Schallwand speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by melorib, Jun 29, 2006.

1. melorib

melorib Lowrider

The TEAC was my idea, he does PS1 and the 5 watt Trichord power, I had to beg to get him to do the same to my TEAD DVD receiver, and it worked very well...

melorib, Jun 30, 2006
  2. melorib

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jun 30, 2006
  3. melorib

melorib Lowrider

:ffrc:

melorib, Jun 30, 2006
  4. melorib

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, Jun 30, 2006
  5. melorib

melorib Lowrider

They all imitate Sonus Faber's lute shape... :p

melorib, Jun 30, 2006
  6. melorib

JackOTrades

Hi Antonio,

I'd be curious to find out if you have any idea on how your speakers in Riga compare to your Sonus Faber in Cascais. As I know the Sonus Faber sound well it would give me an interesting reference point (and to others too, perhaps).

Cheers!
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 4, 2006
  7. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Room, layout and system are completely different, still I have an idea of the main differences, I will refer to the sound with a 283 euros lightly tweaked TEAC DVD receiver, that I used before the Cayin, as the later doesnt measure up, at least yet... :rolleyes:

The first thing you notice is the absence of ressonances, room, box, whatever, bass/midbass extremely "clean", mid/highs are beautiful, violin, piano, women voices, nicer than the SF, no hint of harshness, I was amazed everytime... Stage was perfect, wide and deep, from the speakers to the rear, large, no instruments wandering depending on frequency played, I am adicted to open box sound, no need for surround speakers, a stereo pair does fill the room... :MILD:

Now the not so good, even though sound is well balanced, you dont feel one end of the range over the other, it does miss the lowest frequencies, I used bass management at 80 hz, now use high-level at 40hz... Also, the sizzle is missing, a pair of Tannoy supertweeters xover at 18 khz complement them nice...

Where the SF in Cascais have the edge is in sheer power, that system sounds very powerful, full bodied sound, I explored this with an equalizer and found out that if I decreased the level around 80 to 100 hz, it would sound more like in Riga, so I assume ressonances have a lot to do with this... :cool:

melorib, Jul 4, 2006
  8. melorib

melorib Lowrider

The BelCanto in Cascais has 360 watts per channel, Riga's TEAC only 30 lower quality watts... And I have 2 REL Strata III in Cascais, against 1 B&W PV1 in Riga... :rolleyes:

melorib, Jul 4, 2006
Ask a Question