Ringmats and stuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by griffo104, Jan 25, 2005.

1. griffo104

griffo104

Anyone out there had any experience of using the Ringmat support system?

I'm using an LP12/Lingo/Akito/Goldring Elite and currently use the ringmat on its own which I prefer to the felt mat - although only just.

Having got a bit of spare cash and having placed an order for some records the tweaker in me, post xmas blues, has kicked in. I started reading about the spacers and statmat/caps used in the full system. It looks quite expensive for what you get since I don't play around with VTA I was wondering if this system could help or made a difference... or just make me paranoid over every record I played.

I did have the cd statmat and didn't really think it made any difference and prefer the SID mat.

Alternatively I could just save the money and put it towards a new cartridge.

griffo104, Jan 25, 2005
  2. griffo104

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The LP12 has been through many many years of HIFI owners and Linn tweaks.

ONe thing that has remained constant is the mat, and I truely believe you should not F**K about in this area. Do not waste your money on this shite.

Perhaps check out your cart in terms of its age. Is it an MC one? If not something like a DV karet 19D2 would be superb (I know I had it on my old lp12 with tick tok)

garyi, Jan 25, 2005
  3. griffo104

Mr.C

I second that. I actually managed to try the Ringmat stuff without obligation to buy, and I was not impressed.

Mr.C, Jan 25, 2005
  4. griffo104

griffo104

Thanks guys.

The problem I had with the felt mat was that it appeared to be continually gathering dirt and dust and I was getting paranoid about this getting on to the record itself.

The system got excellent reviews but I found the cd statmat really disappointing.

The cart is about 2.5 years old but since getting a better phono stage (Dino+) then maybe a better cart than the elite has been in my thoughts for a while. I've been looking at the Dynavectors for a while. Think I'll put the cash towards a new cart later in the year.

griffo104, Jan 26, 2005
  5. griffo104

Dick Bowman

How I wish I'd kept the Linn flyer for the LP12 which explained that the felt mat was so that DJs could do slip-cueing. That was in the days of four-digit serial numbers - the price had just gone up from £55 to £75 (yes, the LP12, not the mat).

Dick Bowman, Jan 26, 2005
  6. griffo104

spxy

My ringmat so wipes the Lp12 felt mat on floor its unbelievable.But I don't use it as standard,I use the rubber damping mat underneight and both that and the ringmat are sellotaped to the plater with three small blobs of tape at 120degree points .This makes a huge difference.The ringmat on its own sounded a bit harsh and thin compared to the felt mat.But when I'd done these previously mentioned changes the ringmat blew the felt mat out of the water, and actually made the Lp12 sound broken with the felt mat in place.
    You get a much fuller and cleaner sound with less distortion and much firmer deeper bass.
    I wouldn't bother with the spacers but I would get the rubber damping mat and some sellotape.
    heres a picy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2005
    spxy, Jan 26, 2005
  7. griffo104

djc

The ringmat certainly changes the sound of the LP12. You can get an idea of the direction it will take you by DIYing a thin bubblewrap mat (assuming you can adjust your VTA easily). Many people would say that whilst it improves some areas it's not a free lunch. Some of the LP12-ness is lost and not all in a good way. I would suggest if you *really* like what the ringmat does, you might be advised to listen to some different decks!

djc, Jan 26, 2005
  8. griffo104

spxy

I beleive a bubble wrap mat would be nothing like a ring mat. :D

spxy, Jan 26, 2005
  9. griffo104

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I had a Ringmat with my old Systemdeck IIXE about 5 years ago.

Couldnt personally detect any difference between it and the felt mat.

YMMV

Chris

bottleneck, Jan 26, 2005
Ask a Question