Roksan.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by davidcotton, Jul 4, 2003.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hi

Going to audition some amps tomorrow. Dealer reccommended having a listen to some Roksan amps. Has anyone had any success using the Roksan amps as basis for a system that would be primarily used for Rock? The rest of the system would be a Marantz 63 KI Signature cdp and Mission 780's on atacama stands.

Probably get the chance to listen to a couple of others (time permitting) but dealer didn't go into to much detail.

Already heard and rejected (for various reasons) Arcam A85 (although is it true that arcam are now using the normal banana plugs like everyone else?) Cyrus 7 and 8 and Rotel 1080.

Cheers...

davidcotton, Jul 4, 2003
  2. davidcotton

zanash

I've liked some of there gear but like everything else the can be a bit eclectic, so you'll either like or loath them.

Made nice turntables though !

zanash, Jul 4, 2003
  3. davidcotton

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Hmmm, Marantz 63 plus Mission 780.

I can see why the Cyrus wouldn't do. Not sure about the A85. What didn't you like?

If I had to have a Marantz CD player, I would be looking for an amp which is warm and very smooth, open and transparent but not in any way bright. How about a Sugden a21 or a Unison Research Unico. A second hand Arcam Alpha 8 or Alpha 9 would also suit. I'm sure others can suggest alternatives.

Chris

technobear, Jul 4, 2003
  4. davidcotton

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Anything by NAIM.:JOEL: :JPS:

lAmBoY, Jul 4, 2003
  5. davidcotton

kermit still dreaming.......

Roksan

"you don,t have to put on that red light ,":rolleyes:

kermit, Jul 4, 2003
  6. davidcotton

Sgt Rock

Re: Roksan

Wasn't she a cheap tart :D :D :D

Sgt Rock, Jul 4, 2003
  7. davidcotton

kermit still dreaming.......

sarge
    :D

sorry dave :respect:

roksan have got to be worth a listen , maybe a caspian , as they seem to get good reviews .
    and there seems to be a trend towards exposure amps , so maybe try something by them as well .

kermit, Jul 4, 2003
  8. davidcotton

First and foremost didn't like the comcon connections at the back. First time round the dealer hadn't lent me the correct adaptors for the plugs as he thought I would be able to get away with shoving them in the holes from the top. This wasn't ideal as they touched a couple of times causing a "dc connection" message to come up on the display. There was also the equivalent of a sonic boom (slight exaggeration, maybe but me dad heard the bang in the next room) that went through the missions twice, so thats put me off the a85. The sound wasn't too bad aside from a touch of nasle in the vocals that I didn't like that much. Whether that was due to the vdh I was using it with at the time I don't know.

davidcotton, Jul 5, 2003
  9. davidcotton

zanash

You sound like you like a similar sound to myself.

An unfashinable choice might be to have a listen to the Quad 909 or one of the smaller monoblocks of the 99 series. Now these are no frills amps they do not give you the extra's sonically that many so call top amps do. They are often crisized as being undynamic where as I'd say they give you what you put in, and no more! [isn't that what an amps supposed to do ?]

zanash, Jul 5, 2003
  10. davidcotton

osama Perenially Bored

I use roksan caspian integrated and power amps with my Marantz cd 17KIS and I guarantee you that they're party animals. You just need to partner them with some equally rocking speakers to get the most out of them. I don't know if they'll blend just fine with the 780s, but they seem to be not that choosy with partenring speakers at all. The caspians sound muscular though not the last word in this aspect and is characteristically laid back also that somehow helps in toning down forward sounding music.

regards

osama, Jul 5, 2003
  11. davidcotton

Well I went to Movement today and things didn't get off to a great start. First off they didnt have the speakers that I use in stock so they substituted them for the quad 11ls. Then the speakers were too far from the electronics so they used some different (never did find out which but it was a thick white one fwtw!)ones instead. Did get to use my ics though. Oh and did I mention at one point the hoover upstairs kicked in??

Anyway, first listened to :-

Marantz 63 KI Signature cdp (mine)

Roksan Kandy 1 Amp

Quad 11LS

Well wasn't completely blown away if I'm honest. Did hear some differences but thats all they were. Bass was the most interesting. Where it was dull and a bit plodding through the marantz amp I use now things had speeded up and become more rythmic. Also noticed the band playing more as a whole rather than just a "zoom in" of vocals and a bit of music behind. Wouldn't of bought the set up I don't think as initial impressions still lent a bit towards boom and tizz for my taste.

Won't bore anyone with a list of music used, cause most of you won't of heard of them! :p

Then they swopped the Roksan Kandy for the Exposure 2010. Now I have to say this is the most naff looking peice of equipment I've seen in ages. Three dials fair enough. Three dials with blue leds glowing brightly on each of them though?!?:eek: :confused: That put me off before I even heard it if I'm honest. I did only get about 20 minutes with that amp though (thats two and a half songs for me:eek: ) but initial impressions wern't great.

Conclusions

Well I'll be going back in a couple of weeks, this time taking my Mission 780's with me so I can get a fairer idea of the Kandy. The dealer also reccomends the new Arcam a80 thats just come out and also the Arcam a75 (dunno whether its the + or not) as he can get silly deals on it atm.

Just to say that both staff members at Movement Audio Moordown, Colin and Russell were extremely helpful at all times.

Cheers...

davidcotton, Jul 5, 2003
  12. davidcotton

zanash

Think I might have asked to take the thing home for a demo !

Sounds like the dealer was a little ill prepared for your visit. Still I've taken aday of work, turned up and to be told they double booked. Strangley I've never been back in ten years !

zanash, Jul 5, 2003
  13. davidcotton

Bit of a hassle with home demos unfortunately. You can take it home in the evening and take it back the next day. Or you can take it home saturday evening and get it back when they open on tuesday morning. As I don't drive and am reliant on others this causes a bit of hassle as you can imagine :(

davidcotton, Jul 5, 2003
  14. davidcotton

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I'm sure that if you explained that to them they would be a bit more obliging. I don't usually have trouble getting kit home for several days at least. I had the Castles for a week. I also had the ATC amp and speakers for a week.

Chris

technobear, Jul 5, 2003
  15. davidcotton

Robbo

Sounds like time to find a better dealer!

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 5, 2003
  16. davidcotton

robert_cyrus

there isn't a better dealer in this area IMO. trick is to spend a lot of money there and become their friend. i've borrowed a few bits and pieces on occasion. my old arcam is being serviced atm. pete asks me if i'd like a cdp to borrow while it's away. no, it's ok, i'm using my old h/k, it's only for the study. no really you can have one.
    hmm, maybe i should have asked for the wadia !

david have you tried phonography in ringwood ? they do sugden, and densen too i think. other alternative is the new sevenoaks in poole, they may have a longer home-demo policy.

robert_cyrus, Jul 5, 2003
Ask a Question