Robbo...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by LinnkUp, Jan 24, 2004.

1. LinnkUp

LinnkUp

Just had a look at the Moon website - interesting stuff indeed!

How much are these products in the UK? What ones are you using?

Cheers,

Lee

LinnkUp, Jan 24, 2004
  2. LinnkUp

Robbo

Linnkup,

I use the Simaudio Eclipse CD player which retails for £5.5K. Of course, theres no need to pay that amount as you can pick them up in the UK s/h for £3K or in the US on audiogon for $3K.

The CDP has tremendous detail, naturalness and imaging, and also times well IMO and does the groove thing (perhaps not as good as the Naim kit, but close) I am sure now JTC and Mick Parry will come along to say that's a load of rubbish, but having heard the naim CDS3 in an all Naim system, I actually think I get a better sense of timing in my system than I heard from the Naim system. I would strongly recommend that anyone in the market for a top CDP at least has a dem of the eclipse as it may well just be the ticket.

The amplifiers are pretty damn good as well. Merlin uses a P5/W3 pre/power and it is exceptionally good. Some of the best amps I have heard. They again combine the best bits of both round and flat earth.

I also think that a complete rack of Sim gear (in black) looks pretty stunning. Thats a good enough reason to buy, surely;)

If you are in my area, you are always welcome to drop by for a listen.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jan 24, 2004
  3. LinnkUp

mick parry stroppy old git

Robbo

Thanks for the hospitality today, it was an interesting afternoon.

Fortunately both Mrs Mick and I prefer the Naim / Brik sound but hats off to you, yours is pretty good.

Its all down to presentation. My system has a fuller, deeper and bassier sound which I love. Yours was detailed and articulate and more Hifi. I prefer mine and I know you prefer yours and theres nothing wrong with that.

Next time we meet, we should swap speakers....be interesting if nothing else.

Regards

Mick.....now convinced that Salisbury is the home of the Gods blah blah blah.

mick parry, Jan 24, 2004
  4. LinnkUp

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Mick has indeed successfully highlighted the point that huge speakers have more bass, size and weight than little ones!

To give Salisbury any credit for two isobaric loaded B139s in a big box is pushing it a bit ;)

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 24, 2004
  5. LinnkUp

Tony

Its the CDS3 and the 135's blah blah blah

mick parry, Jan 24, 2004
  6. LinnkUp

Robbo

Mick,

Glad you enjoyed the afternoon. After hearing your system, I knew that you would find adjusting to mine a difficult experience as they are two very different sounding systems. Yours is classic Linn/Naim, mine is more of a modern sound with genuine transparency and masses more detail with less cloying warmth (although it is still on the warm side of neutral without that horrible brashness that many modern systems possess). Obviously with small speakers you are not going to get pinned to the back wall on tracks such as Gladiator.

The only thing to do with systems that sound so different is to stop comparing how much bass or detail is present and try to just listen to whether the music has involvement and emotion. I believe that both of our systems have that, so we should both be very pleased with that.

Also comparing whether amps/CD players are better is totally meaningless as you can only comapare the systems as a whole.

Casting aside the tonal balance and bass extension differences, how did you feel my system fared in terms of flat earth things such as timing, speed, groove? IMO it certainly lacks nothing in these areas when I compare it to yours, but what does a Naim owner think?

Robbo, Jan 25, 2004
  7. LinnkUp

Robbo

Thanks again for the session, both Sue and I enjoyed it.

You said..."Yours is classic Linn/Naim, mine is more of a modern sound with genuine transparency and masses more detail with less cloying warmth (although it is still on the warm side of neutral without that horrible brashness that many modern systems possess). Obviously with small speakers you are not going to get pinned to the back of the wall on tracks such as Gladiator.

Basically I will agree with that statement. Sue and I found your system very dynamic but a bit bass light until you added the sub woofer, and then in our opinion, the system went up a couple of notches. I think you should either go for a subwooofer or look for another set of speakers. However, one word of caution, I got the impression that you favour top/mid end performance above all else, so choose slowly and carefully. The complication is that your listening room is around 15 ft square so it will take a bit of filling.

Your system definitely has a very modern sound and is very detailed and transparent. This did surprise me somewhat because you have a valve amp and small speakers and yet the sound and detail oozed out in abundance. This just shows how well valves have come on in recent years.

When we got home, I immediately replayed some of the music we had been listening to in your system and I found my system much fuller and more engaging. Possibly a comfort fact of familiarity.

I think that is what Naimees like about Naim, it communicates the music in a very natural way.

I found the visit useful as well as enjoyable. It was useful because I often listen to other Naim systems where the only variable is the speakers, listening to your system opened up the picture and provided another alternative to consider.

Fortunately for me, both Sue and I prefered the Naim sound and we will continue along that path with a renewed enthusiasm and confidence.

I think that fora are great but visiting other audiophiles is the best way to really know what you want out of a sytem. I recommend others to do the same.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 25, 2004
  8. LinnkUp

Robbo

Amen to that!

Regards, Robbo

Robbo, Jan 25, 2004
  9. LinnkUp

Paul Ranson

But how many tings?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 25, 2004
  10. LinnkUp

Robbo

I dont think Mick brought along any tings.

Robbo, Jan 25, 2004
Ask a Question