Room acoustics

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DavidF, Jun 21, 2006.

1. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Yes it is against 'audiophile hi fi theory' but quite simply 'audiophile theory' is a load of cobblers :p

A digital EQ if used between a transport and DAC can correct for the rooms frequency amplitude AND phase problems (talk about interference with the signal?!) while only having to process and pass on the digital signal to the DAC.

The improvement it can make is enormous, especially in a room that is sub-ideal.

The Behringer DEQ is under £250. The room treatments are expensive if you want good ones, yes, but they make as much of an improvement as upgrading your speakers (more in a bad room), and it is there to upgrade any hi-fi you buy in the future. It also gives the DEQ (or other corrective EQ like TacT) a 'clean pallet' to work with which makes a huge difference.

I realise you are probably taking what I say with a large dose of salt as I sell room treatments but feel free to buy RPG ones, they are as effective as mine, only not made as nicely as most professionals don't give a crap. Also you might like to talk with Titian, Elberoth and Kub3 who have all had their rooms treated (none by me) about what difference it made to them. Kub3 has gone for the cheaper eBay rout but I think he still found it made a large improvement.

Edit: I suppose what I should say is they are no more expensive than any other good piece of Hi-Fi but they make a lot more difference! How much would you spend on a CD player?

Tenson, Jun 22, 2006
  2. DavidF

DavidF

It seems to me that in any interest or profession there are as many approaches as there are people.

A friend gives advise on my computer, which is usually at COMPLETE odds with my local computer shop.

From what I remember of my "O" level physics (one of the few subjects I enjoyed) I'm quite willing to beleive there is considerable mileage in what you say.

As my room clearly is less than ideal acoustically, I should probably be taking a closer look.

Thankyou for taking the time to write these notes.

DavidF, Jun 22, 2006
  3. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

No problem. Where are you based?

Tenson, Jun 22, 2006
  4. DavidF

DavidF

Shropshire, about 10miles north of Telford, 15 east of Shrewsbury.

DavidF, Jun 22, 2006
  5. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Ahh okay too far to just pop over and borrow some then ;)

Tenson, Jun 22, 2006
  6. DavidF

DavidF

Yes, but I appreciate the thought/offer.

DavidF, Jun 22, 2006
Ask a Question