Royal Mail

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Sep 30, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I posted a video yesterday at the post office to Northampton first class at the girl I sent it too has not recieved it yet. Is it normal for things to arive late? I am getting quite worried now as it took me two hours to find this item and its her birthday today.

amazingtrade, Sep 30, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Whilst next day delivery is the norm, I don't believe it's guaranteed :(

technobear, Sep 30, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Delivery the next day is more the exception than the norm with first class mail these days, in my experience. The other day I sent a couple of CDs to a friend via first class mail, and it took 10 days. It's bloody ridiculous.

ilockyer, Sep 30, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Ah yes, but you live in the arse end of nowhere (i.e. Devon). A couple of weeks ago it took me two days to get from Torquay to Plymouth. On the first day the queue for Totnes was two miles long so I turned around and went back to Torquay instead :(
    It's no wonder the mail takes a long time.

Here in modern sophisticated Somerset, mail invariably arrives the next day :p

Chris :D

technobear, Sep 30, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, it's all a bit of a sham really....to guarantee that any mail arrives next morning before 9, I believe to have to pay extra for that!
    and the amount of mail thats goes missing too...we're talking about millions per day, where does that disppear to?

mr cat, Sep 30, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

you also have to bear in mind - no offence to anyone here like! but most people who work on the minimum wage, i.e catering assisants, etc,etc,,, just don't give a sh*t about their job, I mean, the world hasn't done them many favours...

mr cat, Sep 30, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

Good point, it is somewhat of a dull backwater down here. And what the hell did you go to Plymouth for, no-one in their right mind goes there :D

Maybe all of us in Devon should get a fleet of carrier pigeons instead... probably quicker.

ilockyer, Sep 30, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

I really hope this item has not gone missing it will meen a dispapointed lady and me £8 out of pocket. I wonder if it all the missing post goes to the postal workers houses. The system is to reliant upon humans and is prone to so much error. Thankfully with the rise of this new digital age in 20 years time we will rely less on the mail service and more on SMPT and POP3. You will be able to send people films as an email attachment.

amazingtrade, Sep 30, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

Curiosity!

Which was rapidly satisfied :D

Not planning to go again :eek:

Ever ;)

technobear, Sep 30, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Many years ago, as student, I worked as a postman during the Christmas holidays. It wasn't quite the worst job I've ever had, but it came close. To call it a shambles, even then, would have been a compliment. I have always been dead-set against privatisation, but I'm wavering on this one.

By the way, I've been to Plymouth. Once.

My name is Ron, Sep 30, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I know a postman and he gets fairly well paid for being a non-skiilled delivery bod - about 300 quid a week - ie not much behind what I get. And he's always fudging overtime and getting away with it... So you might have rogue dogs and bad weather, but it's not as bad as people make out, so they have no excuse.

As for "arse end of Devon", I've had mail sent to Liverpool from Exeter that arrived next morning, from midmorning collection, and recently too, so that argument's invalid.

Anyway, if they don't like the job, they can always work at McDonalds or go to evening classes - sorry, no sympathy here. If I can do it with crap eyesight, then anyone can...

Plus if Posties are so skint - how come Mick Parry can afford all his Naim/Linn/Loricroft gear then???

"Hear this - this is the world's smallest violin playing just for the postmen..."

domfjbrown, Oct 1, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

She got the parcel this morning, one day late. Oh well at least it got there.

amazingtrade, Oct 1, 2003
  13. amazingtrade

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Yeah, well get this. A few weeks back, I happened to see our postman getting his post bags out the back of his car. What was this car? A fairly spanking BMW! Now, I'm sure I earn more than the average postie but there is no way on earth I could afford to run a Beemer (even if I'd wanted to, which I don't) unless I dumped the kids on to social services. Then again, this is Brixton, so the wheels are de rigeur. I just hope his insurance (right!) covers him for work...

My name is Ron, Oct 1, 2003
  14. amazingtrade

Maybe he has a rich wife.

amazingtrade, Oct 1, 2003
  15. amazingtrade

or had a rich wife... bumped her off for the life insurance money, or perhaps he just married for a divorce settlement? :D

ilockyer, Oct 2, 2003
  16. amazingtrade

mick parry stroppy old git

"Plus if Posties are so skint - how come Mick Parry can afford all his Naim/Linn/Loricroft gear then???.....Dom

I may have bought it but I have never said I could afford it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 2, 2003
  17. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

He he he - fair play Mick :D

I could say the same about my kit - so I can empathise... Music's more important than anything else (well, almost anything) to me, so that's where most of my wages go!

domfjbrown, Oct 3, 2003
Ask a Question