rti a7 and amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bigburb, Jul 12, 2024.

1. bigburb

bigburb

Hello, I've been reading forums trying to get as much info as i can, fell down many rabbit holes, lol. My system is made up of a Pioneer SC-1228k AVR, Nad BEE 316 powering the front RTI a7's. Avr powers csi a4 center and fxi a4 surrounds. Currently have a sound dynamics sub, (getting replaced by a svs 1000pro or a Tonewinner sw-d2000). Yamaha CD player and a Music Hall USB-1 Turntable. So my question is...Would I hear a difference in sound quality going to a more powerful amp? Looking at a Nad c272, (i keep reading about these speakers benefit from more power, quality power, to make them come alive, getting the ah ha now i hear it feeling). Also for some reason my turntable seems muddy sounding compared to C.D.'s or streaming music, volume actually seems lower, yes the pre amp is on, it's connected to CD in on AVR, set to stereo or pure doesn't change much, kind of disappointed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bigburb, Jul 12, 2024
  2. bigburb

Sergeauckland

Firstly, you would benefit from more power ONLY if the amplifier you're using is clipping in normal use. You can only find that out with a 'scope across the 'speakers, unless the amp has fast peak metering, which hardly any do.

Secondly, your turntable sounds muddy compared with CD because it is! LP playback has many times the distortion of digital playback. Having said that, I'm always surprised at how good LP playback can be, until I compare it with digital.

As to the volume difference, that's in good part due to LPs being far less compressed than many CDs, which are compressed to buggery. LPs are compressed, but at the time, they tried to get the maximum dynamic range onto an LP, whereas with CDs, they try and make them as LOUD as possible, because they can. Look up 'Loudness Wars' for an understanding of how CDs went from the best medium available to home listeners to fodder for the earbuds generation.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jul 12, 2024
  3. bigburb

Arkless Electronics

Indeed it is VERY common for people to unknowingly be using only maybe 1-2W on average and yet they question whether their 50WPC amp should be replaced by say a 150WPC amp....

Of course "there are Watts and then there are Watts" ie many smaller amplifiers of low price have weedy power supplies... but that's another can of worms! I recall maybe 35+ years ago hearing a budget Marantz amp being demoed with AR 18 speakers (awful things! How the hell did they get all those best buy ratings!?) at a pretty high volume and the "Power On" light was dimming in time with the bass!

Records can in fact sound BETTER than CD's in almost every way but to get this performance is not cheap. To beat even a budget CD player a turntable, arm and cartridge totalling over £2000 will usually be required and of course a top quality phono stage which will probably add another £1000+ (unless one buys one of my super value for money ones of course:D)

Arkless Electronics, Jul 12, 2024
Ask a Question