Room Design

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Mar 26, 2008.

1. julian2002

felix part-time Horta

Trussed-rafters are a kind of immaculate one-hoss-shay: they can provide large spans out of small-dimension timber, but with zero redundancy. You can't remove any of the members - so to make space for an extension upwards you need to 1) replace the entire ceiling / new upper floor throughout the bungalow, because the lower horizontal members are nowhere near stiff enough to support a floor on their own, and 2) then build an entire new structure to support a new roof... Move house in preference - it would be a lot cheaper & easier.

With the traditional approach of rafters spanning from walls to ridge with an intermediate purlin or two and maybe a couple of diagonal braces in the middle of the whole loft space it's a lot less hassle to make things work. If your house was built more than 20-25years ago, this is probbaly what you have.

Seeing as you have your aunt&uncle to hand I'd get them involved good & early.

Discusison of the best way to detail the upper floor/ceiling/isolation has to follow-on from working-out how big the basic structural problem is - and this involves review of the walls downstairs. But to give some hope - and of course depending on how much upheaval you can stand!- it may be possible to retro-fit a concrete-based upper floor if thats what you decide you want, but it's not necessay to good isolation and in-room response.

(edit: Julian - I'd be happy to answer detail tech queries as best I can via PM if you like.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
    felix, Mar 28, 2008
  2. julian2002

tuga

How about this?

[​IMG]

tuga, Mar 28, 2008
  3. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nice.

missing a tweeter though?

bottleneck, Mar 28, 2008
  4. julian2002

tuga

Yes, and it doesn't look time aligned...

tuga, Mar 28, 2008
  5. julian2002

stephen

Midway through building a new room myself here, and hoping that I do have enough height for the 4.8 x 5.7m floor design - nearly 14' seems a bit high for a ceiling!
    These places along with a google on listening room dimensions helped a lot, plenty of ideas on construction design and products for soundproofing / flanking measures.
    Check out H&H Celcons site for some nice ways to use blocks and engineered timber - great fun to use and work with.
    http://www.soundservice.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/products.htm
    http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/index.php

stephen, Mar 28, 2008
  6. julian2002

Blue Note

Alternatively, you could save yourself a shed load of money and simply ‘float’ the speakers off the floor with something like Auralex Platfoam. Used a lot in recording studios and to isolate guitar amps on stage, etc. Cheap and easy to install. Astonishingly effective in my experience.

Blue Note, Mar 29, 2008
Ask a Question