Road Pricing Petition

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by technobear, Jan 12, 2007.

1. technobear

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I know congestion is a problem and we all need to drive less to reduce global warming but I don't believe that the governments Orwellian road pricing scheme is the right way to do it.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.

The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver.

A non-working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect a NIP* with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Please pass this on to anyone who owns a car/motorcycle.

* NIP = Notice of Intended Prosecution

technobear, Jan 12, 2007
  2. technobear

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i really can;t see how this can work - this is far bigger than a few p tax on petrol and look what happened when just one set of professional drivers got pissed off with a government proposal they didn;t like. i can see massive food shortages. the post office grinding to a halt as well as fuel not being delivered as a result. people would just tell the govt to **** off and not buy the bloody things - maybe if they made it obligatory for new vehicles which were unnecessarily polluting (large 4x4's in urban areas, all large luxury cars, all sports cars / convertibles) it might be accepted but a blanket enforcement would see utter chaos.

julian2002, Jan 14, 2007
  3. technobear

Bob McC living the life of Riley

A non-working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

Quite right too.

Bob McC, Jan 14, 2007
Ask a Question