[Review] WBT next gen female rca's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sq225917, Jan 19, 2007.

1. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

WBT next gen female rca's

Being an idiot for the silver stuff,it was a natural progression from silver Ic's and plugs to silver sockets.

The GF asking what i'd like for xmas was all the encouragement i needed to order two tiny bits of silver for the back of my cd player.

my thinking went, remove the nasty surface mount paired rca sockets and replace them with some lovely nextgens, and hardwire them to the board with some of Chris Venhaus ultra soft silver in cotton wire, after all thats what my IC's are made from.

A quick call to the cd player manufacturer answered my question as to whether the track length on the ciruit compensated for the fact that the ic block had a 2cm longer circuit route for one channel than the other,so i've balanced my circuit length by a whole 2cm..no doubt that makes .000001 of a second difference to timing of the unit, wehay.

stripping the unit of it's backplate and removing the ic block was no trouble a 15 minute job. hacking the back plate to accept new 12mm holes with sufficient spacing was another matter altogether, 3 hours, 4 grinding bits, and a knackered dremmel later the job was done.

and the results......

well it looks much nicer around the back now. and there's a little more of what i had before, but is it the best £80 i've spent..

no, not really.

ah well you live and learn, at least i didnt fry anything

sq225917, Jan 19, 2007
  2. sq225917

zanash

Thats a shame I was expecting better......but this falls in line with the eichmann silvers bullets.....if cost is no object then the improvements are good but .....

zanash, Jan 20, 2007
  3. sq225917

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The next gen's are real so-so to terminate, I perfer the Eichmann for sound, the Next gen has a better build thats it IMO

wadia-miester, Jan 20, 2007
  4. sq225917

Arrowhead

WBT Nextgen. Overrated, overpriced, and over here.
    Much better plugs out there. Eichmann silver bullets, HGA Labs Silver Points, and Audio Note ANP's, to name three.

Graham.

Arrowhead, Jan 20, 2007
  5. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I use the HGA silver points exclusively in my IC's, cheaper than the Eichmanns and way more durable.

WBT seemed like the best option for sockets. though i wouldn't recommend them at the price, they are good and very well made.

sq225917, Jan 20, 2007
Ask a Question