Robbo is the King of Hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mick parry, Nov 29, 2003.

1. mick parry

mick parry stroppy old git

Chaps

I have had several of you "audiophiles" around to listen to my system and all have said it sounds great etc etc. Some preferred other systems but mine did sound good. Some even said it was the best sounding system they have ever heard.

Robbo was the exception, I could tell he wasn't sold on it and he commented that on occassions it sounded out of phase.

Today I fitted some heavy duty XLR connectors to the back of my Briks and bugger me, the previous owner had soldered the left hand speaker out of phase. I have since corrected it and it does sound sharper.

I therefore nominate Robbo the King of Hifi....the man with the golden ears.......Robbo take a bow....I admire you. You are now the creme de la creme of this forum.

Yours in admiration

Mick

NB This just proves that Naim sounds good even when out of phase.

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  2. mick parry

quickie

Mick,
    This is a wind up I take it?:confused:

Paul.

quickie, Nov 29, 2003
  3. mick parry

Paul

Absolutely true I am afraid.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  4. mick parry

quickie

Perhaps it's something to do with the bariks,but with with phase reversed on one channel it should sound truly awfull.....this includes Naim systems as well.

Paul.

quickie, Nov 29, 2003
  5. mick parry

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

If you say so Mick, we'll believe you :D

wadia-miester, Nov 29, 2003
  6. mick parry

Paul

Absolutely true I am afraid.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  7. mick parry

Robbo

Well well, I thought something wasnt right. The bass on some tracks seemed to only be out of one speaker and I remember making comments about the lack of deep bass. not surprising if the bass drivers were out of phase! That also explains why the imaging was strange to say the least.

Now that you have it sorted, next time I am in the area I'd love to pop over for another listen - especially if there is a CDS3 in situ:)

Robbo

Robbo, Nov 29, 2003
  8. mick parry

Tone

You have to come down again....this is a revalation. I just cannot understand why I or no one else picked it up.

Like I said....Robbo is the man with the golden ears.

Back downstairs listening again.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  9. mick parry

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mick, I seem to remember a little tet a tet, you were having on pink fish/mana last year, (after Timpys & yours turely) had visited your fair abode, you had another well know and respected naimie round not long after, and you were pround to announce David? could find nothing wrong and the system was in tip top shape, seems his ears are tainted too :D
    In our defense I will say, we just didn't like it, and even rephasing couldn't possibly rescue it from it prediciment, but I will doff my hat to you, in your admitting it in public sir, (Have you done this at Salisbury central yet?), Mick, you have gone a way to redeeming your self sir :) Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 29, 2003
  10. mick parry

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

We all cock up mate!

A bit of humility is good for the soul!

....until the bake off at mine, Id never realised that my TT channels were the wrong way round!!! (interconnects mixed up!!)

hehehe - anyone else want to hold up their dirty underwear?

bottleneck, Nov 29, 2003
  11. mick parry

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I had my I/Cs the wrong way around.... as in L and R reversed, and I was sure that something sounded wrong. Checked polarity of speaker leads... no prob.... But then found that the i/cs were wrong at the cdp end. It did sound "wrong"...

I-S, Nov 29, 2003
  12. mick parry

Wingnut

Out of phase speakers? Schoolboy error - I should know i've done it myself (although I was a schoolboy at the time so that doesn't count). It took a suprising amount of time to diagnose what was wrong with my Hi-Fi, I thought it was on the way out. In the end I realised it was out of phase when I checked all my cables.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 29, 2003
  13. mick parry

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hands up here as well, I've had the speaker cable on the back of the amp the wrong way round as well. I thought it was a bit odd the way some guitar solos seemed to be coming from the side of the room!:D :eek:

davidcotton, Nov 29, 2003
  14. mick parry

Chaps

I have just spent the last couple of hours playing music and I still cannot believe that the out of phase remained undected for so long. Even a dealer said it was fine along with goodness knows how many audiophiles.

I don't know whether to feel ashamed, angry, relieved or amused or what.....all I know is that the sound is now so much cleaner and addictive. I will probably be playing until the early hours.

I still don't know what to think, I am utterly perplexed which is almost unknown for me.

Regards

Mick

PS Robbo........I would like you to visit again if only to say you can notice the difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2003
    mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  15. mick parry

HenryT

Speakers being wired out of phase is normally something I notice within less than 5 seconds of getting my ears between a set of speakers.

I suppose if either on-axis listening or imaging aren't that important to you, then I suppose it isn't that surprising that you wouldn't notice it immediately. Although, out of phase wiring can affect other areas of the music such as bass, but in a more insidious rather than blatantly obvious manner.

I'm sure this recent discovery will turn out to be the equivalent of at least a couple of big box upgrades - ATB to you Mick and "happy listening" as a lot of the US audiophiles I've corresponded with in the past like to say. :)

HenryT, Nov 29, 2003
  16. mick parry

Paul Ranson

Kudos to Mick for coming clean, jeers in the general direction of all those visitors who didn't notice!

I remember reports on the Naim forum of people upgrading from NAP250 to a pair of NAP135 and living for years with out-of-phase speakers and I've never quite believed it.

I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed, even if only because I've noticed just the left mid and treble connected out of phase on my active system.

But we'll never know now, I was all primed to make an appointment nearly a year ago and then a premature birth got in the way. Saved by the broken waters....

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 30, 2003
  17. mick parry

voodoo OdD

Re: Chaps

Mick, just think of it as a cheap (but very beneficial) upgrade !

:D

voodoo, Nov 30, 2003
  18. mick parry

penance Arrogant Cock

few years ago i had bi-wired missions. Wasnt until i replaced the cable i found out the LF cable on the right side had fallen out:shame:

penance, Nov 30, 2003
  19. mick parry

voodoo OdD

Missions - exactly ;).

voodoo, Nov 30, 2003
  20. mick parry

penance Arrogant Cock

yup
    they sucked a big sucky thing.
    TBH owning the missions (they were crap, no offense to modern mission owners) was probably more embarrasing than not hokking them up correctly:D

penance, Nov 30, 2003
Ask a Question