB+ addressing my PC via RF. The digital out was running into my Bel Canto DAC2, then onto the rest of the stereo.
    A few days to run in the SB+ and it was time for a serious test.

Functionality was as expected, pretty awesome. Very fast track access, and the ability to move off to a track on a completely different album was wonderful. BIG thumbs up for that.
    Absolute sound quality was however my aim, and frankly the SB+ simply didn't cut it. It was competing against my "flea" clock modded Meridian 500 transport.
    In a direct comparison, where the 500 put the musicians in my lounge, the SB+ sounded like an OK CD player. It wasn't even particularly close.

So unfortunately I'll be taking Patrick up on his money back guarantee. I'll be sorry to see the loss in functionality, but just could not deal with the loss in audio quality.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 10, 2007
  2. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Mr_sukebe - whilst I don't for a moment doubt your view, it seems strangely at odds with my experience of the SB3 into a DAC. Apologies if you've already looked into it all, but little things in the software like bandwidth limiting (ie transcoding) or automatic gain control, as well as the default volume level (which is not max but should be really) can have a significant impact. If you did all that then sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you... perhaps you need to give the Transporter a listen?

I-S, Mar 10, 2007
  3. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thanks for posting the review, espcially as it takes a bit of nerve to go against the flow. I assume you ripped in some kind of lossless format. Just to clarify, were you comparing the Meridian transport into Bel Canto DAC2 directly with SB3+-as-transport into the same DAC2, same cable, etc?. Were the tests quick swaps, or more of the type: live with one for a week, then swap? If it's any relevance, I use an SB3 std and Transporter and the latter is well worth it for me.

SteveC, Mar 10, 2007
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

For info. All the music was cut from my own CD collection using EAC into FLAC format. I did find the controls for the volume, and maxed that.
    Both the CDT and SB+ were directly connected to BC DAC2 using the same digital cable (a Zanash unit). The only difference on termination was the use of a BNC adaptor plugged into the SB+.

Listening comparisons were a combination of both quick changes and extended listening.
    My only guess is that the modded Meridian really is rather good.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the SB+ a LOT for it's functionality, and if the SB+ had been in the same area as the Meridian, I'd planned to advertise the Meridian instead of writing this review. I actually wanted the SB+ to be better, simply because of it's useability.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

At least you tried, sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Like I said though, the Transporter might well be more a competitive match to the meridian, but it is not cheap.

I-S, Mar 10, 2007
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Robbo

I have to say I was rather underwhelmed by the sound quality of a SB+ fronted system when I heard it at a show. Difficult to say but the system sounded like it was fronted by a budget CD player.

Robbo, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

This is a bit of a blow as I had intended to follow Mr S into this realm....looks like I may have to wait a bit.

zanash, Mar 15, 2007
  8. Mr_Sukebe

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

the transporter get a decent write up in this months HFN, though they end by saying their review experience doesnt tally with the review in the US mags at the same time,they leave the door open on over generous US review of not firing on all cylinders transporter sample.

but lets be realistic, its got a network card and receiver in it for gods sake.... have anyone placed their pc wireless receiver on top of their dac while listening and heard what happens..

sq225917, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Dev Moderator

Following this logic a wired SB should sound better than a wireless unit. Has anyone compared the 2?

Dev, Mar 15, 2007
  10. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

One doesn't know if a stand-alone DAC was designed to cope with wireless network radiation nearby, whereas one knows the Transporter folk designed knowing this was the environment. Regardless of speculations, one sees that the Transporter measures excellently both digitally and analog in this new environmenthttp://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/207slim/index4.html

SteveC, Mar 15, 2007
  11. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

A quick update on this chaps.
    I did talk to Patrick about the issues. Have to say that he was brilliant and has suggested that he drops in to checkout my setup, just incase I've got something wrong.

That will happen on Sunday, so I'll give you guys an update post that.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 15, 2007
  12. Mr_Sukebe

ditton happy old soul

Mr Sukebe,

Have you an update to post, especially given the fate of your 500?

ditton, Mar 24, 2007
  13. Mr_Sukebe

anubisgrau

Exactly.

Something strange happened in Mr. Sukebe's room after the Patrick's visit.

anubisgrau, Mar 24, 2007
  14. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Sorry about the delay chaps.
    Patrick did pop down last Sunday, and we had a play around.
    The settings were fine, so Patrick swapped in an older SB+. The SB+ consists of two seperate boxes, a control unit, and a PSU. Swapping the control unit made no difference, but the older PSU made a huge difference, putting the SB+ very much on par with my modded 500. The implications were simply that the PSU on the one I'd bought hadn't burnt in.
    So I'll be definitely keeping the SB+ and the 500 is most definitely up for sale.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 25, 2007
  15. Mr_Sukebe

BlueMax

Mr. Sukebe
    Where can I find more info on SB+
    Got a link? Thanks.

Has anyone tried the sound quality feeding SBs digital outputs into their own favourite DACs ?

BlueMax, Apr 12, 2007
  16. Mr_Sukebe

Dev Moderator

BM, take a look here.

Dev, Apr 13, 2007
  17. Mr_Sukebe

BlueMax

Thanks Dev :)

With so many CDs stored on HD, it would be nice if devices such as this had a decent display. May be a large PDA with 10 inch colour LCD monitor and a built in remote. Slimserver is kind of adequate but some programs based on Gracenote database show loads of info and pics.

Guess the alternative is to use a wireless laptop.

BlueMax, Apr 14, 2007
  18. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Blue>
    The display on the SB can be easily read from 3-4m away. I'm not big on graphcis and prefer to listen under low light conditions, so as is, it's spot on. Mine is running into my Bel Canto DAC.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 15, 2007
  19. Mr_Sukebe

Jampot

With wireless networking you can use a PSP or Nokia 'tablet' (and possibly others - these are just the ones that take my fancy) to communicate with slimserver on the PC. Look for info at the Slim Devices forums.

Note that the SB+ doesn't need to be connected wirelessly (in case anyone doubts the 'quality' of the end result if it was:rolleyes: )

Jim

Jampot, Apr 16, 2007
  20. Mr_Sukebe

BlueMax

What?!
    I knew that it is popular but did not know Slim Devices got a forum for this little box :eek:

BlueMax, Apr 16, 2007
Ask a Question