Ringmat

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by NOS-4-A2, Oct 17, 2003.

1. NOS-4-A2

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

A question for all the flat-earthers out there:

Does anyone use the Ringmat support system and does it work?
    The thick end of £200 for some plastic spacers and a bit of card with cork rings stuck to it seems steep but if it makes a big difference to the sound of your TT it might just be a bargain?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2003
    NOS-4-A2, Oct 17, 2003
  2. NOS-4-A2

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

well I had one of those bits of plastic you put on your CD, for all I know I might still have it somewhere.

suffice to say its a peice of plastic with some black lines on it and it goes for 34 quid.

That my friend is 2 cds in Virgin, money much better spent.

garyi, Oct 17, 2003
  3. NOS-4-A2

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

years ago I had one that I sold to Lee.

I got rid of it because the gyro has a clamp..so surplus to requirements.

Dont know if he still has it, or if he sold it on.

It sounded fine - I do think the advert with a picture of a glass of wine first cloudy and then clear is an exageration. Advertising complaints commission anyone? :D

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 17, 2003
  4. NOS-4-A2

penance Arrogant Cock

I have a ringmat, on its own not with the support system (would you really use it to change VTA for each record?)
    I use it on a Linn Basik at the moment, it did make a worthwhile improvement, more air, seperation blah blah
    Was it worth £45?, well not sure on that one. Though i kept it so it isnt a blatent rip off IMO.

Im building a turntable with a Scheu 80mm acrylic platter at the moment, it will take a while to complete but once it is i wont have a need for the ring mat so im quite open to offers if your willing to wait, that is if you happy with just the ringmat and not the support system with it.

penance, Oct 17, 2003
  5. NOS-4-A2

MO! MOnkey`ead!

my mate picked one of these up at a show a few years back. It caused errors on his cdp, sometimes it wouldn't play at all, and other times it would stop mid way. He worked in a hifi shop (of sorts :rolleyes: ), and tried it in various other players and it was very hit and miss with them too!

MO!, Oct 18, 2003
  6. NOS-4-A2

Thanks for the offer but I've got a VPI Aries Scout with a 40mm acrylic platter and a clamping system - I would be replacing the clamp with the ringmat and from the look of things that might well be a retrograde step.

NOS-4-A2, Oct 19, 2003
  7. NOS-4-A2

Hows the refurbishments going Tom? finished yet?

NB
    The HNE rack is still fab (and will remain so Im sure ! - its turning me into a snob though, Im thinking of giving my VHS video to oxfam, cos it ruins the look of my hifi on it !!
    :rolleyes: think Ive definately lost the plot !

Id definately stick with the clamp personally - its the way they designed it... and you've got that added bonus that if you leave a warped record on for a few days it gets flatter !

bottleneck, Oct 19, 2003
  8. NOS-4-A2

Hi Chris - we're up to roof level, hoping to get weatherproof by the end of next week and finished by the end of November. The electrician nearly had a fit when I described the power supply I wanted for the hi-fi kit though:MILD:

Be careful about worrying about the looks of your kit - that route leads to a B&O 'lifestyle' system:rolleyes:

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  9. NOS-4-A2

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

He he he - not in this life personally - I leave my platter running (unless it's 7inch singles time!) so that'd be no good....

*I'd* be interested if the price was right - is it thinner than the Rega mat, as even though I have an arm spacer on my Planar3, the Ortofon cart is very very slightly tilted - plus if the mat is cork - bye bye static problems... :)

domfjbrown, Oct 20, 2003
  10. NOS-4-A2

penance Arrogant Cock

dom, no idea how it compares to a rega met im afraid.
    I think the price would be right:)
    PM me and we'll discusss if your interested, but as i said it may be a little while yet.

penance, Oct 20, 2003
  11. NOS-4-A2

thats true, it was much better for static.

If your platter is ultra smooth though, it can be just a teeny bit 'slippy' ! at least compared to a TT with a clamp anyways. It worked quite well on the glass plinth of my old systemdek IIXE, but slightly less well on the acrylic of the gyro.. still ok though.

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 20, 2003
  12. NOS-4-A2

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey NOS,

If you have GBP 200 burning a hole in your pocket, can I suggest that you seek out some pristine and well-recorded vinyl or put it towards a new cartridge instead of the Ringmat wots-its?:D

If those suggestions are not enough, then you can contact Harry Weisfeld, designer of your VPI deck who I guess would also suggest getting some new vinyl and maybe upgrading the cartridge.:D Btw, you have a fine sounding TT there.

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie:D

Lawrie, Oct 20, 2003
Ask a Question