Scotty Moore - Elvis Dude - Gig Report

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi All,

Quick gig report. Went to see Scotty Moore last night at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham and took my Mum - for a change I was probably the youngest person in there rather than the oldest - I think every old ted in the East Midlands showed up.

He was Elvises Sun/early RCA days guitarist - you know in Heartbreak Hotel - he played THAT guitar break.

It was bloomin marvellous - especially for a really old Dude who recently suffered a stroke - he can still play pretty good, but I suspect not for extended periods of time. Anyways the backing band (the Grundy Pritchard band I believe) were spot on - stand up bass, drums, keyboard, electric and acoustic guitar. They exclusively did the pre army rock and roll/rockabilly stuff with a few ballads. The Rescue Rooms is a small crowded venue and you could cut the atmosphere.

And the guy who stood in for the King? Absolutely brilliant. He wasn't an Elvis impersonator in the sense that he didn't pretend to be Elvis, however the voice was fantastic - shut your eyes and youl'd have been spooked.

My Mum cried (might have been the G&Ts tho ;) ). The first time she's been to see a band at a proper stand up gig (rather than a seated concert hall type thing) since she saw Cliff and the Shads and Gene Vincent at Grantham Barracks in 1962 or therabouts. She now wants to go and see more bands.

I think we just witnessed a real live living legend.

Uncle Ants, Mar 10, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

Graham C

I have heard it said a few times, that Mr James Patrick Page of LZep took up the guitar because of Scotty Moore.

Graham C, Mar 11, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Something else to be glad about then :)

Uncle Ants, Mar 12, 2004
Ask a Question