Rogue Audio Stereo 90

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Feb 20, 2011.

1. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

Can anyone comment on there gear/sound , looks well made with large

transformers im told that the kt88 is the valve of choice if coming from naim ss

thanks ocean

oceanobsession, Feb 20, 2011
  2. oceanobsession

Ya-Boo

If its the same model Rouge power amp I've heard the fan noise drove me nuts !

Ya-Boo, Feb 21, 2011
  3. oceanobsession

Tenson Moderator

Didn't / doesn't Dev have one of these?

Tenson, Feb 21, 2011
  4. oceanobsession

Dev Moderator

I do indeed have a Rogue Stereo 90. I have a set of 6550s in them at the moment but also have a set of KT88. I can't comment on how it'll sound to an ex Naim user because I've never heard a Naim connected to my speakers.

Both Rob and you have heard the Rogue and Naim and are more critical listeners so I'd have thought you two would be better placed to comment. You're always welcome for another listen if you need to refresh your memory :).

P.S. Mine does not have a fan, as far as I know.

Dev, Feb 21, 2011
  5. oceanobsession

Rocket 88

I have a modded Rogue 88 - and one of the mods is disconnection and removal of fan. Extra cooling is helped by modding the casework to afford better airflow. I read on a US forum others have done this to good effect. Mine has Tung sol 6550s and has been rewired with Kondo copper cable, and various upgraded components. Rogue have a reputation for value for money, ruggedness (bar the M120s, see above) and good bass..they sound like a good transistor amp..

Rocket 88, Feb 21, 2011
  6. oceanobsession

Tenson Moderator

Oceanobsession, why are you thinking of going down this route? What do you want to achieve?

Many will I'm sure disagree, but most Naim kit these days doesn't have a house sound and is very neutral (which is a compliment in my book). The exception is their speakers, which have quite a bit of character.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2011
  7. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

Re Rogue Audio Stereo 90

Sorry i may have mislead you my amps are avi pre and monos, i fancy trying valves

but my speakers are 87db the rogue audio is for sale and cheap considering new

price, to much choice

1. ear 843 £1999 seconhand
    2. audio research vs110 £1999 seconhand, could run this with my 843p and volume control

have also considered puresound a30 prima luna i would like somthing with

speed and grip not pipe and slippers. what im saying is if you were moving from

naim to valves and did not wont to much of a culter shock what would you pick

the ear 890 or 899 would be my first choice but they dont come up much.

never lisened to valves cheers ocean.

oceanobsession, Feb 21, 2011
  8. oceanobsession

Ya-Boo

Puresound a30 is an outstanding Amp, certainly not pipe and slippers

Ya-Boo, Feb 21, 2011
  9. oceanobsession

Tenson Moderator

If you don't want pipe and slippers then don't buy valves at all. If you buy a valve amp with speed and grip then it is behaving like a solid state amp and you may as well have bought a good solid state which is less money, more reliable and more powerful.

The only reason to buy a valve amp is if you want something to colour the sound. I'm not saying all valve amps are distorted and coloured, but it's the only logical reason to buy one.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2011
  10. oceanobsession

Dev Moderator

How much?
    Why not go to a bake off or ask someone on this or other forums if you can listen to their valve amp. Listen to as many as you can. Or you can try a dealer. It might save you money and heartache.

Dev, Feb 21, 2011
  11. oceanobsession

peez

I use Rogue - they play everything from Drum n Bass to Mozarts Pianos sonatas with ease - no fan and superb build all round.

peez, Mar 15, 2011
Ask a Question