Roksan Radius 5

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wizbongre, Mar 15, 2004.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading the HiFi gear (currently have mainly AV setup with Yamaha AV amp, Arcam Alpha CD and Pioneer DVD) but moving into new house in a few weeks and due to increased space I am considering a seperate hifi system...

I plan to keep the DVD and AV amp in the main living room with the surround speakers and get hold of few bits to set up a nice stereo system in the other living room. I will be using the Arcam Alpha 8 CD player, with an Audiolab 8000S amp (when I eventually find one in good condition) and now fancy getting a turntable to relive my lost youth and listen to a few of my old records - I might even buy a few new ones if the sound is good ;-)

Anyway, to my question... Is the above turntable a good investment? And does this link seem a bit fishy or will the price shoot up with time? I know v. little about turntables but am guessing that something like this is worth much more?

Thanks.

wizbongre, Mar 15, 2004
  2. wizbongre

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

It seems fine to me.

I would suggest you decide exactly how much you are prepared to pay and bid this amount no more than 10 seconds before the auction ends.

Bidding early can only push up the price. If the item is withdrawn early because of lack of bids (unlikely), be prepared to contact the vendor.

Good luck

7_V, Mar 15, 2004
  3. wizbongre

wizbongre

Thanks for the response...

Maybe I am just being a bit premature - no doubt the price will shoot up nearer to the auction end. I just thought it would have gone up a bit more already.... Never could figure out Ebay!

Second question then, is it a good turntable to begin with?

wizbongre, Mar 15, 2004
  4. wizbongre

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I haven't heard it but most Roksan products seem to be well reviewed.

The price will go up nearer the end. I would have thought that anything under £450 would be a very good price.

7_V, Mar 15, 2004
  5. wizbongre

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

From my Ebay experience, anyone who is interested in the item will be tracking it and watching how the price is going. Then as 7_V points out the majority of bids will appear towards the end of the auction, say in the last 60 minutes or so. More often than not someone will 'snipe' the item in the last few seconds when there is no time for someone to react.

As for the deck, they seem to get favourable reviews from the usual mags. Check Roksans website http://www.roksan.co.uk/ for reprints of the magazine reviews. You could also try http://www.nakedresource.com/news.shtml which is a forum dedicated to all things vinyl. Someone over there might be able to give you some opinions.

Hope this is of some help.

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Mar 15, 2004
  6. wizbongre

wizbongre

Thanks again (I've 'sniped', as you put it, a few items on ebay - only way to do it!!)

I suspect this may go out of my planned budget and I will end up with either a Project Debut or Rega Planar as originally planned...

wizbongre, Mar 15, 2004
  7. wizbongre

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

wizbongre, depending on your budget, there are several good deals out there at the moment. Audio-T (http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/offers/dem/dem_tt.html) are selling off their stock of Rega P25s for £399 (without a cartridge) as are several other hifi dealers, as Rega are updating their product range. They also have Planar 2s at a reasonable price.

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Mar 15, 2004
  8. wizbongre

jayceem

>Is it a good turntable to begin with?<

I bought one of these new (ebay) and Goldring 1042 with absolutely no regrets! Having had the top of the range Roksan TMS in my ownership for some 7 years, I did not really expect the Radius to measure-up. I was in for a complete shock, especially in the rhythm dept.

A TRUE NO-BRAINER PURCHASE

jayceem, Mar 28, 2004
Ask a Question