room eq.'s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, May 14, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

anyone use them.

the behringers look great and cheap.

how do you use them,

as

1/ tone controls or

2/ room correction....does this mean flat freq?

and to do this do you need the measurement mic.

and they say you can get transformers too, anyone had them?

thansk

Lt Cdr Data, May 14, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I have been playing with the DEQ.

You can use it as a tone control, decompressor, play with stereo, etc.

To use it as room correction you need to know how to correct the room... you can try and do this by trial and error by ear, but you're better off using the mic. Room EQ will aim for a flat frequency response but you might find that a little dull, so people typically just EQ out any troublesome nodes and leave the rest alone. You can get the DEQ, cable and mic for around £280 all in, or if you're nearby you can borrow mine to get a feel for it.

I-S, May 14, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Anex Thermionic

Thats cheap, I was under the impression they cost far more than that comparing the cost of WinMLS and such. Different things but similar software and you have to pay for hardware with the DEQ

Anex, May 14, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

If you are willing to spend A LOT of time learning about digital room correction you can achieve a huge amount with the DEQ2496. Its actually sold as a studio mastering device so it's not exactly easy.

In my experience it works best if you have some amount of room treatment as well. Having a low RT60 in the bass means the EQ can work much better because with a messed up RT60 even if you adjust the frequency response to be flat your brain will still pick up the extra boomy'ness and say 'oh that's wrong!'

Something people forget to say about the DEQ2496 is that like the TacT RCS it can time align your subs if you like. It has a separate 'AUX' output which can have a very accurate delay put on it, as long as your sub performs the crossover you can time align.

Also note that although the automatic room correction only uses the 32 band graphic EQ you can manually adjust to 1hz accuracy using the parametric, though the accuracy is less in the high frequency range above about 1khz. You can do 'dual mono' correction too which is another step up from the automatic 'stereo linked'.

If that doesn't either confuse you or sell it too you then I don't know what will!

Tenson, May 14, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

I think Ya-Boo got one to play with, how did you get on Kev?

Tenson, May 14, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Ya-Boo

Its Still sitting in its box under the computor.......In love with the Apogee's at the mo, so been listening to loads of my old CD's that just sounded pant's with box speakers

Ya-Boo, May 14, 2005
Ask a Question