Santana - Shaman

Discussion in 'General Music' started by I-S, Jun 28, 2003.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I recently acquired Santana's latest CD, Shaman, and have now listened to it enough times to make a judgement.

There are some good tracks on it. Adouma, Nothing At All, Why Don't You & I, Amore (sexo) are all good tracks.

Adouma is very much Santana, whilst the other tracks mentioned (like with much of Supernatural), have collaborations bringing new sounds.

However, one or two tracks are rather too poppish, in particular The Game of Love with Michelle Branch, but also You Are My Kind, with Seal.

Overall, not as good as Supernatural in my opinion, but some of the standout tracks are up there. If you were to distill the best of Shaman and the best of Supernatural (Smooth, Do you Like the Way, Put your lights on, The Calling, Maria maria, Wishing it was) onto a single CD/LP/format of choice, you'd have an absolute killer album.

Definately worth a punt if you liked Supernatural. If you're new to Santana, then Supernatural is a better place to begin.

I-S, Jun 28, 2003
  2. I-S

jshack

Couldn't agree more Isaac,

Supernatural is far better.

But if you like this, try out Moonflower - a live album. Apart from the bastard drum solo, it is a fantastic view of Santana's early classics. Europa, Black Magic Woman, Let the Children Play...., She's not there...

wow.

jshack, Jun 28, 2003
  3. I-S

robs

Agree with jshack here - if you're after a taste of Santana, Moonflower can't be beaten..even though it's few years old now..(1977!!!)

robs, Jul 3, 2003
Ask a Question