[Review] Zanash AgAu interconnect impressions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eitook, May 18, 2007.

1. eitook

eitook Noob

Zanash AgAu interconnect impressions

Source: M-audio Transit optical out (FLAC), Modded Zhaolu D2 AD1852 DAC, Musical Fidelity X10-D Tube Stage
    Amp: Trends Audio TA10.1, NAD c320bee, Ray Samuels Audio Hornet
    Cabling: Van den hul D102 mkiii, Cabletalk Glass toslink, DNM Reson Mkii, QED SA XT biwire
    Power: Tacima CS929 line conditioner, QED Qonduit mains cable, Wattgate 320i IEC, Silver plated MK tough plug, Ferrite Clamps
    End: Monitor Audio BR2, Sennheiser hd580

I first contacted Zanash to help me resolder a vdh d102 RCA plug as I have come to wits end after numerous attempts at DIY-ing. Pete, being the great bloke that he is; not only fixed the plug (Thanks once again!), but also offered to loan me a pair of his AgAu interconnects (made from GOLD!) to audition in my modest system. All excited, I took up the offer and after utilizing the cable for a good 3 weeks in my system, I’ll have to sum it all up in one word: CLARITY.

The AgAu interconnect delivers a wonderfully accomplished listen with exceptional depth and clarity; most prominent in acoustic female vocals. Listening to Sarah Mclachlan’s Surfacing and Afterglow albums were a revelation as minor details not audible on the vdh d102 were unleashed. So be it a delicately plucked harp or a carefully hit triangle, these cables uncover and present the information. Slick coherence helps this mass of information confidently stride through a rush-hour busy soundstage, never losing rhythm or bumping out of pace. Bass is fast and taut, though it does not go as low as the vdh d102’s slightly wooly bass suitable for electronica which happens to be my staple soul-food.

The only gripe with these excellent wires is that it could sound a tad-bit bright on my already aggressive sounding system; however I am pretty confident if I were to upgrade any of my source/end components in the near future, zanash’s cables would definitely be in the shortlist. Recommended!!! :JOEL:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
    eitook, May 18, 2007
  2. eitook

Jimbo

Yes they are very good as i have them. As you say the detail is all there. You are a true cable believer and i blow a rasberry to all the none believers. :p

Jimbo, May 18, 2007
  3. eitook

zanash

Thanks ....

assume the van de huls were ok .... post surgery !

I second that with a botty burp in the face of sceptism.........

zanash, May 19, 2007
  4. eitook

Tim F

What's the price Zanash?
    T

Tim F, Aug 1, 2007
  5. eitook

Effem Cable manufacturer

I too will vouch for how good these sound. Bags of detail without an in yer face presentation. If you want to hear some real fireworks though, ask to hear his Platinum wires :D

Effem, Aug 1, 2007
  6. eitook

TheMooN

More than happy to chip in with an enthusiastic endorsement :)

I think I might have serial no 001 of these fine wires and they have more than held their own in shootouts with several Big Money IC .

Must get around to giving the new Pt's a spin Pete !

TheMooN, Aug 8, 2007
  7. eitook

zanash

I'm happy let you borrow a set ...I just need to slap someones wrist so I get a set back !....I've pm'ed you

zanash, Aug 8, 2007
  8. eitook

beeroclock

Oh S...t that will be me. If you pm me with an address I will gladly forward these on.

Zanash will pm you later

cheers philip

beeroclock, Aug 8, 2007
  9. eitook

zanash

possibly ....but no problem ...how have you found them ? [yes yes...they dropped through the door !]

zanash, Aug 8, 2007
  10. eitook

artist

I must chip in here and say that pete is a great guy to deal with,i am using a set of silver ic on my atc actives which sound great.Pete delivered these in person and also modded my cd player at the same time great service:D

artist, Aug 10, 2007
  11. eitook

beeroclock

Hi

I would also like to say that Pete has been an absolute gent - I've had one pair of interconnects (silver din to rca for my Opus 21) which for the money has been an absolute no brainer.

I have also had a pair of his AuAg on loan for some considerable time and it fairly well matches a pair of £800 "super conductor" cables I have to boot.

cheers philip

beeroclock, Aug 10, 2007
  12. eitook

zanash

Watch this space .....things are happening ...

but can't go into specifics yet as everything is up in the air .....

but due to many nice things people have said, converting into significant interest and then several large orders....I've had to become a "sole trader" with a vat registration, logo, accountant , hangers on and everything else that comes with it.

I'm setting up a web page too...but I'm a novice at this !

more details as they happen

zanash, Aug 10, 2007
  13. eitook

Wickfut

Since you requested feedback regarding the few cables you sent out to me , this seems like a good place to put it instead of starting a new thread.

You sent me the copper Isotopic and the PP Agua connects.

Background..

My system was a bit out of balance , Monitor audio GR20s in a wooden floored room with Dussun V8i amp and Esound CD-E5 made the system sound very bright with many speaker cables apart from when I inserted Anticables which had the opposite effect. The anticables imaged amazingly and opened up my midrange at the cost of rounding off the trebble to the point that hi-hats were just a faint muffled "shhhh" sound.

I had attempted to make IC's myself to open up the sound but all of them had the price of detail to pay for increasing the highs.

I inserted both of your cables into my system at once. I used the Isotopic to replace a Chord purple IC (dont know the name as it was on loan) and the Silver Agua to replace my Analogue Research Golden Raincoat which was used between the Pre/Power sections of the amp.

I imediately noticed a more solid centre image and was very impressed by the sound. I did a bit of speaker moving and got it sounding what I thought was perfect.
    After about a week I started to feel that something in the upper mid was missing. A slight suckout which made female vocals take a back seat to the music.
    I swapped out your Isotopic IC and replaced it with my own Gold Raincoat and bingo, My hifi just got a whole new level of clarity and detail which I didnt know was missing. The upper mids have snapped back into play and my hifi is how I believe it should sound.

I have tried to make comparisons between your cables and my own with varried results.
    Your Agua cables sound amazing. They are very detailed , image well , do not do anything wrong and are full frequency but in my system your Isotopic seem to damage the midrange.

I am not saying that the Isotopics are overall bad. I am saying that in my system which had its own balance faults that they just didnt work as well as I had hoped.

To round it up ill give you what I feel are the good and bad points of each cable.

Isotopic good points..

Imaging , the centre the image very well (they are solidcore so it isnt suprising)
    They have a full bass
    They are good value as they beat all of the sub £100 cables I own in detail.

Bad points.

Not totally detailed but would be a good start to cure an over forward midrange. Would probably work better with smaller speakers.

Agua good points.

Everything. This cable is the best thing I have heard

Bad points,
    None what so ever.

I am posting the Isotopics back out to you just before I head off to work , If you wish to send me more to have a listen to feel free.

cheers

Wickfut, Sep 11, 2007
  14. eitook

eitook Noob

wow, congrats pete! can't wait to see that website of yours up!

eitook, Sep 20, 2007
  15. eitook

rollo

The best of luck. Remember NO PARTNERS. If you need any help or advice for US market it would be my pleasure.

rollo

rollo, Oct 11, 2007
Ask a Question