Rgb Scart

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jul 14, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I finally got an RGB SCART lead, obtaining a QED AV4110 on ebay for a reasonable discount.

I doubt anyone will be surprised that it ****es all over using an old cable talk interconnect as a composite lead. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm being drawn in by my budget AV setup (£52 toshiba SD330 -> QED AV4110 -> £160 Lodos 28" Widescreen, also QED Qunex OT -> SuperDAC).

Think some mods on the Tosh may be in order at some point...

I-S, Jul 14, 2004
  2. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'd thought about one of these, but I didnt know if there'd be any point on a 10 year old 28" Hitachi and Digital Sky, what do you reckon?

PBirkett, Jul 14, 2004
  3. I-S

Saab

RGB has a n impact even with Sky,or it did with my tele.Biggest bugbear I have is having only one bloody RGB scart on the tele,what nonsense is taht on a 1k TV? I have to use S vud for the DVD,having said that i cant tell the difference when i change it to scart.I think you might need big expensive equipment for that

will your 10 yrold tele have all the required pin things in the scart to transfer rgb?

Saab, Jul 14, 2004
  4. I-S

If all you're going to end up with is composite video going down a scart cable, there's no point. The scart cable I've got is RGB only, so I'm pretty sure it's not trying to put comp or s-vid down it :D. That, and the "RGB" that the TV displays for the input...

However, there's no reason that digital sky should not be a pretty high-quality source.

I-S, Jul 14, 2004
  5. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Believe it or not, the TV definitely does support RGB, but only through one SCART socket.

PBirkett, Jul 14, 2004
  6. I-S

Then if your sky box has an RGB out, and you're not using it, definately try it. If you don't want to spend the sort of money that the QED is, you can get cheap fully-connected SCART leads which will allow you to use RGB, although you'll lose some of the advantage (low noise/crosstalk) because the cheaper cables won't be individually screened.

I-S, Jul 14, 2004
  7. I-S

HenryT

I have the same problem on my Sony TV too, 2 Scarts but one's RGB only and the other is S-VHS only.

I thought I rememebr reading somewhere in the instruction manual for my TV that's it's no possible to have a single Scart socket wired for both RGB and S-VHS use. The pin configuration are actually different. RGB was part of the original standard, but then S-VHS was added later on, but the pins used to create an S-VHS signal were nabbed from the original RGB pin out. I guess there's no reason why you couldn't have electronic switching of the pin configuration say by toggling on the handset remote, which I guess some sensible TV manufacturers (not Sony? ;) ) might have implemented. See here...

http://bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&bnoack.com/data/cables/scart-pinout.html

HenryT, Jul 14, 2004
  8. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Isaac, the cable I use now is a £20 Maplin one, and that "supports" RGB, so do you think theres much point in getting RGB only?

PBirkett, Jul 14, 2004
  9. I-S

paul - in that case, assuming you are in fact using RGB mode (it may default to composite or S-vid from SCART), it comes down to the age-old cable debate, which I don't propose to go into here, except to say that video signals are more sensitive due to much higher bandwidth requirements.

I-S, Jul 14, 2004
  10. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The Sky box is physically set to output RGB. I can tell when its not because the picture is very poor. When its in RGB mode, then changing the colour setting on the TV has no effect, so I assume it is outputting it.

I might give it a go sometime.

PBirkett, Jul 14, 2004
  11. I-S

Saab

Sky defo outputs RGB providing its been set in the services button on the handset,and its definately better
    services,system setup,then see if video output is set to RGB-change it to Pal,and it switches to what is coming via the roof aerial

cheers Henry,will look at that switching box thing,see if it works

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2004
    Saab, Jul 14, 2004
  12. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

My old 1992 Sony portable handles RGB as well - or it did, until my nephew (who was borrowing it) knocked it off the table and bust the neck of the tube!!!

My 1997 Sony 25inch also does RGB/SVid (odd, since there was only one device that output RGB at the time - a Pioneer CLD925 laserdisc); the telly even has an anamorphic button on it.

Isaac - are the cheapo widescreens any good? My Sony is great in clarity, but my eyesight is useless and 25inch widescreen pictures are dinky; plus if I got a cheapo widescreen I'd have an excuse to get a larger TV stand and tidy up my room a bit :) I'm tempted by Makro's £399 (plus VAT) Toshiba 32 inch - sounds like a real bargain for a flatscreen 32 incher!

domfjbrown, Jul 15, 2004
  13. I-S

It is pretty good for the money. It's a copy (completely) of a hitachi. I got it from, of all places, sainsbury's. £160 for a 28" widescreen with RGB input and NTSC (for my R1 DVDs) seemed pretty good to me, and for that price the quality is perfectly fine. £399 is a good price for a name-brand 32" flat screen... mine is an FST tube, rather than flat.

I-S, Jul 15, 2004
Ask a Question