Rothwell Attenuators

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muzique man, Jun 1, 2005.

1. muzique man

muzique man Chris Brown

Could anyone tell me the pro's and con's of the Rothwell Attenuators. Ones i'm looking at are the balanced version.
    My volume control starts at roughly 7 o'clock by the time it reaches 8 o'clock thats a good listening level and 9 o'clock is loud but only on newer discs older discs you can turn it upto 11 o'clock anybody got any experience of this :)
    thanks

muzique man, Jun 1, 2005
  2. muzique man

Joe

Well, in my experience, the pro is that you get a more useable range on the volume control, but this is far outweighed by the con, which is that the music sounds much duller with the Rothwells in place.

Joe, Jun 1, 2005
  3. muzique man

Snoopdog

Agreed!

With the Rothwells in place in my system, the sound was 'rounded off' with less detail and life to the music.

Snoopdog, Jun 1, 2005
  4. muzique man

johnhunt recidivist

not my experience at all.

mine sit on the cdp side of my pre. the volume pot is much more userable and if any think it sounds better certainly not worse.

i wouldn't mind trying the balanced version too. Audio research Ls2 to evo4

actually i've no time to listen to it right now let alone play with it so scrub that

johnhunt, Jun 1, 2005
  5. muzique man

Joe

I've heard/read that the attenuators need time to 'burn in', but unfortunately there's only a limited time window in which to return them if they don't work in your system.

Joe, Jun 1, 2005
  6. muzique man

johnhunt recidivist

they are almost cheap as chips though - at least the phono ones are. how much are the xlr ones

johnhunt, Jun 1, 2005
  7. muzique man

muzique man Chris Brown

the xlr ones are £69

muzique man, Jun 1, 2005
  8. muzique man

analoguekid Planet Rush

Try running the cd and amp unbalanced! mind you I'm using a similar set up to you and don't have that problem.

analoguekid, Jun 1, 2005
  9. muzique man

griffo104

In my experiance of them they completely killed my Linn Mimik.

I could use more volume but the flat undynamic sound that was completely robbed of rythm made them painful to listen to.

I used them for a while in a 2nd system but found I still prefered the sound without them although they were much better here than on the Linn system.

griffo104, Jun 1, 2005
  10. muzique man

blakeaudio

but then again new resitors can often sound dull. has anyone used these over a longer time period? it would be interesting to see if the sound opens up following burn in?

blakeaudio, Jun 1, 2005
  11. muzique man

JimmyB

Tried them & they did round the sound off a bit so gave them back - these were 'burnt in' one's from a dealer. Wasn't too impressed by the fact that there was a lot of solder in these devices which couldn't help the sound too much. (Inside was just a couple of 0.25W resistors to form a voltage divider, the socket itself seemed to be made from a couple of standard quality phono sockets & plugs, hence the lot of solder holding them together).

Also tried a set of Russ Andrews leads with built in attenuation & these were a lot better but price was a much higher.

J

JimmyB, Jun 1, 2005
  12. muzique man

michaelab desafinado

If anyone's looking for a pair of XLR Rothwell Attenuators I have a pair I no longer need :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 1, 2005
Ask a Question