Save ZG!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 23, 2008.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Can't help noticing that this place is but a shadow of the old ZG.

Very few daily posts and when I spot a new topic in the audio room I feel like cracking open a bottle - it's that rare!

So, what's gone/going wrong and what ideas do folk have to fix it?

Does ZG need a focus, an ethos which would attract new blood and bring back some of the lost posters?

It seems to be drifting into oblivion and I think that is very sad.

RobHolt, Jun 23, 2008
  2. RobHolt

hifi addict

Perhaps a good old cable fight might cheer things up a bit?

What do you think of the New Synergistic Research Tesla range of cable with the active shielding? Nothing better IMHO well perhaps Old Grahams Silver Arrow cables.

hifi addict, Jun 23, 2008
  3. RobHolt

Mr.C

I think it's just the way it goes Rob. Things peak and then decline. Change is always happening but seldom in the way we would like it. See you in the next forum.

Mr.C, Jun 23, 2008
  4. RobHolt

DavidF

Agreed very much Rob.

I keep looking in but nothings often new.

If the recession biting and no one is investing in new kit?

"It seems to be drifting into oblivion and I think that is very sad."

agree totally

DavidF, Jun 23, 2008
  5. RobHolt

cooky1257

Bring back Merlin:D

cooky1257, Jun 23, 2008
  6. RobHolt

DavidF

no.

DavidF, Jun 24, 2008
  7. RobHolt

robM

Hopefully more folks are listening to music than spending all of there time 'posting' about equipment!
    What has always surprised me is where ZG'ers found the time to listen to music....

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

robM, Jun 24, 2008
  8. RobHolt

Arrowhead

Not so much of the 'Old'! :D:D

Graham.

Arrowhead, Jun 24, 2008
  9. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I'm also saddened by the fact that ZG is just a shadow of the old place. I personally don't bother that much with HiFi any more. ZG has been very good for me to get in contact with like minded people. The thing I miss most is the lack of activity in the Music section, which is what it's really all about IMO.

On the down side it's probably cost me a fortune :grrr:.

So, any ideas guys on turning this place around?

Dev, Jun 24, 2008
  10. RobHolt

cooky1257

How about;
    1. A section dedicated to vintage gear with speaker, reciever/amp, TT subsections
    2.In car audio(ice ice baby!)
    3.A section dedicated to old/archive/out of print mags like practical hifi, scans of 'classic' articles, reviews.(One I'd love to read again is the JBLl200 review oh and the famous linn/supex900 one...)
    Cooky

cooky1257, Jun 24, 2008
  11. RobHolt

zanash

stop winging and do something about it .....

Start up threads on new topics yourselves......

Why wait for someone else to do it ?

Its in the members own hands ...if you don't use it you will lose it .

zanash, Jun 24, 2008
  12. RobHolt

D Louth 77

Hi RobHolt I joined a week or so ago and i must say i am surprised by your comment . However not being in a forum before i don't have any way of judging what is normal in the way of activity.
    In saying that ,having added to some threads recently (with no additions in a few days) left me wondering if it was just me ( people don't think i have anything of value to add,etc). I had hoped for a bit more going on . Now that Robholt mentions it the activity levels do seem to be low .

Adding new posts is something we can do ,something i haven't done so far as i wanted to ease my way into this forum , remember i am new to this . The future is in our hands i would have said so lets get on with it .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jun 24, 2008
  13. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

Agreed.
    This place was a lot busier a few years ago. Lots of interesting and helpful threads as well as arguments about cables, isolations and politics.
    I like the idea of a section for vintage kit, but not sure of in car audio (shudders:)).

Dev, Jun 24, 2008
  14. RobHolt

unclepuncle

Hard to say exactly what went wrong but I certainly miss the old days (2-3 years ago I guess) when this place was an essential visit.
    All the life and soul has gone out of the place and many of the best informed and more controversial posters have all but dissapeared.
    Still life goes on!!!

unclepuncle, Jun 24, 2008
  15. RobHolt

cooky1257

But no one's coming to read the threads Zanash and frankly if that is the level of your contribution no wonder:rolleyes:-no one was winging.

cooky1257, Jun 24, 2008
  16. RobHolt

Listener666

I like it here!

I like it here!:)

No bullshit...well not much:D.......and I think people give pretty logical reasons most of the time. Some really clued up peeps which helps me make decisions..(i am convinced some of the other forums ...especially the u.s. , have people talking and giving opinions about kit they have never listened to or even seen!).

Maybe people don't like been told some facts.............Tenson and a couple of others gave me opinions on my intended use of the DEQX unit. It wasn't what I wanted to hear ..but made me think....and on reflection I think they were right (I just haven't got time for what I wanted to do with it)..........MAYBE some peeps don't want to here the truth about certain HIFI.

I am starting to use more and more pro audio/PA type of kit since looking at this forum..........I have Finally realised that some hifi stuff is just bullshit and hype (with the price tag to match). I have finally let my ears decide. I am not sure how I could listen to sets by people like 4Hero think ...........wow the quality is great yet dismiss all of the gear they had used as crap!!!!!.....I dont now.:cool:

Well....off to Glasgow Jazz festival on Sat...see how it should sound.....may:Dbe

Listener666, Jun 24, 2008
  17. RobHolt

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

My interest in HiFi has waned over the years - I've got a system within my price range that I'm perfectly happy with, and I've no plans to upgrade it in the foreseeable future. I'm just making the most of it and enjoying my music!

I'm sure others are in the same boat and find they contribute less as a result?

From an admin point of view, the site still gets as many visitors/hits as it always has over the last few years, but with noticeably less new threads and posts. Seems to just be a lot more people reading than posting, which unfortunately doesn't encourage much activity!

Telkman, Jun 24, 2008
  18. RobHolt

Rocker

Yeah, I think this post sums up my attitude to hi-fi. Interest in systems tend to wax and wane, my love of music remains constant. I know that sounds cliched but if it does it does. Thankfully I now have kit that goes a long way to satisfying any upgrade lust. I find it hard to imagine how/where any improvement can be made. My opinion of course and not absolutely factually the case but as long as it stays working, my kit will stay where it is.

Regarding posting to this or any other website, it depends on whether I think my contribution is of any help. Sometimes a blunt/direct comment is needed to help/prevent the questioner from getting into an upgrade whirlpool type situation. Knowledgeable friends are one thing but a knowledgeable dealer is, IMHO, worth his weight in gold. My policy is and has been to identify the sound or type of sound you want, explain it to a dealer and have him suggest a system that gives that sound. Even if the process takes a few years to achieve, you are moving towards a specific goal. The goal is to play the music you like and have it sound as you like. Not as I like or anyone else for that matter, but you.

My cents worth. FWIIW.

Rocker, Jun 24, 2008
  19. RobHolt

D Louth 77

Hi Guys
    I get the impression from whats being said that ,things are a bit dead and that perhaps this was a great party a few years ago. Does anyone know what happened to the great past posters ?Have they gone to other Forums ?Or just lost interest or run out of things to say?

Do you guys use the same names on other forums or not? I joined Pink fish at the same time i did zero gain but i have yet to post on it or get involved in any threads . I quite like the balance of what i have read here on ZG.

I get the feeling that a lot of people have got fed up with the whole HI-FI thing ,and lets be honest there is a lot of crap and misinformation floating around in the press , on-line and in the way a lot of people seem to just buy what certain mags say without trying it or listening to it at home(vital). I meet people who say that they have given up and i ask them why? and a lot just seem to have gone about it the wrong way and then blame everyone but themselves. Many are just to lazy to put the time and effort into doing it right. It depresses me the amount of money and time that gets wasted by a scatter gun approach to this hobby and how many 5 star products end up being dumped because they bought them on the strength of some ill-informed,nebulous,not accountable,non-verifiable,lot of crap review. I suppose its not allowed to say which 5 star review mag has caused so much damage(we all know who it is). People buy it thinking its written by experts,but how can it be when no one knows who the reviewers are or how they were done. All you get is a few lines of writing and lots of pictures .Reviews are useful but only when you can know all the facts.

I don't know about the rest of you but my system is an ends to a means ,to enjoy the music i like . Yes i have played around with a
    lot of kit and i have a very good dealer who allows me to do that ,with no pressure and i have made the odd mistake along the way but that has only happened when i thought i knew better and didn't invest the right amount of time in listening .

Sorry about going of topic but modern approaches to life frustrate me no end and especially lazy ,i can't think for myself you make the decision for me people. By the way i am not for a moment saying that anyone here is such a person .

Maybe we all need to be,is bold ,and just post that thought or comment and see what happens.Life is to short as i found out yesterday(was reminded) when a good audio friends daughter
    died in a car crash. She was only 18 and loved music and was a good bass player and musician .She enjoyed his system and still like to do downloads etc but for her it was all about the music .You will be missed Shelly God bless .

We need to find away of getting the kids back into this hobby and interested ,any ideas? After all they are the future of audio and forums like this .

Regards D louth

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
    D Louth 77, Jun 24, 2008
  20. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

Some of the posters that I know personally have just lost interest in forums, or are too busy or have nothing new to say. One or 2 were banned.

Dev, Jun 24, 2008
Ask a Question