Running AV/hifi system off of one plug - not enough juice??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Sep 8, 2008.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Hey fellas,
    I have recently upgraded my system with a two plug trichord pulsar DAC (which has an external PSU) and a power hungry AVi integrated amp. I am running my xbox, TV, dac and amp from a single dedicated mains plugs via a 6 block extension lead.

Since the upgrade to more power hungry kit, I have noticed a few problems when running them all together. The TV (which is a CRT) will display white specks periodically for a second or two (particular when the amp gets louder dynamically in a film etc...) and sometimes the speakers will cut out for a split second with a little pop which I am really concerned about!

In short, I think the problem is that I am running way too much guzzling kit from one plug and it cannot deliver enough current for everything at once. Rather than wiring another mains socket next to it (which will be a PITA), is anything else I can invest in which will help? Would a better quality mains extension/cable improve things?

Cheers,
    Dawson

daws0n, Sep 8, 2008
  2. daws0n

The Devil IHTFP

Would a better quality mains extension/cable improve things?

Define "better".

The Devil, Sep 8, 2008
  3. daws0n

Neil

Has the circuit breaker tripped or any fusebox fuse ever blown?
    If not then it's unlikely to be a problem with drawing too much current. If an individual items fuse has gone at any point then suspect that component. If neither has happened then try to borrow a "better" block or mains filter /purifier before spending your hard-earned on one.

Neil, Sep 8, 2008
  4. daws0n

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Remember a socket can only draw a maximum of 13 amps, so using Ohm's law thats 3120 watts roughly assuming the voltage is 240v (it will be lower than that but it varies).

You need to ensure all the stuff on that plug dosn't exceed that wattage and it sounds like there is a possibility of it happening, remember that plug would have to exceed that wattage for a much greater time (forgot the formula for that as its 10 years since I studied electronics) before the fuse blows.

If that lot is swithced on all at the same time then there is a slight chance you are overloading it but my setup is exactly the same, I have about 20 plugs all plugged into a 13 amp double socket, although apart from the HIFI and computer its all very low wattage stuff.

None of my fuses have never blown but I would never plug a hoover etc into it, I would plug out the HIFI/PC first.

If you can afford it, and there is spare capacity on the ring main I would get a sparkie in to get an extra spur, or if you're really feeling flush a dedicated circuit, I am pretty sure this would have sonic benefits too although not actually experimented on that for that obvious reasons.

At the end of the day the ring main is protected by a 30 or 32 amp breaker in most cases, and the plug socket is rated at 13amps, it is possible to exceed that and no fuse will blow, so extra sockets are needed long term.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
    amazingtrade, Sep 9, 2008
  5. daws0n

daws0n

Thanks for the advice, Before I try anything else I think I will fit another mains socket and try running the amp/dac off a different extension.

With regards to interferance etc... I resetup my kit on Saturday and it's still a noodlefest, there are a few sets of cat5 cable on underneath the mains cables coming from the extension and also speaker cable on top of that. Could that cause interferance?

daws0n, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question