RIP HFC Forums?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I-S

Ian J

Well, that won't be caused by sheer weight of numbers as I find it quite a lonely place to surf.

I did start read the offending thread last night and ended up emailing all of the moderators as that sort of rubbish left in full view will give HFC a very bad image. If people want to read stuff like that they can go to the newsgroups.

Ian J, Aug 4, 2003
  2. I-S

michaelab desafinado

Oh dear - really does look as if it's all gone pear shaped for Lim :(

I tried to give him some "pointers", suggesting that his very agressive style of promoting his products wasn't doing him or valve amps in general any favours but he didn't want to know. Looks like he's really gone off the deep end now :eek:

Looks like HFC have done their usual blunt instrument style moderating (deleting way more than necessary) and way too late. They should either spend the resources to run it properly or not run it at all IMO.

I doubt that Lim's adverts in HFC generate a significant amount of revenue for them compared to their other regular advertisers. Looks like he was banned....and promptly re-registered as lim_valve2 - 10 points for originality and stealth :D

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 4, 2003
  3. I-S

voodoo OdD

The one thing that worries me about that sort of behaviour (and those that have used HFC for a while will know this) is that they just troll on over to somewhere else and do the same thing.

Who's the next easy target ?

:rolleyes:

voodoo, Aug 5, 2003
  4. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

haven't read any of the offending posts, but going on what's been said above, what a sad sad little man he must be! Two wrongs don't make a right, but would be some sort of justice if his sales were hit! I wouldn't consider buying from him!

MO!, Aug 5, 2003
  5. I-S

FTB

Isn't that thread just typical of what happens if you allow salesmen to push products within a so called independent forum. Tempers get frayed as it's not just an academic argument but income at stake.

One of the major talking points in recent months at another forum has been the behaviour of a different saleman that won't take prisoners if a possible sale is at stake.

FTB, Aug 5, 2003
  6. I-S

Sgt Rock

LOL I found his web site there are some more of his classic quotes there :-

WARNING !

MOST Hi Fi Reviewers do NOT have a degree in Electronic Engineering.
    So, how can they advise you in a complicated technical subject like Hi Fi ?

MOST Hi Fi Reviewers do NOT even know how to measure the distortion of an amplifier.

MOST Hi Fi Reviewers makes technical mistakes in their reviews.
    I will point out some of these mistakes to you !

Sgt Rock, Aug 5, 2003
  7. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

my god! the man's a megalomaniac
    he censors posts to his forum before they are posted (this will take 24 - 48 hours)
    in order to buy some valves you have to quote the number on the existing valve, the s/n of your amp.
    if you bought 2nd hand you have to give that guys name
    if you bought from a shop you have to gived the name of the shop
    if you bought outside the uk then f*ck off.
    all to replace some burnt out valves.

i'm scared to look anywhere else in case his strange literary style is in fact some sort of strange cast off military technique to indoctrinate the reader into believing the subject matter.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 5, 2003
  8. I-S

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

think i might have to sign up:JPS:

themadhippy, Aug 5, 2003
  9. I-S

batfink

What an appalling website. I can see he learnt his skills (not just web design, but also sales tactics) from old American Websites that would try and sell you some useless cr*p.

batfink, Aug 5, 2003
  10. I-S

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The real shame of it is that Lim's amps are actually pretty good, and excellent VFM if you want to dip your toe into the valve water.

Of course he has nothing to do with the design, which come from China, like just about everything is now or soon will be.

LiloLee, Aug 5, 2003
  11. I-S

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

guess what web site contained this gem?

themadhippy, Aug 5, 2003
  12. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Dare I ask if he has a degree in electronic engineering?

And so what either way? There are many people out there, including in the hifi industry who don't have degrees in electronic engineering. I do have a BEng degree in electronic engineering, and I can assure you that years of experience mean that they know a hell of a lot more than I do. Some of them post here.

I also write reviews (www.enscape.net). Reviewing things is very difficult actually, but I'm not convinced that you must know everything about the technicalities of what you're reviewing. There is a place for reviews from the point of view of someone who doesn't know ANYTHING about what they're reviewing, because they're in the same position as a significant part of their audience if the item in question is somewhat technical. For example, when someone is buying a graphics card are they interested in the dimensions of the transistors in the GPU, or how many transistors there are, or are they more interested in the frame rate it will get in their favourite game or what it will allow them to do that another card won't (dual head, TV out, whatever)?

And the same is true in hifi reviewing. We care how it sounds. Not how it got there. Of course, how it got there has a major bearing on how it sounds (and hence the big valves vs transistor debates...), but it doesn't require the level of knowledge that a degree in the subject gives you to understand the basic differences (eg valves have a particular sound, transistors do, different amp configurations (eg class A, class B, etc) do, and so on.

Plus, what he's also missed is that a modern electronic engineering degree is primarily concerned with digital electronics, programming and engineering techniques (eg software engineering process models) than analogue electronics. Valves were only mentioned as an explanation of why parts of a transistor characteristic are described as the Triode Region and Pentode Region (in fact, the question was fielded to the students, and I was the only one capable of answering...).

I-S, Aug 5, 2003
  13. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

was the intention to sound so *smug* in this post? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

MO!, Aug 6, 2003
Ask a Question