SCIDB on the internet radio

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SCIDB, Dec 8, 2003.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I've got my radio career back on track. I have a show on internet radio on Monday 7 pm till 9pm called the Stardust radio show. Tonight we are looking at the world of Funk music. On this show we will have the likes of James Brown, The Meters, Dyke & the Blazers, Funkadelic, Ann Sexton & loads more.

I will be going under my dj name of "The Dean of Disco".

You can catch the fun on Rushradio here

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 8, 2003
  2. SCIDB

voodoo OdD

'fraid the site states that their web streaming is "Not live yet'.

Shame :( .

voodoo, Dec 8, 2003
  3. SCIDB

michaelab desafinado

Since AFAIK Rush Radio is onlu an internet radio station the lack of streaming rather limits its audience :D :(

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2003
  4. SCIDB

Sgt Rock

I so wanted to listen :cry:

How about W-M doing the Rock slot, any one got any other ideas who could do a spot on the station ?

Sgt Rock, Dec 8, 2003
  5. SCIDB

Robbo

Oh no! Smashie and Nicie:MILD:

Lets Rock!

Robbo, Dec 8, 2003
  6. SCIDB

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

As long as it's for chariittyyy mates :D in a humoungus sort of gong winning type way. What about a Kiddies section with dance & hard German speed garage & house music, DJ Flunkmiester in with da spanners :cool:
    Could be a good thing, serious how bout a spot for the various sections of the musical community, even Jazz :D Bob harris voice, 'What another greaaatt tune that was' smooottthhh sax man, swing those pants baby, let me see those slippers glowing.
    Nice one Dean :)

wadia-miester, Dec 8, 2003
  7. SCIDB

michaelab desafinado

Nice new avatar you've got there Robbo...you could say it eclipses your previous one :D

Looking forward to hearing it. Sorry about the thread hijack :shame:

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2003
  8. SCIDB

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Why a "kiddies" section?

You mean as opposed to old git "don't make em like they used to" section?

MO!, Dec 9, 2003
  9. SCIDB

Robbo

Why thank you Michael. Its a bit previous though as I dont actually have it yet!

Robbo, Dec 9, 2003
  10. SCIDB

julian2002 Muper Soderator

robbo,
    stop mooning about and get it already :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 9, 2003
  11. SCIDB

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Can I take the new wave/80s slot??? I could play weird album tracks by the likes of Kate Bush, and ensure that Men Without Hats' Safety Dance gets some well deserved airplay :)

Actually - I'm dead serious - a mate said I should get into radio and I'm sick of my job - I know a lifelong mate who works in the Beeb so I'm considering my options...

domfjbrown, Dec 9, 2003
  12. SCIDB

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Sorry Mo, thats what I thought Radio 1 was for :)

wadia-miester, Dec 9, 2003
  13. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Sorry some of you haven't been able to pick the station up. It has been working other past month & a half. I have had a few listeners. It does seem to be hit & miss.

Hi Dom,

Doing radio is very enjoyable.

I have been involved in radio for a few years. In the early 90's I was part of community radio project called Forge FM. It was set up first as a student based operation but then a more local community based operation.

It started life in at Sheffield University. In those days, there were only a few radio stations & only a few ways to broadcast. One way was to be a pirate, the other way was to do a R.S.L. (Restricted Service Licence) broadcast.

These were broadcast that had a short (28 day) Licence. It allowed you to broadcast on FM. You had to raise the money for the various licences (not cheap), get the broadcasting equipment, build a studio, get a people to do shows, train these people etc, etc.

The first broadcast was in 1992, I joined in 1993. I did my first broadcast also in 1993. In total I did 9 R.S.Ls. & had many shows.

On my time with Forge, I became Tresurer, help the organisation become a charity, helped raise money, helped the setup many broadcasts, helped build studios, had a few sleepless nights, helped trained many people to produce radio shows, been head of music, won a national award, meet many people from the world of music & showbiz & had a good time.

Forge FM folded in 1999 due to a lot people moving on & the lack of new people to do the nitty gritty day to day running of the organisation.

I'm proud to have done it as I have made some very good friends & helped a number of people to get jobs & careers in media & broadcasting. For example, a good mate from Forge is a current roving news reporter on Radio Sheffield. It has helped my Djing career no end.

So Dom, it you do get the chance go for it. I wish I started years ago.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 9, 2003
  14. SCIDB

HenryT

So was I the only forum member here to catch Dean doing his stuff on the radio last night? :confused:

Good work Dean! :) We were treated to a 2 hour musical history lesson of funkadelic soul. Interesting stuff, and Dean as always demonstrating his inimitable musical knowledge.

BTW, IMO doing things like DJing is only ever a hobby or past time outside of work for the majority of us mortals. It takes lot of lucky breaks to be able to scrape together a decent full-time living from it. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2003
    HenryT, Dec 9, 2003
  15. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi HenryT,

Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoy it. Glad you got some reception. The show on Mondays trys to look at many different styles & types of popular music.

As for Djing, I agree that most people do it as a hobby or part time/ semi pro. But I do know a number of people who do it full time but it can lack job security. You are only as good as your last gig. At lot of DJs will not be an full employee of the venue. You will be hired by the venue. If the night is doing well, everyone is happy. If not, the boot will happen. Your income will vary from month to month.

Doing private hire such as weddings, birthdays etc can be very trying. But you can get a fair bit of work from these.

Luck is needed. You do need the breaks & to be in the right place at the right time.

When it's good, it's one of the best feelings ever & a huge laugh. :D :cool: When it's bad it's terrible. :(

Having said that at the top of the tree, you can earn well over £100,000 a year.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 9, 2003
  16. SCIDB

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if you want to learn the basics try the local hospital radio,ok its mostly playing requests but it gives you the opertunity to learn the necasery skills and learn how it all works

themadhippy, Dec 10, 2003
  17. SCIDB

Sgt Rock

Hiya dean,

If you try to view http://www.rushradio.fm/ using firebird and click on listen you get "rush radio is currently off air .... " but it works fine in IE.

You might wnat to let whoever did the web page know.

TTFN,
    Andy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Feb 3, 2004
  18. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I forgot to mention I'm back on Monday 7 to 9.00 pm. We are looking at Ska tonight.

www.rushradio.fm

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 1, 2004
Ask a Question