Scalford Hall thread Mk2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Aug 24, 2010.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

New thread as the old one wouldn't have much left had it been pruned.

Keep it positive please. Wigwam are organising it and responsible for the business model so it would be good to keep the thread focused on who's going, what do you or don't you want to see, how it compares to other shows etc.

RobHolt, Aug 24, 2010
  2. RobHolt

dudywoxer Regaholic

24 rooms listed at the mo, and some interesting stuff to listen through.
    Modified Quads and a few interesting turntables among them.
    What I would most like to see.. some younger faces.,

dudywoxer, Aug 24, 2010
  3. RobHolt

theo

I spoke to the kids (all 20+) of some of my friends about this: they thought that, a) why on earth would I want to move 300kg of equipment and set it up in a hotel, b) what do you think people get out of it? The last one was key: they simply couldn't see why listening to other people's systems could be seen as something worthwhile.

In the main, they have B&W Zeppelin-type docking systems, and they're happy with them when they're listening at home. They think that the huge amount of boxes I have to produce music is unecessary; they all say it sounds fabulous, but they cannot imagine wanting what they regard as room clutter.

I hope I'm not away next year so I can go, but I'm under no illusions as to why we will never attract a younger audience.

theo, Aug 24, 2010
  4. RobHolt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

do you have massive speakers?

mine are huge and will grow when I move to a bigger place one day.

I get comments like....''woah!! they are huuuuge!!!'' and ''wow, how loud do they go"?... and my favourite recent one... "can they blow a womans clothes off if you turn them up"?

bottleneck, Aug 25, 2010
  5. RobHolt

nando nando

the kind of music listen to and play it on should give you the answer as to why it does not atrack them to hi-shows , their ignorance of knowledg ponders as to what you said about big boxes, the most classic questio asked by them who look at an amp is" how many watts is it" when ,for example 2x 50watts, they laugh and then comes the answer my technics is 360 watts it says so in the rear, not knowing the difference between power consumed from mains 0r output power,

nando, Aug 25, 2010
  6. RobHolt

theo

I don't think they're overbearing. Neat Ultimatum MF7s; 1200mm high, but smallish footprint. Room size is 5.5M x 4.8M, but because they're well away from the wall, you sorta notice them (the wife certainly does).

The others are Isobariks, which are quite dominant in black, but in a much larger space (9M x 5.5M attic room), and against the wall, they don't feel huge. However, the comments are always, "Blimey, they're huge". At least, I think they're talking about the speakers...

theo, Aug 25, 2010
  7. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

I am not very good at taking a hint!!

Richard Dunn, Aug 25, 2010
  8. RobHolt

lindsayt

My 5 year old daughter has been asking me if she can come to the North London Halloween and Scalford bake-offs.

She prefers music with singing. One of her favourites is a Bart Simpson 12" single. She likes dancing and using the furniture as a trampoline when I play upbeat music.

Do you think I should bring her?

lindsayt, Aug 26, 2010
  9. RobHolt

theo

Your daughter is an ideal candidate to test system mettle in all rooms - using that very same 12" single, she should do the furniture dance in every room. The more she trashes, the better the system.

That WOULD be fun...

theo, Aug 26, 2010
  10. RobHolt

dudywoxer Regaholic

any one with a suspended deck, or a Linn with trampoline is in for some fun
    ________
    Nexium side effects

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Aug 26, 2010
  11. RobHolt

Papa Lazarou

I'm hoping for a ground floor room. :D