room acoustics (again, sorry)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Apr 14, 2006.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi

I am about to replace laminate floor (has sound proofing boards beneath) with carpet - because it will look nicer, and sound better.

Question is, for sound purposes, am I better leaving the laminate down and carpeting over it - to give a nice thick solid floor... or rip up the laminate and carpet onto the acoustic boards (which have your normal MDF boards underneath) - will be less thick and solid without the laminate.

I can do either and there is no cost difference. Anyone done both, and have experience of what might be better?

Cheers
    Chris

NB
    I know its only a small point, but I'll be narked if I get it badly wrong...

bottleneck, Apr 14, 2006
  2. bottleneck

zanash

Only gone the laminate route .....got rid of lots of dust related problems......

I'd just put the carpet on top .......but then again what do I know !

zanash, Apr 14, 2006
  3. bottleneck

mr cat Member of the month

I'd be tempted to just carpet it over - only because I'm lazy! but saying that - if you don't like the sound, then at least it's easier to do that than rip up the laminate, then at least you could try the ripping up of the laminat after that...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006
    mr cat, Apr 14, 2006
  4. bottleneck

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

What are the acoustic boards for and how do they work? Doesn't the laminate over the top stop them absorbing? In any case, after living with laminate I wouldn't personally have that unhygienic dirty dusty carpet stuff in the house. If the sound is too bright I would change the system or hang something at first reflection points, put down a rug or two, etc., first.

SteveC, Apr 14, 2006
  5. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

I'd go over the top as well, you can go back again if you want to.

Tenson, Apr 14, 2006
  6. bottleneck

AlexTaylor

Oooh, just you wait! The sonic treats that are in store for you when you put that carpet down!
    If you can, get the carpet fitted using system 10 rather than gripper rods as these little blighters can cause RFI.

AlexTaylor, Apr 14, 2006
  7. bottleneck

Stereo Mic

Use a nice thick underlay Chris, or some of the soundproofing matting from Custom Audio Design if you want to reduce transmission.

I laid my stuff on top. No complaints, except for the step up into the living room from the hall.

Stereo Mic, Apr 14, 2006
  8. bottleneck

Jimbo

As everyone else, at least you can go back again without anymore outlay. Things do go in and out of fashion don't they. Zanash sent you a pm. Jimbo.

Jimbo, Apr 14, 2006
  9. bottleneck

gregf

Why carpets? Can you not use some nice thick rugs to absorb the reflections? Anyway if you really want to carpet I would go over the top like everyone else.

gregf, Apr 14, 2006
  10. bottleneck

julian2002 Muper Soderator

chris, just whack it over the top mate, i'd put some of that super bouncy underlay down first as well just for good measure....
    you might want to mark out where your speakers go and put something down so the spikes don;t knacker the laminate when they go through the carpet - just in case you decide to go back.

julian2002, Apr 14, 2006
  11. bottleneck

Mark P

Use the best underlay you can. It increases sound absorbancy and the life of the carpet. I cost is an issue buy the better underlay and a cheaper carpet.

Oh, and assuming no pets or children, walk all over the carpet in socks or slippers for several weeks befor vacuuming. It allows the pile to twist together and settle. This is especially necessary if you use a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Mark P, Apr 15, 2006
  12. bottleneck

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

My first reaction is to agree with the carpet and good quality underlay route.

My guess is that the laminate would only have any effect on bass response in combination with room resonances. This may be only a little affected by the carpet/underlay. What is the bass like now?

Regards
    Steve

PS: If your speakers are spiked to the laminate, carpet and underlay won't make so much difference to transmission.

7_V, Apr 15, 2006
  13. bottleneck

zanash

My laminate cause a nasty first reflection off the floor...but I can live with it rather than the dust loaded carpet !

I'd agree with all the carpet and underlay comments too.....if you must have one!

zanash, Apr 15, 2006
  14. bottleneck

ditton happy old soul

now is your opportunity to invest in an oriental (audio-magical) carpet. I opted to buy a deep red design from Afghanistan. If you buy wisely these actually increase in value over time. The intricate hand-woven design absorbs unwanted reflection and RFI, and has high WAF.

ditton, Apr 15, 2006
  15. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thanks for all of the suggestions.

Having now read about this ''system 10'' it appears that it is glued to the underside of the carpet, and therefore does not need gripper rods (as suggested by Alex)

This sounds ideal - I cant imagine anyone wanting a laminate floor with gripper rod nail holes every 6 inches along its border..

oh.. yes I do prefer laminate from a dust perspective, but it sounds so horrible it's got to go... and already have a funky rug to go on top. :)

bottleneck, Apr 15, 2006
  16. bottleneck

KUB3 ciao

I had solid oak floors in my last place. Looked great, but was uncomfortable to walk on, freezing in winter, very dusty after 5 minutes and sounded totally crap! Carpeting is absolutely essential if you have any hifi pretentions whatsoever.

KUB3, Apr 15, 2006
  17. bottleneck

avanzato

Yes it's probably true. I don't have carpet and I don't have any HiFi pretentions either.

I am happy with my sound though.

avanzato, Apr 15, 2006
  18. bottleneck

AlexTaylor

lol

AlexTaylor, Apr 15, 2006
Ask a Question