rogers ls5/9

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by samurai, May 15, 2006.

1. samurai

samurai

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    samurai, May 15, 2006
  2. samurai

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

They used to be the speaker of choice for smaller BBC VT rooms, edit suites and sound tracklaying areas, usually powered by Quad 303s or H&H 50W monos.
    Never heard them with valves, but they are an excellent speaker with the beautiful midrange of the LS3/5as, but with bass and power handling, and without the flabbiness at the bottom end of the larger LS5/8.
    They did tend, however toward the bland looking with black ash veneer cabinets, but I didn't tire of them after 17 years of hearing them almost every day!

leonard smalls, May 15, 2006
  3. samurai

samurai

thanks,

I also see different connections, some din some the regular biwired connectors. any idea if this makes a difference? and are there other differences during years of production?

thanks
    ________
    medical marijuana grow

samurai, May 15, 2006
  4. samurai

AFAIK there ws only 1 model..
    The different types of connections probably show they were used in a profesional environment - at the beeb we used to use 3 pin XLR connections, though I was never sure if they were actually balanced or if this was just for ease of wiring with the third pin not being used. The last thing you want in a pro studio is 100 different types of connection if you can get away with only 1 or 2!
    I'm sure they used to cost nearly £2k a pair new, no doubt due to the scrupulous matching ..

leonard smalls, May 15, 2006
  5. samurai

samurai

so these speakers were matched? and besides black veneer would you happen to know other veneers?

thanks,
    ________
    penny stocks

samurai, May 15, 2006
  6. samurai

I've seen them in black ash and teak... And they were matched in the same way as LS3/5as were, quite important for qualitative listening!
    Here's some on ebay at £150, bit tatty though, but still a most excellent speaker at that price!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ex-BBC-Rogers...ryZ21145QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

leonard smalls, May 17, 2006
Ask a Question