sa-s1 electrostatic speakers - compo 1 - scala???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by triswoody, Oct 28, 2009.

1. triswoody

triswoody

I have what I think is a fairly rare sony hifi system with active hybrid electrostatic speakers with motional feedback woofers; cant find much info relating to it and wondered if anyone on the forum might be familier with its performance and history? I would also be interested to know what it would have cost new?

stereo preamplifier tae-s1
    active speaker system sa-s1
    cassette deck tc-s1
    compact disc player cdp-s1
    tuner st-s1

Any info would be much appreciated as I am a newby to the whole audio thing:)

triswoody, Oct 28, 2009
  2. triswoody

scoobs

You have a special pair of speakers there: obscure, innovative and something of a hidden gem. I have a pair too. I have shed the Scala components and use the actives with a tube phono pre-amp. The motional feedback woofer is Philips technology from the 70's and is indeed very rare and enjoys a cult following in Scandanavia.

The electrostatic tweeter portrays sparkle and ambience like no other speaker I have heard, plucked guitar strings are eerily 'present' and the woofer is potent indeed with stunning rendering and articulation of bass notes and chords.

The Scala1 system that you have was £900 when released in 1994. Three quarters of the cost reflected the speakers (apparently) I have previously had both scala1 and 2 systems, but having finally tracked down a set of sa-s1, I wont be selling them again.

I would definately recommend replacing the stock figure 8 mains cables, and also the signal interconnects, your sa-s1's are worthy candidates and capable of so much more. Also the speaker (being active) needs decent support and isolation, the open underside is slightly awkward to work with, so I use two 8x12" slate roof tiles with auralex mopads in-between, this isolates the speakers nicely and gives a flat surface to interface with the speaker stand.

scoobs, Nov 6, 2009
Ask a Question