S&B 102 MkII - is it true it doesn't convert balanced to unbalanced and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anubisgrau, Apr 10, 2007.

1. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

not sure if i got it correctly but it seems that the S&B102Mk2 doesn't convert the signal from unbalanced to balanced (and the other way around). you apparently need to stick to a certain, same type of signal at inputs and outputs, no conversion.

for me this is pretty important failure but i just want to be sure this is correct and why it is like that. as far as i know both MkI and MkIII were able to convert the signal.

anubisgrau, Apr 10, 2007
  2. anubisgrau

Hamilton

Well my Bent NOH TVC uses S&B transformers and definitely does convert balanced -> unbalanced and vice versa. (It's doing it right now!) What it won't do is output both balanced and unbalanced at the same time (though it could have been modified to do so at the time it was made). Hope this is some reassurance.

Hamilton, Apr 10, 2007
  3. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

well NOH used to have all the three generations of the S&B trannies - are you sure yours is MkII?

It would be fantastic if this is the case

anubisgrau, Apr 10, 2007
  4. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

john chapmen (bent):

"MK II does not work converting rca to xlr or xlr to rca. If you use RCA in / rca out OR xlr in / xlr out either one works very well..."

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

anubisgrau, Apr 10, 2007
  5. anubisgrau

Tenson Moderator

Sounds dodgy to me, any transformer should be able to do this. Ask Jonathan at S&B if you want a correct answer.

01424 439315

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  6. anubisgrau

anubisgrau

John Chapmen corrected himself - of course they all convert, it's just that the Mk2 doesn't do it well at all, the Mk1 so-so and it's only the Mk3 that excells in this. Mistery solved.

anubisgrau, Apr 11, 2007
  7. anubisgrau

Hamilton

...and mine is Mark III... so phew! Surprised to hear the earlier models might encounter problems in this area.

Hamilton, Apr 16, 2007
Ask a Question