Rogue Audio 88 Power Amp - £850

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Dynamic Turtle, May 19, 2009.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Gents,

Ok I've had a complete system overhaul after having the last one in place for about two and a half years. I simply decided it was time for a change and have swapped my CDP/Pre/Power. I recently bought an Usher R1.2s amp to try out as a replacement for the Rogue and have decided to keep it. It's noisier (in terms of background hum) and hotter than the Rogue, but it makes very nice music for a transistor amp, with 125 class A watts on tap. As an aside, if you're a hardcore thermionic junkie like me but fancy giving transistors a try, class A is the way to go.

Anyway, the Rogue is a very accomplished power amp and delivers 60 ultralinear WPC into 8 ohms (but is currently configured with the 4ohm outputs attached). It is switchable into triode mode to give 30wpc if you have sensitive speakers like my Amphions. I do and it soudned very nice. Fractionally warmer, with a softer edge to notes, but with a tiny loss of driving power in the bass, which became fractionally flabbier. The difference is subtle with sensitive speakers though, so it's a case of suck it and see. Try both. If you're an acoustic or vocals lover, you may decide to stick with the triode mode.

Boxed in absolutely pristine condition, it comes with the original tubes, which are the amoung the best modern production tubes you can get (Svetlana Winged C 6550s, Sovtek 12AU7s, Electro Harmonix 12AX7LPS), spare fuses and the orignal box. The amp can use KT88s if you fancy, but they are more expensive, less reliable and shorter lived than the 6550.

I can email pics of the internals to show you the build and component quality. Three large transformers (no corners cut here), mechanically grounded means the amp weighs 25kg and the box is big. UK Shipping will be expensive as a result - probably £30.

The RRP was £1500 before Audioc***s started distributing, now it is near £2600 for the Stereo 90 replacement. I'll be surprised if you can find an amp of this build quality, condition and sonic prowess for £850.

Review here: http://hifiplus.co.uk/t-rev15-1.html
    Magnum 88 review: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/rogue/88.html
    manual here: http://www.rogueaudio.com/manuals/88_Manual.pdf

DT

Attached Files:

• RA88.jpg
      RA88.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    Dynamic Turtle, May 19, 2009
  2. Dynamic Turtle