[Review] "White Noise" PSU for turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Apr 12, 2005.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Thanks, Rolfe, but as a nearly 100% classical listener, I find CD just perfect for my needs. In addition, I have never heard this alleged superiority of LP over CD, so for me it doesn't exist, and I'm perfectly happy for it to stay non-existent as I really couldn't be bothered with vinyl. I like the 400-odd (very) LPs that I've got, but I won't be adding to them. (As I've often said, I'll never make a real audiophool).

tones, Oct 26, 2005
  2. tones

nortonl

Hi Tones and all.

I did a lot of work on this some years ago.

The difference is very marked and in my opinion, torque (more the better) and vibration (less the better) have a greater effect than stable speed (unless you are blessed/cursed with pitch perfect hearing).

I am not surprised that the WN power supply sounded similar to a Valhalla (or Basik) as the limiting factor is the simple phase shift circuit. If you measure the voltage at each of the 2 motor windings, you will find the one connected through the capacitor has about a 20% higher voltage than the other one due to loading effect of the motor. The result is significant extra vibration which has the effect of significantly muddying the sound.

I used to sell a commercial product (Norton AirPower) which used a similar 'Basik' circuit but set the voltage for each motor winding individually by the use of a transformer with separate outputs for each motor winding.

WN were once going to make me a kit using 2 separate oscillators/amps/transformers which would, I think be the ultimate way to drive an ac motor (my design was still susceptable to mains variations and could not offer 45rpm). Unfortunately, Dave was too busy to put in the design time and my need went away before he was able to deliver, but he quoted about £450 and I would sincerely recommend this route.

The Lingo also uses this formula and succeeds very well in reducing motor vibration and improving clarity but at the sme time, there is a perceived thinning of tone and loss of weight. I think this is becuase they set the voltages too low.

If anyone is interested in building a DIY version of my power supply, there is information on my website http://www.norton-tech.co.uk

nortonl, Jan 5, 2007
  3. tones

nortonl

I also meant to say that I think some motors are more sensitive to the quality of supply than others. The Impex/Airpax/Premotec type used in Linn/Rega is very sensitive but a TD 150MkII motor I have is far less so.

nortonl, Jan 5, 2007
  4. tones

Tim F

Nortonl...
    Interesting but what about your comment.... "torque (more the better)", Nottingham Analogue disagree... any comment?
    Tim

Tim F, Feb 28, 2007
Ask a Question