S.u.h.t.l.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Apr 30, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

Hear is the first review I've read, on the "worlds best speakers"....

I heard these at Heathrow and thought they looked ugly and sounded worse ....but those hotel rooms......

TnT have just done this review
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/suhtl_e.html

Its quite interesting as I had built a set of V capels design many years ago and found them pretty good....at the time. So I offered my assistance to the SUHTL team to help sort out the sonics having "been there and done that", but never recieved a reply ......still there loss not mine !

You just can't help some people !

zanash, Apr 30, 2006
  2. zanash

indolent

I have heard these speakers twice at hammersmith and then at Bristol this february.

I have to say they are possibly the worst things I heard both times and I would even go so far as to insult them a bit and say some of the Ipod speaker setups had better balance and sound than them.

You just had to walk into the the dynaudio room and hear the tiny focus 110s to better the sound in every way for less than 1/2 the money.

indolent, Apr 30, 2006
  3. zanash

zanash

spot on !

zanash, Apr 30, 2006
  4. zanash

KUB3 ciao

S. H. I. T. E

KUB3, Apr 30, 2006
  5. zanash

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Looks are always a matter of taste, I did not particulary feel offended by the looks. Now the sound was a matter entierly different. I did not think a speaker existed that would make the Bose Acoustimass sound good in comparison.

Correctly identified, the "patented" S.U.T.H.L. is in fact a commercial ripoff of a design that in fact belongs to Mr. Kapel and is only free of licence for personal use. And you are equally correct in considering that Resolutions implementation is not particulary ideal, because they selected a driver inapropriate for use in a domestic speaker as it was designed to be used in cars with a HUGE amount of cabin gain boosting up the low frequencies.

Well, some people....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 30, 2006
  6. zanash

zanash

Again spot on ......

zanash, Apr 30, 2006
  7. zanash

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

What I find interesting and majorly telling is that a speaker that sounds unacceptable on it's own becomes really good when correctly equalised, as evidenced by these quotes from the review.

"in case you are wondering how the S.U.H.T.L.'s sound without the DEQ2496, let me tell you that they are nothing special, sounding light on bass and (for my taste) having too much top end. It's not a loudspeaker that I would want to listen to!"

To:

"One of the hardest tasks for any loudspeaker is the accurate reproduction of the a piano. To their credit, the S.U.H.T.L.'s portrayed pianos very well."

in the turn of a hand, or rather the jacking in and adjustment of a cheap Pro-Audio Digital EQ.

Well, almost, anyway.

Ciao T

3DSonics, May 1, 2006
  8. zanash

Tenson Moderator

I don't think they can be described as 'really good' from the review. He did make the comment about the similarly priced MA GR60's being 'clearly superior' and that the SUHTL should be aimed at a lower market.

At the show, I found the DEQ made the speakers WAY too bright, but the bass lift did help.

Tenson, May 1, 2006
  9. zanash

RobHolt Moderator

I wonder what the sales of these things are like.

RobHolt, May 1, 2006
  10. zanash

mosfet

3D wrote:
    FYI it's actually a Mr V. Capel. The loudspeaker design being the Kapellmeisters. First appeared in the July 1987 edition of Electronics Today International and subsequently reprinted in a Babani publication, An Introduction to Loudspeakers and Enclosure Design. ISBN 0-85934-201-8.

The original design specified an Altai 8553DU driver, an 8 x 5 inch full range elliptical.

mosfet, May 2, 2006
Ask a Question