sats and sub

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by firestorm, Oct 25, 2005.

1. firestorm

firestorm

Ok, I'm after a good sat and sub speaker setup. Needs to be reasonable for 2 channel audio. My av needs are modest. Don't want to spend £500 each on Spendor SR5 (they're 1000USD per pair once shipped to the USA). Amp wise I'll stick with my NAP110 and NAC62 for the sats. May be go valve later. Sub will be self-powered or powered by a ss amp. I'll sell my Dyn 52 to partially fund the newer kit.

I have a pair of jr149 which I may try as sats. What do people do with splitting the signal ? The sats will work a lot better if they don't have to contend with <120Hz. I know theres a passive and active option.

Another option is to go for dedicated sats, designed for the job. I could conceivably go for B&W M1,as used in the MT10,20,30 series, but not use their subs and build my own sealed push pull unit.

Thanks

firestorm, Oct 25, 2005
  2. firestorm

Mr_Sukebe

I've got to ask, what are you trying to achieve, and why do you think you need a sub/sat system?

Have to say that I've only heard on sub/sat combo that I thought sounded well integrated and cohesive. IMO full range speakers are a much better bet (at least for music).

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 25, 2005
  3. firestorm

firestorm

The reasons are :

1) my Dynaudio 52 sound very poor backed up against the wall on shelves 2m high, why are they there ? I have a year old son, he is exploring, touching, prodding, pulling over, down and dribbling over things. I don't want 20Kg speakers or anything else to fall on him.

2) I do have a pair of JR149 which sound ok, which may sound better with a sub

3) I'm after exactly what most people on the forum are trying to achieve, realistic and enjoyable reproduction of music. I listen to many types of music. If it can double in av duty as well at a later date, then even better. The priority is 2 channel music.

4) The other alternative is a really big pair of big, floorstanding speakers, may be horns ;-)

Cheers

firestorm, Oct 25, 2005
  4. firestorm

joel Shaman of Signals

joel, Oct 25, 2005
  5. firestorm

Garmt

Velodyne, preferably Digital Drive series. Expensive, but worth it.

Garmt, Oct 25, 2005
  6. firestorm

maddog 2

Is is not possible to wall mount the 52s with some space behind them.

I use 52s with a REL Strata 3 sub and it works very well IMO. Going to tiny speakers must compromise the sound surely, unless the room is very small.

I've got a small baby at the moment but when she starts to walk in about six months I'm going to wall mount the 52s for safety (of baby and speakers!).

If you can't find suitable wall mounts then a local metalworker should be able to weld something up for you that'll do the job.

maddog 2, Oct 26, 2005
  7. firestorm

firestorm

bluesky, is a possibilty, need to find out if I can hear them set on walls

wall mounting the 52s? I find they need a minimum of 500-650mm space behind them, otherwise they sound awful. I think you'll need a lot of iron to support 15Kg (ish) of speaker that sort of distance from a wall - it'll probably end up looking like a building site and very ungainly. I'm sure it can be made to work, but it'll never get the WAF required.

I could conceivably use a pair of small sealed boxes close to the wall, which would hide the angle iron needed to hold it up. Perhaps the size similar to Wharfdale Diamonds, but without the ports and better transparency in the midrange. I haven't heard the recent av type satellites like the B&W M1 and equivalent Tannoy, but looks and size wise, they fit the bill.

Cheers

firestorm, Oct 26, 2005
  8. firestorm

maddog 2

Dynaudio do a wall-mountable speaker.

But you're right, I suspect a front ported speaker would be the best bet. I use a pair of Mission M70s in the bedroom which run quite close to the back wall but still sound pretty good.

maddog 2, Oct 27, 2005
  9. firestorm

Garmt

Why not NAIM's own sub/sat system? Will suit your NAIM amps.

Garmt, Oct 27, 2005
  10. firestorm

ditton happy old soul

as muddled as most of us, esp if you add WAF/looks, altho "priority is 2 channel music" and "trying to achieve realistic and enjoyable reproduction of music" are clear enough, allowing that there may be conflict between "realistic and enjoyable reproduction".

IMHO, the better forum for knowledge on sat/subs is
    http://www.avtalk.co.uk/
    where the balance of interest is in AV - tho music matters too. Have a look & post there also for different take.

I had standmounts and was investigating sub as 'foundation', and have now moved to floorstanders. But tho I've reached a destination (way-station) for front end, I have long way to go on speaker-journey.

ditton, Oct 27, 2005
  11. firestorm

Tenson Moderator

I was also going to recommend the BlueSky system but it is more than £500. Damn good though.

Tenson, Oct 27, 2005
  12. firestorm

firestorm

I've checked out the avtalk forum, looks ok, posted the Q, but no replies.

a guy on pf suggested looking at Ted Jordan drivers. I must say the JX53 and JX92S do have possibilties, this had lead to searching out other 2-4" drivers, by Tangband and Hi Vi. The idea of minimal enclosure and no crossover ticks the right boxes. Of course I don't know how they sound ....

firestorm, Oct 29, 2005
Ask a Question