Royal Ascot 2004

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt F, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Went to Royal Ascot on Friday - first time (and in the Royal Enclosure too don't you know!).

Got fleeced by some Gypsie woman for a flower in the car park (did look nice on the jacket though) and she assured me that I would be lucky with my betting that day.

Wasn't betting a lot: £5 a race - but wondered if the Gypsie's good luck would help. Bought a copy of the Racing Post to help too - read the comments and based my choices on that only.

2:30 - £5 on Jewel in the Sand @10-1 - romps home - £50 up! Guaranteed to leave with more that I came with!

3:05 - £5 on Five Dynasites @ 3-1 - romps home - £15 winnings so that's £65 up. Christ - thank god I bought that flower! At this point the people I came with started backing whatever horse I was backing in addition to the one they fancied.

3:45 - no joy - back down to £60 profit

4:20 - £5 on Red Fort @ 6/1 - wins - £30 profit - £90 up! Didn't really care if I won any more (which was just as well).

4:55 - no luck (although I nearly did back the eventual winner)

5:30 - came 4th

So 3 out of 6 winners and I left £80 up which is fantastic considering I wasn't putting much on. It was the icing on the cake of what was a great day spent drinking champagne and milling around in a top hat and morning dress.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone - and if you go be sure to buy a flower or two of one of the Gypsies!

Matt.

Matt F, Jun 20, 2004
Ask a Question