Scandal in audio Asylum...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Apr 28, 2004.

1. lowrider

lowrider Live music is surround

lowrider, Apr 28, 2004
  2. lowrider

JohnMak

Probably the same with most other cable and interconnect manufacturers also. It's impossible to believe that all these little companies producing outrageously expensive cables and intercocnnects have all come up with unique designs for their cables and built factories to produce the cable/interconnect and sheathing. What a sccam!

Reminds me of doing a Public Health Component of my degree when younger.
    We all had to visit a large poultry factory where about 80,000 chickens per day were slaughtered. These chickens all came from the same farms and went through the same slaughter lines.

When the daily quota for "Birds Eye" brand was reached, the computer-controlled machines switched the wrapping to "Golden Farm" brand without even stopping the production line. When that brand reached it's quota for the day, the wrapping changed instantly to "Tip Top" brand.

All the same damned chickens .... only the wrapping changed but each of these different companies were spending a fortune on TV and magazine ads promoting the uniqueness and special qualities of their chickens. Whole companies running on lies and B***sh*t, just like cable and interconnect companies. Same chickens - different wrapper.

JohnMak, Apr 28, 2004
  3. lowrider

midlifecrisis Firm member

...but the different wrapper would give a different dielectric effect thereby changing the sound quality of the chickens ...;)

midlifecrisis, Apr 28, 2004
  4. lowrider

merlin

5. lowrider

wolfgang

:rds2: Would this 'new' discovery end the eternal Great Cable Debate then?

wolfgang, Apr 28, 2004
  6. lowrider

Sorry Merlin, didnt notice that thread... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Apr 28, 2004
  7. lowrider

Does this "new" discovery mean Eupen sound the same as standard wire... :confused:

lowrider, Apr 28, 2004
  8. lowrider

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I've discovered a brand of cable that seems to put most hifi brands to shame... Though it is likely they manufacture cable for many others.
    I bought an 1150w Makita demolition hammer t'other day (proper boys toys) - which has a power cable about twice as thick as my expensive Lumley power cords. And the whole thing, including a set of SDS+ and HSS bits, plus a set of chisels was £300!
    The brand was PATELEC
    By the way, using the Lumley/Black Rhodium etc cable on my kettle didn't make it boil any faster than with the standard lead ;)

leonard smalls, Apr 28, 2004
  9. lowrider

michaelab desafinado

The thing about Eupen is that, to my knowledge, they don't make any "audiophile" power cables. They just make screened power cables in bulk mainly for use by industries such as hospitals etc (aswell as many other cables).

AudUsa and, by the looks of it, JPS Labs, have just taken that standard Eupen cable and wrapped it up as an audiophile power cable which is fair enough. It's no different from many other cable brands who by Belden or other cables, put them in a nice wrapper and sell them as their own amazing audiophile cable. At least Audusa are honest about what they are doing and aren't charging stupid prices for it :)

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  10. lowrider

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I can assure you it doesn't. The difference is plain to hear, not only between Eupen and 'standard' leads but also between the different varieties of Eupen.

technobear, Apr 28, 2004
  11. lowrider

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Apr 28, 2004
  12. lowrider

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Apr 28, 2004
  13. lowrider

I know that well Chris, I bought 3 of them from Michaelab, it was just a shot at Wolfgang's comment... ;)

lowrider, Apr 28, 2004
  14. lowrider

tones compulsive cantater

Aha, but could it not be that you're just Eupenistic?:D

tones, Apr 28, 2004
  15. lowrider

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Whilst we all know this goes on, in so many industries..

(Im reminded of the Philips TV factory in county durham, that also make B&O tv's with the same tubes as the Philips sets)...

Arent we a LITTLE outraged?

Dont we feel it IS a rip off?

The difference as I see it (*if this JPS case is true) is that with say... a Philips tube in a B&O tv... you have stricter quality control and other aspects of design and finish being different with the B&O tv... So much so, that the tube is just a component in the finished article.

With the JPS cable, you have some outer sheathing, and some plugs on the end. Thats it.

Would people agree that the 'cable' part of the cable is the essence of it, that its not a 'part' in the finished whole, and if the story is true, they are not to put too finer point on it... deliberately deceiving people?

bottleneck, Apr 28, 2004
  16. lowrider

zanash

I read this as my thing, though very sad, is cables. I didn't feel so outraged as some of the readers.....

Nearly every [I mean all] cable manufacturer buys in his cable, he has not the equipment or the fascility to make the stuff.
    I'm reminded that I think Sonic link got started with a reel of aerospace grade ptfe silver plated copper wire picked up from an Govm. surplus place [though don't quote me on that].

What I do find that hurts is the mark up on mostly US so called hi end cables, so in that sense I do agree. But they don't call us Rip Off Britain for nothing !

zanash, Apr 28, 2004
  17. lowrider

julian2002 Muper Soderator

b&o tv's cost more than phillips ones for a variety of reasons, the cachet of the name, the design work that goes into them, etc. i would suggest that a similar effect is apparent with cables. also there are the r&d costs to factor in too, i doubt that the eupen cable was the first or only cable that jps tried. of course in purely material costs the price is ludicrous however has anyone actually compared the numbers on the audusa cable to the one on the jps cable to make sure that exactly the same cable is used? i guess eupen may make more than one type of cable with some price differences.
    at the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 28, 2004
  18. lowrider

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, nor is it necessarily expected to.

I like using cars as analogies...

A 1998 BMW 7 Series is in almost every respect a "better" car than a 1998 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph. They share the 5.4 V12 and 5 speed ZF box, but the BMW is physically smaller but with more room inside, the BMW is faster, more fuel efficient, quieter inside, rides more smoothly, handles better and miles cheaper to buy and to run.

But people still bought the Rolls (ok, ok, not many people did. Most bought the V8 Bentley Arnage, but the same comments apply. It's a BMW 4.4 V8 with a turbocharger (until VAG took over and put the Rolls 6.75 V8 back in)).

It's down to Cachet as Julian said. A rolls says "I have arrived. I'm big and important. Out of my way, little man.", whilst the BMW says.... Not a lot in comparison. It's not overt in the same way.

I-S, Apr 28, 2004
  19. lowrider

Lt Cdr Data om

this just confirms what I have known/suspected all along, the consumer is getting robbed left right and centre.

The whole thing damages everyone...if you look at trade prices, you realise how much percent the profit is, then you if you are one of these robbers, have to be robbed by everyone else when you are buying stuff for yourself, it seems if you can't beat them, join them. Its downright criminal to repackage something, and sell it on, then claim its totally different when it isn't.

I would like to see a more transparency in labelling: where made exactly, by whom, packaged, imported, the whole shebang.

This is why a lot of makers are secretive, as they don't want you to know the truth...the truth is that they use ready made solutions by others, take the credit, charge shit loads and rip us off.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 28, 2004
  20. lowrider

lowrider, Apr 28, 2004
Ask a Question