Save ZG!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 23, 2008.

1. RobHolt

lordsummit moderate mod

LOL

Seriously it sounds good.....

lordsummit, Jun 27, 2008
  2. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

Do we really need a separate room for this? Please free to start new thread(s) on this topic. Mark can always set up a room and move the threads later.

Dev, Jun 27, 2008
  3. RobHolt

kmac

Can't imagine that lack of rooms is causing the issue as if there was a critical mass of sufficiently enthusiastic people, the place would hot up in spite of any technical or other impediments.

ZG has lost its mojo......changing the colour of the backgorund and adding a few new rooms is like trying to cure cancer with a band aid and an asprin. Major surgery and chemo required. Deep soul searching on everyones part is called for.

Why are we here, what do we want, what will really make us happy....

We could try the following:

1) have some bake-offs.... not heard of these for a while, maybe I'm just excluded now because of my behaviour at past ones

2) Ressurect the drinks meet

3) add ability to post samples or links to samples of music we like

4) add gig information

5) meet up at hifi shows

6) inlcude pictures of beautiful people

Anyway, I have a soft spot for ZG as it was the first broad based Hifi forum I joined (first was Cyrus Unofficial)

On the other hand, maybe its no use flogging a dead horse?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
    kmac, Jun 27, 2008
  4. RobHolt

D Louth 77

Hi kmac

I don't think that zg is a dead horse yet,i noticed a lot more activity in the past day or so . New posts and threads so not dead yet . Okay it may be that it isn't as hot as it was but as an earlier poster said things go through cycles . This could just be a blip and will improve .

For new guys like me it's hard for us to judge ,but for guys based on the main land(i am not)some of your ideas are with merit. That is assuming people want to meet in person at shows etc. More music based activity may persuade more people to get involved but there are more than likely forums for that and this is an audio one mostly.

I was surprized to see this topic as until it was mentioned i did not think there was a problem. Everyone i spoke to said Zero Gain was a good place to go and join,so i did.

The future is in our hands so lets not talk ourselves into a crisis.CRISIS WHAT CRISIS?

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jun 27, 2008
  5. RobHolt

Dick Bowman

Writing as an occasional poster - I think quality can sometimes be more valuable than quantity. Having lots more people saying the same things lots more times would (for me at least) make this forum drop off my visiting list.

Dick Bowman, Jun 27, 2008
  6. RobHolt

anon_bb Honey Badger

The truth is people get fired up about hifi when they have money to spend and want to buy new stuff. When they dont have it they put it on the back burner and stay off the forums - why get worked up about kit if you cant buy it. Plus the hobby is in a longer term decline due to changes in the market base and people generally being fed up with the retail ripoff and contempt with which they are treated by many ignorant and greedy dealers. I think most of the hifi forums are quieter these days - too little too late was done about the trouble makers. The exception is hifiwigwam which seems to get more traffic - and didnt allow the well known trouble makers on right from the beginning. Even though it is quieter these days, Pink Fish has improved massively after it culled the yobs.

anon_bb, Jun 27, 2008
  7. RobHolt

mr cat Member of the month

I think we need tpo focus on the music more too - afterall that's what this lark's all about, isn't it..?

mr cat, Jun 27, 2008
  8. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a lot more active threads and posts this week?

If so, this is great and it shows that perhaps a bit of stimulus and a few new ideas for discussion is having the desired effect.

RobHolt, Jun 27, 2008
  9. RobHolt

cooky1257

kerrrrrect Bobby lad!

cooky1257, Jun 27, 2008
  10. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Nick, that's very down-beat for you.
    You sound like old Dickie Doo-dar over on Pink :)

I think places like ZG and pfm will be less effected by general industry decline if the make some subtle changes as outlined earlier, mainly by Joel.
    More focus on good vintage and DIY stuff makes what happens in the big bad world largely irrelevant. The Hi-Fi Choice forum and manufacturer tied boards such as Naim can worry about that.

RobHolt, Jun 27, 2008
  11. RobHolt

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I don't think you realise what a laughing stock ZG became on most other Audio forums. Even some of the more obsure ones would laugh at the cable threads and general lack of respect for others that was shown here. I've even seen it in this thread in post 15.

Unless peoples attitudes to one anothers opions' change then this place will die. No amount of new area's with help paper over the cracks.

LiloLee, Jun 27, 2008
  12. RobHolt

cooky1257

Are you for real? Surely you mean the original post telling people to stop winging?:(Look at post 10 then 11.
    The thread is a good one with some very worthwhile contributions that one not withstanding imho

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
    cooky1257, Jun 27, 2008
  13. RobHolt

There was nothing wrong with post 10. I suspect because it directly followed yours you felt it was directed at you, whilst I interpreted it as a general comment to all of us.

And cooky1257, what do you mean by "Are you for real?" Do you think I am imaginary?

LiloLee, Jun 27, 2008
  14. RobHolt

cooky1257

1.Wanting to rescue the forum isn't whinging. I didn't think post 11 was directed at me I just thought it unhelpful and against the spirit of the thread ie posts in a similar vein to 10..
    2. Don't pretend you're not aware of the phrase "are you for real?" It means are you kidding?, are you having a laugh?, are you serious?
    This is OT anyway.....back to the problem at hand I say.

cooky1257, Jun 27, 2008
  15. RobHolt

<quote>This is OT anyway.....back to the problem at hand I say.</quote>

No you are indicative of what is wrong here. No room for misunderstanding or the need to feel that you have to explain anything 'My way or the Highway' I believe is the saying.

How do you know my first language is English and that I understand every slang phrase that is used. Incredibly presumtious of you. My name is Lee and I could just as easily be a Chinese person living in England.

I have seen too many disagreements here just because too many of you want to beat the chest and play the Alpha male.

I think it a real shame. To think that I held probably the first bake off back in the HFC days. Was about the 4th most poster in GrooveHandle. And now for about the past year most of the time it has been like watching schoolboys fight for territory, with little gangs of you ganging up on others who don't agree with or dislike because they said something against you.

Am I spouting Brotherly Love. Damn right I am. There is nothing wrong with not agreeing, but so often it gets personal very quickly, when in reality we are all here for one thing, to discuss HiFi and Music in a nice little community.

Some of things I have seen said here, if they were said face to face would probably end in a fight. The one rule that you should always follow when posting is "Would I say this in person?" if the answer isn't an instant "Yes" then don't post.

And as far as I am concerned if you followed that then this forum might get back on track.

LiloLee, Jun 27, 2008
  16. RobHolt

DavidF

Really?? ;)

Its possible I was wound up up the wrong way to start with a bit of attitude....but no without knowing exactly the circumstances involved I don't think any one can really predict their reaction to a certain scenario.

:D

I'm more than happy to admit they those who are purely on an ego trip to place themselvs over others annoy me intensely.

For me the forum is a place where ideas can be exchanged and discussed....not swept away with claims of reams of scientific evidence to the contrary....claims that never quite come to fruition (surprise , surprise)

DavidF, Jun 27, 2008
  17. RobHolt

cooky1257

The same could be said of you-you've made an argument out of thin air. English is the language of this forum as far as I'm aware and you seem to have a perfectly good command of it so what are you beefing about?
    No room for misunderstanding? Well I agree with you, you seem determined to misunderstand me.
    Look on the bright side if english isn't your first language you learned something today.
    Some forumites would cause a fight in an empty room, some are an argument waiting to happen, some are social cripples, some just too sensitive for their own good, some are cranks seeing slights and insults where none exist, some are trolls.
    Dare I say it, you appear to be whinging.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
    cooky1257, Jun 27, 2008
  18. RobHolt

titian

One of a main reason for a person to stay in a specific community is the feeling to be at home (sweet home).
    This happens when there is a friendly atmosphere which doesn't mean that one must agree with each other. The main base is the respect towards the other which means firstly accepting that the other can see things in another way and secondly trying to understand why there is another point of view.
    Discussions with opposite positions must be there, actually that should be the most interesting part, but the involved persons should be able to retain their ego and their needs to exercise power on other people.

Regularly meetings (bakeoffs, meetings at the shows) help also a lot to keep a community together. Even if someone has no need to update his hifi any more, he would nevertheless be in the forum, after he met a lot of people and have made some good relationships.

titian, Jun 28, 2008
  19. RobHolt

lordsummit moderate mod

cooky I've got to say you're not offering much at the minute. Lee on the other hand has been around for years.
    You don't seem to understand that the issue the mod team has had on this forum is a lack of pleasantness, exactly as Lee has described. That post is symptomatic of that.
    I'm glad Lee, Rob, Joel and others are making helpful, constructive suggestions. Their contributions over the 10 years or so I've known them online have been invaluable to many. As Titian says we need to get back to the friendly forum we used to be. Stop the bickering, and certainly lose the alpha male persona's that some people adopt.

lordsummit, Jun 28, 2008
  20. RobHolt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Anyone know where ZG's Bach contingent have got to, i.e. Tones, RdS etc? The classical room here used to be superb, a place I learnt a great deal, it would be nice to reboot it. There has been a bit of access this year, and some interesting stuff for sure, but pretty slow moving compared to a few years back plus a few familiar names seem missing.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 28, 2008
Ask a Question